• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sentai Filmworks Reveals Inu x Boku SS Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Most other Texan VAs are shackled to the beast that is Funimation up in Ft. Worth, and outsourcing to California is usually only done in very special cases. Yeah, Sentai's in-house talent pool is definitely in need of new blood if they want to remain competitive.

They're not "shackled". They are freelancers, though some may not want to take the (*gets out Google Maps for research*) 4-hour drive to the other city.

Also, there are a surprising number of new names in Seraphim dubs lately, looking over the large casts such as Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere and Bodacious Space Pirates.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
they will have to dig deeper come season 2 of Horizon, or else we might hear Andrew Love as 10 other characters plus the 3 he already voices.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Panzer Vor wrote:
Most other Texan VAs are shackled to the beast that is Funimation up in Ft. Worth, and outsourcing to California is usually only done in very special cases. Yeah, Sentai's in-house talent pool is definitely in need of new blood if they want to remain competitive.

They're not "shackled". They are freelancers, though some may not want to take the (*gets out Google Maps for research*) 4-hour drive to the other city.

Also, there are a surprising number of new names in Seraphim dubs lately, looking over the large casts such as Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere and Bodacious Space Pirates.

Yeah, obviously Panzer hasn't been paying much attention to the cast announcements. Though I guess they are dubbing a lot now, so it can be a little hard to keep track. There have been a lot of new voices in Sentai/Seraphim dubs, not to mention the return of older voices we don't hear much anymore (if at all.)

They do tend to have the same issue as Funimation in that they use popular VA's a bit too much for the lead roles, but supporting roles have a decent amount of variety.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
they will have to dig deeper come season 2 of Horizon, or else we might hear Andrew Love as 10 other characters plus the 3 he already voices.

To be honest, the Horizon dub is...not good. I watched the first episode dubbed a few months ago and maybe it's because I'm used to the Japanese voices, but I couldn't go throughout half of the episode before I turned it off. Seriously, ow.

EDIT: Aaaaand it turns out that Stephen Foster directed the dub. Of course.

Why does Sentai keep this jackass around, again?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
getchman wrote:

To be honest, the Horizon dub is...not good. I watched the first episode dubbed a few months ago and maybe it's because I'm used to the Japanese voices, but I couldn't go throughout half of the episode before I turned it off. Seriously, ow.

Sorry, I forgot that your personal opinion is the opinion of everyone else.

Personally, I didn't care for Horizon much, though I haven't watched the second season. However, I found the dub much more enjoyable than the original Japanese, though both had some issues.

Plus, I really don't think you can judge the dub quality of an entire show by watching just half of the first episode. I've never seen a dub that wasn't rough for the at least the first 2 or 3 episodes (and usually longer.) I recently started trying to watch FMA: Brotherhood and nearly wanted to drive pencils into my ears. I know it improves, but the first couple episodes are a chore to get through.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

some are good, especially the folks who have been around longer like Josh Grelle, Monica Rial, and Luci Christian. I really liked Futayo's father and the Principle, both of whom where among the few who could actually pronounce everything correctly. Foster didn't do anything funny with this one. Everything that's said in Japanese, they say in English, minus the honorifics

Last edited by getchman on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh mai. Heard about this over twitter... it looks like Chris Patton posted a little rant on his facebook page regarding reactions to the announcement of this dub's cast. Might he be referring to this thread?

Chris Patton wrote:
Okay, so here's my little Thursday morning rant:

I followed the thread that unraveled regarding the Inu X Boku SS dub, and I'm just going to put this out there for anyone who gives two shits: I am so DONE with all the stupid, whitewashing hatred of Steven Foster's work, and especially the presumption that he hates Anime and would rather be somewhere else writing for a sitcom. Goddamit. It's so easy for somebody to sit behind a [expletive] keyboard and peck away their opinion to broadcast to all of Otaku-dom, while, say, STEVEN FOSTER, is up at Sentai sometimes seven days a week, sometimes sleeping on one of the couches in the studios at night instead of going home, because he's working his ass off to put out what he considers good or great work. I watch this man work all the time, I see and hear his passion for what he's doing, and then I read bullshit on the internet about how half of what he turns out is practically ruinous. What this all translates as to me is, "Steven Foster didn't handle the dub EXACTLY the way I would have, and zohmygodz he even took some liberties!" Ya know what? Go open your OWN studio, hire an amazing engineer (or three), get a bunch of backers to put out the highest quality work you can fathom, become (I guess) your own Producer/ Director, have a casting call, get a legal team to write up your contracts, hire some incredible translators and writers, then YOU go make Anime the way YOU want it done. I've read this anti-Foster drivel for over ten years, and it's just SO. DAMN. TIRESOME. Especially when I know the guy, see him working his ass off, and on top of that NEVER expecting any critical praise or recognition. He just shows up, does his work (and does it well) and then moves on to the next. He has even refused convention invites because he believes that fans, and I'm paraphrasing, "don't want to see the directors, they don't really care, they want to see the actors, and that's fine".

And believe me, I don't need to speak for the guy. He's incredibly strong-willed, opinionated, erudite, eloquent, and thick-skinned. I'm doing this on my own, because sometimes you can only take so much bullshit from people who think it is their divine right to be delivered cheap, impeccably produced Anime that meets every little standard on their fantasy checklist.

When all is said an done, yes, everybody has the right to an opinion, and we are all free to express ourselves however, wherever, and whenenver we wish. And while it's not my desire to personally "stop all the Foster haters", I would at least like people to be aware of that at which they hurl there invectives and tirades.

And with that, my tirade ends. Smile

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chris-Patton-Voice-Over-Artist-Actor-Singer-Writer/75047954615

Quite interesting.... quite interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Chris Patton has a reputation for being blunt when he needs to be. I have to agree with him this time. If you don't like someone's work, that's fine. However, that's no reason to assume that the person hates what they've been doing for over a decade and are intentionally putting out bad product. To call someone lazy or incompetent when you really aren't familiar with them or the situation is just bullshit.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
Patton is commendable for standing up for his friend and colleague, but at the same time, a lot of the criticism is very valid. While Foster's done some good work in the past few years as well, so much of the work he's put out has just been rather subpar or poor.

Personally, my take on Foster is that he's a lot like Rob Liefeld. He is very passionate about anime and really loves and respects what he does for a living. He's just... not very good at it. Neutral

Plus, there's a big difference between "taking some liberties" and throwing in jokes about Sarah Palin and PetSmart. Confused
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To call someone lazy or incompetent when you really aren't familiar with them or the situation is just bullshit.

The second half of Guin Saga had way too much goofing around. It seemed like they were intentionally crapping on it. The author had just passed away, too.

Mr Patton can defend his friend all he wants, but he is not going to bully me into liking something I found offensive. Am I really supposed to think all that "funny stuff" in the second half of Guin Saga was unintentional?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Aniamerican: Clearly Patton isn't saying that because he's on Foster's payroll. Clearly.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Aniamerican: Clearly Patton isn't saying that because he's on Foster's payroll. Clearly.

I didn't realize Stephen wrote out all of Seraphim's checks. I forgot you had such inside knowledge of their studio.

Plus, I see the majority of the VA's who work in Houston haven't made any comments like this. So what was your point? Don't forget that this is the same VA that regularly bashed Funimation both before and after he worked there (both times he stopped recording there.). So, he's not the type to kiss butt to keep a job.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Quote:
To call someone lazy or incompetent when you really aren't familiar with them or the situation is just bullshit.

Mr Patton can defend his friend all he wants, but he is not going to bully me into liking something I found offensive. Am I really supposed to think all that "funny stuff" in the second half of Guin Saga was unintentional?

Just to be fair-- I think you might've missed part of the point-- if you read all the way down to the end of Patton's little facebook rant, in the last paragraph...
Quote:
When all is said an done, yes, everybody has the right to an opinion, and we are all free to express ourselves however, wherever, and whenenver we wish. And while it's not my desire to personally "stop all the Foster haters", I would at least like people to be aware of that at which they hurl there invectives and tirades.

You'll see that he's not emphasizing whether or not you LIKE the work he makes, but emphasizing how wrong he feels it is to be blanket-crapping over all of Foster's work if not his very person. Too many times I've seen it said that "Foster doesn't care"; for many people, if they don't find a dub to their liking, or even if they just find it "average" in their eyes, that simply means "OH FOSTER JUST DOESN'T CARE." Now while some of what he's done has at least appeared to veer within close striking range of Foster "just not caring," like what might've been the case of portions of Guin saga (is the whole rest of the dub's second half about as bad as that infamous 8-minute clip, even?), I don't think it's fair to say that he "doesn't care" when it comes to much, if not most, of his other work. Who really knows how much he cares or invests himself in adapting a work other than himself, a higher power, and those that have interacted with him? We can speculate as much as want, but beyond the dubs that he has put out, anecdotal evidence & arguments such as Patton's, and words said by Foster that have been archived somewhere (have we known him to say anything more recent than that Le Chevalier d'Eon-related ANN interview some years ago?), we fans don't really have anything to go by. At best, we can only speculate to the best of our critical ability, being careful to not put so much stock in it that the speculation becomes hard "fact."

tldr; Feel free to think the work is "bad" or "good", but be more cautious about judging the very person/character that's behind that work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2