• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Hires Shane Black for Hollywood Death Note Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Thunderbird- wrote:
Oh man, I thought of something. Imagine if Light in the movie says "Just according to keikaku" and a subtitle at the the bottom says "Keikaku means plan." Wouldn't that be great! Laughing

You do know that the point of filming this is English is to avoid Japanophile subtitle fan wankery like that? Speak English, buddy. That or learn Japanese and speak that. Thinking it's oh so brilliant to speak some bastard hybridization of both just makes anime fans look like complete morons. It's one thing I wish anime fandom would just grow up and get over.

And I swear if I hear one more One Piece fan wank on about "nakama" I'm going to kick them when the nakama don't shine.
Nineofclubs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I love Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, though i dont know i feel about a live action Deathnote, since they're apparently going through with it I think they made the right choice in director.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
From the article it sounds like they're throwing out all the scripts (including the "leaked" one) and starting over with an attempt to be as close to the manga as possible, with an eye towards maintaining the supernatural elements and its genre-crossing. He also says it's his favorite manga, though it's always hard to tell if he actually means that, or if it's just standard issue Hollywood PR douchebaggery.

I consider this good news on the whole, though it's still resolutely too early to tell anything at all.

No mention of Zac Efron in the source article. I don't think he's attached. He might look too old now...
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Woah what. This is actually happening? I know movies get to the "we found a director" stage before falling apart all the time, but I had just assumed there was no real activity on the project.

I always thought Death Note could make a good movie, as long as certain elements were removed or altered. In, particular the Shinigami character designs cannot possibly work in live action, and I was appalled when the Japanese movies tried it.

Also: I'd love it if they got that guy who played Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network to be L. He seems to the have the whole "quirky and mildly sociopathic genius" thing down well.

mglittlerobin wrote:
I wonder if they'll "Americanize" it.

Yes, they will. We don't have to wonder- it's 100% guaranteed that they will. They're not going to make a movie set in Japan or with Japanese characters.
rare_pvk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they'll try to be true to the manga/anime but I really doubt it, all I can wish for is that what ever adaptation path they choose to follow appeals to me.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I understand why they are doing this. Hollywood does not/will not create new original screenplays because they only make films now that will make money, though most of them are awful. They are trying to take tested, succesful anime/manga titles and try to capitalize on them. I understand that, maybe, and it's a big MAYBE, they are trying to draw the non-anime fans in, and try and turn them into anime fans, but as we have all seen (Astro Boy, Speed Racer, Dragon Ball), it's failed and miserably at that.

The rumored Cowboy Bebop and Akira film is seriously just a disgrace. I can't believe they are going to take two great titles and destroy them. I don't care who directs/produces/stars in it, they should leave them alone.

Does anyone else here agree with me?
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Wooooow.

^^ All that was going through my mind. Hmm. Fruits Basket, Death Note, it's all getting brought over, ain't it? I've heard the rumors, so it's kind of a shock to see the real announcement, since that's all I thought they were. I actually kind of like the idea of Hollywood adaptations, if they don't take them apart and leave just the foundation (we have 4kids for that, don't we?). I feel like it's spreading the story around the world, and it shows that there are people out there who recognize our precious animes~

I wanna be in one of these. Somehow. Some way...hehe...hehehe...just watch me, L...*slinks off into dark corner with a bag of Lays*
silentjay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:

Yeah, leave it to the Japanese to ruin anime franchises with live action remakes.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
I understand why they are doing this. Hollywood does not/will not create new original screenplays because they only make films now that will make money, though most of them are awful. They are trying to take tested, succesful anime/manga titles and try to capitalize on them. I understand that, maybe, and it's a big MAYBE, they are trying to draw the non-anime fans in, and try and turn them into anime fans, but as we have all seen (Astro Boy, Speed Racer, Dragon Ball), it's failed and miserably at that.

The rumored Cowboy Bebop and Akira film is seriously just a disgrace. I can't believe they are going to take two great titles and destroy them. I don't care who directs/produces/stars in it, they should leave them alone.

Being unimpressed by Hollywood adaptions of anime so far, I must say I agree.

Death Note is not something that is easily adaptable. Then again, a lot of anime/manga/books/games aren't.

A couple of years ago when I was really obsessed with Death Note, my main concern was the Americanization. Now, I just hope it won't be a case of severe adaption decay.

I'm still against an American Death Note adaption, but... *shrugs*

Maybe it won't turn out to be a complete fail. (I mean, I'm looking forward to the Monster live action move, and I'm hoping that will turn out acceptable, maybe even good. If it ever gets released, that is...)

Last edited by Pocky Monster on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
So, they fired the previous two screenwriters? Thank God. Their leaked script was a mess. They kept the events extremely close to the manga, but they added an awful plotline about "Luke Murray"'s mother instead of the Naomi Misora plotline. And in the end "Luke" threw away the Death Note. Happy ending.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Xenos: The Japanese movies were fine. I don't need to endure another convoluted and long-winded heist sub-plot or a self-serving Kira cult in live-action form. And I always felt the one flaw in the manga was that L was intentionally dumbed down in order to get him to lose to Light. Fortunately, the movies rectified that problem.

Penguin: Nabbing a director doesn't always guarantee a greenlight. See Watchmen. Funny you brought up Social Network, though, as I was just thinking Fincher would've been a better fit as director for DN. Don't think Eisenberg would work for this one, though, as he'll be older than the characters by the time they actually get moving on it. Laughing I did like this fake one-sheet I found on IMDB, though. Rolling Eyes But my pick for L would just be Matsuyama himself, because I can't think of anyone who could replace him. Unfortunately, we'll probably get Justin Long or Ashton Kutcher-or worse, that Percy Jackson kid. *sigh* Still, I'm game if they cast Jay Chou. He was the only thing tolerable about that Hornet movie, and his hair is sort of L-like. And he's already got the eccentric genius part down pat.

Toriko: I think you can make good LA Bebop movie, but no one wants to spend the money it would need to turn it into the next Star Trek reboot. Akira's a different beast, though. I mean, just the f***ing title is Japanese alone. And while that might just be the name of the child character, it's also come to embody Japanese pop culture, much like Godzilla. Yeah, I know Otomo was ironically inspired by Western movies like Rebel without a Cause and 2001, so this could technically be interpreted as a full circle thing. But dammit, it still had its own vision and I don't like the idea of it being undoubtedly dumbed down into another Bayformers-esque teen CG explosion crap-fest. Yeah, Otomo's supposedly attached to it, but then up until around LXG, Alan Moore was once attached to movie adaptations of his comics, too. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by GATSU on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen any Shane Black films, but if they are as enjoyable as people say...We may have hope here.

I'm expecting them to Americanize it. However, that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable if done properly. If it's a fine standalone film, then what is the issue? Admittedly, the previous attempts at making American adaptations of anime/manga haven't been great. But then again, Death Note is an entirely different beast, we have a seemingly talented director, and, with any hope, the film won't be stuck in development Hell (or with a failing company).

It's not like the Japanese films were that great. Ryuk looked awkward (to me) and, overall, the plots and scripts were messy. They were also restricted to a Japanese cast (though that isn't their fault, of course), when it was clear that several characters weren't. Hopefully, even if Light and his family turn out to be Caucasian, we can also get characters of Japanese and European descent.
Sweetre15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Actually, judging from this article, it seems like Shane Black doesnt really want to Americanize it. Have y'all noticed this quote:

Quote:
“It’s my favorite manga, I was just struck by its unique and brilliant sensibility,” Black said. “What we want to do is take it back to that manga, and make it closer to what is so complex and truthful about the spirituality of the story, versus taking the concept and trying to copy it as an American thriller. Jeff Robinov and Greg Silverman liked that.

Remember versus is similar in context to saying "as opposed to", "against", or "instead of"
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Thunderbird- wrote:
Oh man, I thought of something. Imagine if Light in the movie says "Just according to keikaku" and a subtitle at the the bottom says "Keikaku means plan." Wouldn't that be great! Laughing

You do know that the point of filming this is English is to avoid Japanophile subtitle fan wankery like that? Speak English, buddy. That or learn Japanese and speak that. Thinking it's oh so brilliant to speak some bastard hybridization of both just makes anime fans look like complete morons. It's one thing I wish anime fandom would just grow up and get over.

And I swear if I hear one more One Piece fan wank on about "nakama" I'm going to kick them when the nakama don't shine.

Not exactly like that, maybe he means something like this:

Light:Just according to the keikaku.
Ryuk: If my memory serves right, Keikaku means "plan" in Japanese, right? Why are you're using a Japanese word for that?
Light: Because it sounds cool and original.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm feeling better and better about this. I'm not worried about the "Americanization" so long as they stay close to the original concept which it sounds like they're doing. And I believe it can be done; this isn't like Dragonball which shouldn't have even been attempted in the first place.

My main concern is that they would turn Light's character into some kind of goth teenage loner like the Columbine killers. But it's obvious at least in the anime, that Light is smart AND fairly popular. Of course, according to Hollywood, such teenagers don't exist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5