• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Yu-Gi-Oh! Series to Be Announced in February

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I smell a growing rivalry between the Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise. I would take Yu-Gi-Oh! over Pokemon any day.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
taster of pork wrote:
I just want an uncensored first season. Is that too much to ask?

You and me both.

I want the entire series uncensored. Yet that seems to be too much to ask for. T-T
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't think i would buy season zero if it was made available to buy. If Toei wanted to stream it subbed like the Harlock, Galaxy Express 999 FOTNS ect. I'd be up for watching though i'd prefer more harlock to yugioh
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I can see it now. Yu-Gi-Oh will decide to get into another popular genre, like Vampires playing card games, or Witches and Wizards on broomsticks playing card games. I'd watch that...LOL
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
makes for some good abridged jokes Anime hyper
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
Wow all this hate, and yet I don't see anybody complaining about Pokemon and its 10 billion series, or the fact they brought back Digimon from the grave. You act like Yu-gi-oh is the one that broke the camels back, give me a break here

The main reason being, both series actually manages to stay to it's core idea.

Look at Yu-Gi-Oh; a reincarnated pharaoh, an academy on how to play cards, and playing cards on a motorcycle. How many convoluted storylines can they hatch?
Dinoguy1000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
I smell a growing rivalry between the Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise. I would take Yu-Gi-Oh! over Pokemon any day.

Personally, I have fond memories of Pokemon, not long after it made it stateside. Thinking back, in fact, that may have been my gateway series. Smile

At this point, the main reason I still count myself amongst Yu-Gi-Oh! fans is because I collect the card game, as opposed to any anime or manga being released. I tried reading the first chapter of 5D's in the January 2011 Shonen Jump, and didn't make it halfway through before I gave up. It'll be the first series in SJ that I *don't* read. =P
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
barrelroller wrote:

The spinoff series look like a joke, I thought GX looked meh, but it seemed 5DS put it down even lower (and my expectations for this series obviously aren't high either). I haven't exactly kept up with the YGO universe lately, but are GX & 5DS based off a manga, or are they anime only?

Both GX and 5D's are anime-first productions. The manga for each came out after/while the anime aired. Not sure if you've actually seen either series, but both have their high points, once you get out the "CARD GAMES IN/ON ____" mindset.

Also FYI . I liked both GX as well as 5d's. Also their dub versions was not as badly chopped up liked the first one , which is the 2nd credit i'll only give to the horror that is 4kids.

As for the movie itself, if the dub is similar to the movie , i'll probably enjoy it.

But it's like the first poster says, it's gonna be quite a while before a proper company FINALLY rescues the series and do a proper eng dub for the series. I say the sonner the better.

Also FYI , if it comes between a choice between pokemon and yugioh , i'll take pokemon any day of the week. cause at least their video games Don't suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darkrunner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
The first two seasons of 5D's were the best of any of the three series--interesting, well developed characters, short duels, cool plot, romance, action, family, nakama!power, and more. If they can make this new one as good as the Dark Signer arc, we'll be all set. If we wind up with another WRGP... well, then this series is going to be awful. But it has the potential to be really awesome. (even for those of us who don't play card games)
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Who questioned this? I thought it was well known 5Ds was not the end, at least ever since Kaz said 5Ds was just the beginning. I think the movie sparked his interest in his old franchise, so he wants it to continue.

And 4kids will get it, lets just leave it at that.

You guys can't hate 4kids, they have 5Ds subbed.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
darkrunner wrote:
The first two seasons of 5D's were the best of any of the three series--interesting, well developed characters, short duels, cool plot, romance, action, family, nakama!power, and more. If they can make this new one as good as the Dark Signer arc, we'll be all set. If we wind up with another WRGP... well, then this series is going to be awful. But it has the potential to be really awesome. (even for those of us who don't play card games)

That i agree with you 100%. Though them topping of the Dark Signers arc and the Fortune Cup arc is gonns be really tricky, especially the last ep of the fortune cup. Also I do agree a but of not needing another WRGP , though I do like the Axcel Syncros which was probably why the entire WRGP arc was based on.

Not to mentioned some green eyes for one of the main female cast Laughing

And the other ep which included the duel boards and those machine emperor infinity did help from preventing the arc from being stale. If they include something new powers like the intro of "Fusion Syncro" or an Axcel Fusion Syncro. It might make the intro of another WRGP tolorable. But Barely.

cohenmarioman wrote:
Who questioned this? I thought it was well known 5Ds was not the end, at least ever since Kaz said 5Ds was just the beginning. I think the movie sparked his interest in his old franchise, so he wants it to continue.

And 4kids will get it, lets just leave it at that.

You guys can't hate 4kids, they have 5Ds subbed.

Ah for the misery they have given the anime community especially to the rep of eng dubs and almost destroying it's credibility and giving to the rise of a massive fansub and illegal download & streaming outbreak , HELL YES WE ALL HATE THEM!!!!!!

And Really? A yugioh series in eng sub and completely uncensored.
and by 4crap kids not less??? Shocked

Not gonna happen.

Especially to keep parental advocates off of their backs since their selling their TCG to kids.

They've tried an uncut version with the original and it bombed really badly. They failed then and they will not do that again. especially since their very existence is hanging by a thread. Barely.

Like it or not. Unless viz media rescues the series and give it the Naruto treatment when they showed it during Cartoon Network's Toonami era (god i miss it badly) it will be on a cold day in hell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I think if you look in the present, you'll find some cool stuff.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/193679/yu-gi-oh-5ds-darkness-that-engulfs-all-immortal-dark-signer#s-p1-so-i1

http://www.toonzaki.com/shows

All by 4kids.

It was more Funimation's fault the uncuts ended, they cut short change of 4kids other DVD sets and only advertised the Yugioh uncut one. With Toonzaki, anything is possible
The Anagelic One

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so they're replacing 5Ds already, or is this another spin off like Cr*psule Monsters?

And just then I brought the first Season boxset too. Have not seen GX or 5Ds much, because GX is nothing like the original, and just not had time with 5Ds or subs.

Dunno why everyone's worked up to see Season Zero get a release. Its not as dark or violent as the manga...
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
5Ds is ending. This is a replacement just as GX was for DM and 5Ds for GX.
Mizuneko2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:33 am Reply with quote
Raise your hand if your very first thought upon reading the headline was "Another one?"
The Anagelic One

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if Tristan will be able to predict the future again.

Yugi: What the hell are you riding a motorcycle?

Tristian: Because one day, card games will be played on motorcycles in the future!

Yugi: ...THAT is the stupidest thing I've ever heard! Card games on motorcycle, come on...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3