• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Spice & Wolf Novel 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
We may actually end up getting the whole thing! And that is rare indeed for light novels in North America.

That would be awesome!

I was disappointed that we only got the Crest of the Stars novels and none of the Banner of the Stars books, and I'm super disappointed that it appears Tokyopop is not going publish the other Twelve Kingdoms novels.

I've been enjoying the Spice and Wolf books, so to get them all here would be fantastic.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
We may actually end up getting the whole thing! And that is rare indeed for light novels in North America.

That would be awesome!

I was disappointed that we only got the Crest of the Stars novels and none of the Banner of the Stars books, and I'm super disappointed that it appears Tokyopop is not going publish the other Twelve Kingdoms novels.

I've been enjoying the Spice and Wolf books, so to get them all here would be fantastic.

Well, I don't want to count our eggs before the5 hatch, but it's certainly looking good at this point. With the release of the 4th book in June, they'll be a quarter of the way through the series. It'll have to keep on selling for 6 years after that though, if we're going to get them all (at 2 a year, with 12 remaining). And, unfortunately, pretty much anything could happen in 6 years. Still, the releases keep on coming, and so things are looking good. It would be nice to know how well it's been selling though. Hopefully the sales have been strong and hopefully they'll continue to be strong. I'd really like to read them all, and I can't read Japanese. Smile Though considering how few light novels make it over here, it starts to become tempting to learn (though considering how hard it is to read French, and I'm fluent in French as a second language, learning to read Japanese does not strike me as being even vaguely easy; it would be very easy to spend an enormous amount of time trying to learn and still not really be able to read any light novels).

As for The Twelve Kingdoms, I heard that it was a rights issue with Kodansha, so it may be that Kodansha will release them themselves (if they do, hopefully they do a better job than Tokypop has been doing - like not forgetting to put chapters in the book). But still, it's definitely frustrating given that The Twelve Kingdoms is one of the few light novel series which has actually been being released regularly in North America. Almost every light novel series that I've picked up has been canceled or put on permanent hiatus. And then there are those series such as The Familiar of Zero which get licensed but never released.

In any case, at least we're getting Spice and Wolf. It's a great series.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:

You can add the Boogiepop Phantom novels to that list, too.

I do dearly hope that Kalessin is right and the rights issues surrounding the remaining Twelve Kingdoms novels will either get sorted out or Kodansha will release them directly, as that series has more cross-over potential into the general fantasy market than others mentioned. Other series have proved fairly successful (the Vampire Hunter D novels got up into the double-digits in English releases, I believe) so the cause isn't hopeless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Maybe American companies would learn a trend there: that J-light novels don't sell. Laughing
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see more of the Ballad of a Shinigami light novel series! Also, I'm really glad that Tokyopop started releasing the Chibi Vampire novels again! That franchise just keeps going and going ... (but I love it!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2