• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Police Identify Serial Burglar by Hello Kitty Sandals

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nechronius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
If you think an innocent man was arrested due to the possession of a screwdriver then you think the movie Jaws was about a shark.

There are many factors going into crime investigation and I'm sure there are plenty of details being left out for the sake of not revealing too much.

For example, just the footprints alone will provide a thousand clues. What is the shoe size. Are they pigeon toed. Do they favor one foot or have a limp. how do they walk. Approximate height and weight. Are the prints themselves indicating new sandals or old ones.

And that's just scratching the surface. Based on when the crimes were reported and a person's work schedule you can narrow down the list of suspects.

Now focus on the tool used. All entrances were pried open by a screwdriver. Is the screwdriver a certain size or shape? Does it leave a distinctive tool mark? Is the culprit tall or short?

Add up all those factors and how many people do you think drive around when a crime is committed that match a certain height/weight profile, walk a certain way, and wear sandals of a specific size that are worn out to a particular degree. Now catch them with a screwdriver that matches the distinctive width/shape/mark and ask yourself what are the odds all of these factors are purely coincidental.

I'm not saying this man *is* the criminal. But if they arrested him there must have been enough corroborating evidence to satisfy the requirements for arrest based on Japanese law.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
Looks like curiosity....caught the cat burglar.

YEEEEAAAAAAHHHH!!

Sorry people, my mom and I watch CSI Miami so I had to.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Article wrote:
The police allege that Kanda was involved in 452 burglaries between 2004 and 2010, involving a total of 55.5 million yen (approximately US$678,154.50).
Took them long enough. Rolling Eyes
isoge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
betrayed by anime... glad I'm not this guy Smile
DarkDutchess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Laughing This made my day. Of all the ways to be caught lol
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I agree with nechronius, but can you imagine how those introductions would go when placed in his jail cell?
Quote:
1st guy: So, what are you all in for?
2nd guy: Uploading anime.
3rd guy: Downloading manga scans for distribution.
2nd guy: How about you?
1st guy: Wearing Hello Kitty sandals while in possession of a screwdriver.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
If you think an innocent man was arrested due to the possession of a screwdriver then you think the movie Jaws was about a shark.

There are many factors going into crime investigation and I'm sure there are plenty of details being left out for the sake of not revealing too much.

For example, just the footprints alone will provide a thousand clues. What is the shoe size. Are they pigeon toed. Do they favor one foot or have a limp. how do they walk. Approximate height and weight. Are the prints themselves indicating new sandals or old ones.

And that's just scratching the surface. Based on when the crimes were reported and a person's work schedule you can narrow down the list of suspects.

Now focus on the tool used. All entrances were pried open by a screwdriver. Is the screwdriver a certain size or shape? Does it leave a distinctive tool mark? Is the culprit tall or short?

Add up all those factors and how many people do you think drive around when a crime is committed that match a certain height/weight profile, walk a certain way, and wear sandals of a specific size that are worn out to a particular degree. Now catch them with a screwdriver that matches the distinctive width/shape/mark and ask yourself what are the odds all of these factors are purely coincidental.

I'm not saying this man *is* the criminal. But if they arrested him there must have been enough corroborating evidence to satisfy the requirements for arrest based on Japanese law.

Dude read this
Quote:
police in Saitama prefecture east of Tokyo spotted 36-year-old truck driver Masakazu Kanda wearing the shoes and questioned him, making the arrest after finding him in possession of a screwdriver thought to be used in the thefts.
and not tell me what part of that sounds like a clear cut investigations to you. I mean they saw a guy wearing sandals and then started questioning him (he was probably making deliveries, since he is a truck driver) and then later find a "Screwdriver" in this tool box. Just ask yourself, would someone wearing sandals that match the brand of the ones worn by the burglar warrant interrogating the person on the spot, let along approaching him and then going through his stuff.

Also, there is how many people going through a store a day, what's to say that he didn't make a delivery to that particular location and went inside to get a signature that he did his job, but later the police misunderstood those foot prints for a burglar intent then that of a person doing their job. I mean there is bound to be many foot prints at the location, especially if it's a store. Who's to say that it's a story or a house. We don't have enough information from this article to make a proper deduction of the situation.

However, THE wording of this article and the amount of info provided by it make it very questionable to see as to how the cops were able to come to the deduction that a stranger in Kello Kitty sandals who is in the position of a "screwdriver" is inextricably linked to the crime scene, that my friend is the preposterous picture that is painted in viewers minds when they read this article. Weither he is guilty or not, in not for just to decide, for we don't have enough information on the matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2