• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fractale's French Simulcast Still Continues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Wait. Funimation has to cancel their 360p stream, but France can keep it's FREE 1080p going?

What bullshit.

I think the theories about English subtitles possibly being put on the JP DVD or BDs being the reason for the US stream getting yanked are starting to sound a little more realistic.

I was one of those people who posted that theory.

I will also be one of the people who boycott the JP BD if it turns out to be true.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this is too much. When they made the Funimation announcement, I was perplexed, but wrote it off as paranoia on the part of the Japanese rights holders and ranted about people making illegal copies ruining it for everyone else. This discovery, though . . . it seems patently unfair, unless there is information we don't have. Why should Funimation have all the responsibility for scrubbing the internet of illegal copies? What about the original rights holders, or the French licensees? It could be the case that the Japanese WOULD have pulled the French stream as well if not for different contract terms, perhaps, but that is pure speculation. Or maybe there's something deeper going on, like some people have suggested, I don't know. It's seriously shady, though.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I've got it! I'll just buy and restore a DeLorean, finish up my prototype flux capacitor, go back in time and tell myself to take French in high school instead of Spanish. Then, when this event arrives...I'll be prepared! It's brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, I tell you! Genius, I say! ...Or, to save on gasoline, I'll just watch illegal English fansubs.

/Took two years of Spanish. Only remember two words.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
I'll just watch illegal English fansubs.

/Took two years of Spanish. Only remember two words.

Better still, watch the spanish fansub (yes Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus) and those two years will come back to you in no time Smile
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
How...wrong. When FPC decided to cut off Funimation, I just thought it was them being idiotic and that their understanding of illegal subs/streaming with next to nil. Now...

So, maybe they do understand the Internet. Maybe they want the English subs for DVD/BD release or have a new vendetta against Funimation or English releases. Maybe something else. But with this understanding on the 'Net, maybe they decided, using a contractual loophole, to stop the English simulcast without having to say "We don't like you anymore" by giving Funimation an impossible task (that isn't even their fault).

Ah, FPC...Ah, FPC...Please prove me wrong. I rather have it be a lack of fansub knowledge than that.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
As I said in the other thread, FUNimation's license is likely for the English-language rights. Which means that, technically, they are responsible for unauthorized English subs of the show. If/when French rips/subs show up, I'm sure the FPC will do the same thing with the French version.
InsaneLampshade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Alternate theory... they wanted an excuse to break the contract so they can negotiate a deal with crunchyroll instead.

More $$$ from crunchyroll subscriptions than a free stream.
Denys

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Hello, I am Denys from Wakanim.

Before this topic becomes "French-bashing", let me make a few comments. Smile

Actually we have not noticed illegal recordings or fansubs for Fractale. This time it seems that the French fansubbers communities decided to respect the rights, which is the reason why this simulcast can go on. Another important point is that the broadcaster is responsible for its videos [edit, as you just said, Dessa].

[Now a few details about this piece of news: this simulcast's broadcasting rights actually belong to Wakanim. For right reasons, the program is region-locked, as the article says it, but it is not only available in France. It can be watched in Belgium, Switzerland, Morroco, Algeria and Tunisia (French speaking Canada can access the premium service). Last detail, the series was announced on our website on the 5th of January, not on the 15th].

We hope everybody can watch Fractale again. As long as we watched it, the series deserve it!
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
There's a major flaw in that statement Denys, in that if the broadcaster was responsible for their videos, that wouldn't just include Funimation but also Japanese broadcasters since it's those raws that the fansub groups are using. Not every group rips off funi subs and stream, some of them go from the ground up using raws. How, then, is Funimation supposed to stop something such as people obtaining raws from something outside of their own control?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
@Denys

If that is true, the only thing requirement to also stop french simulcasts of Fractale is to extract the subtitle script from a soft-subbed episode, use goggle to translate it to french, upload it somewhere, make a torrent of it and bang? Man, when a was young being a villain required at the very least to get a busty damsel, use some rope to make sure she would not run from the railroad track and be sure to take a photo just in case the police didn't find a single piece after the train went over.

No, I am not doing it, telling a master plan before achieving it is so 20th century. But hey, there are millions of people in the net.
citizenplain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Denys wrote:
Hello, I am Denys from Wakanim.

Before this topic becomes "French-bashing", let me make a few comments. Smile

Actually we have not noticed illegal recordings or fansubs for Fractale. This time it seems that the French fansubbers communities decided to respect the rights, which is the reason why this simulcast can go on. Another important point is that the broadcaster is responsible for its videos [edit, as you just said, Dessa].

[Now a few details about this piece of news: this simulcast's broadcasting rights actually belong to Wakanim. For right reasons, the program is region-locked, as the article says it, but it is not only available in France. It can be watched in Belgium, Switzerland, Morroco, Algeria and Tunisia (French speaking Canada can access the premium service). Last detail, the series was announced on our website on the 5th of January, not on the 15th].

We hope everybody can watch Fractale again. As long as we watched it, the series deserve it!

Denys,

I don't think anyone holds France, or the French speaking peoples of the world responsible for the decisions of the Japanese production company. I'm glad that somebody is getting this show streaming.
Patitoz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
There's a major flaw in that statement Denys, in that if the broadcaster was responsible for their videos, that wouldn't just include Funimation but also Japanese broadcasters since it's those raws that the fansub groups are using. Not every group rips off funi subs and stream, some of them go from the ground up using raws. How, then, is Funimation supposed to stop something such as people obtaining raws from something outside of their own control?

I suppose Funi just has to clean and stop rips from their stream...
Who said they have to clean everything (ANN ? Rolling Eyes)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Zac already said that he talked to FUNi they said that the FPC wanted ALL English fansubs/rips/whatever of Fractale eliminated.

@Denys I applaud the French and their ability to support the legitimate streams. I looked for a few minutes and you were right. I could not find a single stream or torrent or DDL for Fractale in French, other than on what.tv

I was going to point out that there are probably many French subs for other simulcasts on what.tv, but I then noticed (I think) that Fractale is the first, since I could only see trailers and the 2 episodes of Fractale in the video section. So I guess I cannot do that, heh.

Hahah, the filter automatically takes what into what... oh you silly filter.
citizenplain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Patitoz wrote:
Daemonblue wrote:

I suppose Funi just has to clean and stop rips from their stream...
Who said they have to clean everything (ANN ? Rolling Eyes)

Zac did in fact say that, but he quotes Funimation as his source.

Again, it's a good thing that this show is being streamed legally in France. I can't speak for all American fans here, but I don't bear anyone a grudge.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't bear a grudge for the French.

But it feels bias that it's just FUNImation who has to clean all of the illegal copies. Why aren't the FPC asking the French to help them? Why just FUNI? I don't understand that, if they really wanted all of the illegal copies out, why are they forcing all the work onto FUNI? Wouldn't it help if another companies (who has licensed Fractale for simulcast) aids FUNI getting rid of the illegal copies?

If anyone can answer these questions, please do. And note, I am mad so I ranted a bit while questioning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6