• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayate the Combat Butler! Cuties Series' Ad Aired

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
fskng wrote:

Nope, the Athena arc is not that long. Just like season 2 successfully adapted Vol.5 to Vol.15, the Athena arc (Vol.16 to Vol.26) could fit in a 26 episodes series as well.

Your number are off. That last thing Season 2 covered was about half-way through volume 14. I think it also pretty much skipped one volume (9?) almost entirely. Season 2 may have started at volume 5, but some parts had already been adapted in the first season and it chose to skip some other parts. So season 2 really only covered about 8 volumes of material.

A third season would have to cover some events before the End of the World flashback arc that starts the Athena storyline, because there's some stuff leading up to Golden Week before that that can't just be completely skipped. Certainly some things in there could be skipped, but they'd still have to adapt most of about 12 volumes of material. That's significantly more than what season 2 covered.
risingdarknessdragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
I hope Crunchyroll picked this up Smile
fskng

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
fskng wrote:
Gah, seriously this is getting worse and worse, Hata doesn't even try any more and just gives character fan-service. This is really becoming like one of those random sh*tty harem animes

Isn't that what Hayate was from the start?

Hayate was indeed always a "harem" love comedy. However, it was filled with manzai comedy, well placed references (Gundam 0079, Gunbuster, Votoms, etc...), character-development even for side characters, and the best narrator in the world (Norio Wakamoto).
And even if they were fan-service, it was in a comical manner. It also had a plot building on, leading to the athena arc. Not to mention some very well animated episodes (ep39 being the best) and average drawings.

Now, when we compare with season 3 & season 4, we have... Mediocre animation and drawings, no plot, no character-development, no references, no narrator. Only thing left is fan-service for weird otakus who only care about moe under-aged girls.

But it's not only manglobe, it's also Hata Kenjiro's fault since even the manga is falling apart, it's a shame. Sad

P.s: My english may not be perfect. Rolling Eyes
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I don't use harem as pejorative word, so clearly I was reacting to the adjectives "random" and "shitty." However, I would say the harem stuff was somewhat muted in the beginning of Hayate and only picked up steam as the series went on.

Around manga chapter 40 with the introductions of Hinagiku {annoying} and Ayumu {amazing} and with a series with over 400 chapters and going, it's pretty damn early. And those "random" and "shitty" tags aren't all that far off...

Cuties sounds more in line with the general showcase of the manga than a straight adaption would ever be. The original's fluff that randomly follows a character for a bit than drops them when someone else passes by.
mad mac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Now, when we compare with season 3 & season 4, we have... Mediocre animation and drawings, no plot, no character-development, no references, no narrator. Only thing left is fan-service for weird otakus who only care about moe under-aged girls.

That's a little unfair. Season 3 did have a plot, it just put 90% of the payoff in the last two episodes. And the animation was really good...sometimes. The combination of weird character design and wildly varying animation quality killed it hard.

I still like the manga, and I don't think it's all that different then it ever was. The biggest problem is that it takes forever to go anywhere because the cast has become so bloated that Hata can spend months just giving everyone a chapter.

I wouldn't say the harem elements have ever been that strong, either. The problem is you've basically got two kinds of readers-comedy fans and hardcore shippers, and the shippers have gotten more vocal over time. Every animated adaption from the second season on has been guilty of cherry-picking stories to highlight the "romance" stuff, even though it's a comparatively small part of the overall manga.

Quote:
A third season would have to cover some events before the End of the World flashback arc that starts the Athena storyline, because there's some stuff leading up to Golden Week before that that can't just be completely skipped. Certainly some things in there could be skipped, but they'd still have to adapt most of about 12 volumes of material. That's significantly more than what season 2 covered.

Not only is it long, it's also really, really old at this point. To tell it properly they'd have to pick back up to where the manga was 5 years ago, and that's not going to happen.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
risingdarknessdragon wrote:
I hope Crunchyroll picked this up Smile

All things considered, it would be be surprising if they don't.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I don't use harem as pejorative word, so clearly I was reacting to the adjectives "random" and "shitty." However, I would say the harem stuff was somewhat muted in the beginning of Hayate and only picked up steam as the series went on.

Around manga chapter 40 with the introductions of Hinagiku {annoying} and Ayumu {amazing} and with a series with over 400 chapters and going, it's pretty damn early. And those "random" and "shitty" tags aren't all that far off...

Cuties sounds more in line with the general showcase of the manga than a straight adaption would ever be. The original's fluff that randomly follows a character for a bit than drops them when someone else passes by.

Going of subject here, if viz would get the damn digital rights to the manga for their app simply because it would sell. Also it might help them if they pump out more than 2 physical volumes a year for the series so I can catch up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm only here for two reasons:

1.) Hinagiku

2.) Ruka

I couldn't give a rats anus about anything else (at least until I catch up anyway....)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2