• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sunday Spotlight [2005-04-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:
So Cartoon Network is letting Viz edit Naruto?

UH OH!

But given the track record with letting studios do their own edits, that could go anywhere from minimum edits to overly done edits. I can't help but remember when FLCL and Blue Gender both started at the same time a few years ago on Adult Swim. Synch-Point barely edited FLCL, while Funimation made the choice to go through and remove almost anything related to love, including kissing at some points, plus a lot of blood earlier on. (This was apparently due to a communication error of how edited it was supposed to be.) That being said, yes, I am scared as well, despite the more or less non-editing Naruto has been getting in Shonen Jump.

Of course, we need to keep in mind how ShoPro edited Zatch Bell. If they give Naruto the same treatment, it won't really be much better than if 4Kids got it.

Then we'll hear it...
space clam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

Of course, we need to keep in mind how ShoPro edited Zatch Bell. If they give Naruto the same treatment, it won't really be much better than if 4Kids got it.

Then we'll hear it...

From what I've seen, they did some really stupid edits for Zatch Bell on CN (Ep. 2, the "laser gun"), but then again, they missed several other edits. (Many blood edits missed last week, some breast-in-the-face action just this past Saturday.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention replaced music, inevitable massive rewrites, no original theme songs. And other countries will have to suffer with the version edited to "US standards" as well. If they just produced an uncut version and had William's Street make any necessary edits, there'd be less need for concern.

Interesting interview nonetheless, although it would've been nice to hear more about the disco guns. Smile
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
god that Kumi Koda chick is hot.
I thought there'd be a post like this.Smile (Not that it's bad or anything, I just had the feeling)
emory

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Not to mention replaced music, inevitable massive rewrites, no original theme songs. And other countries will have to suffer with the version edited to "US standards" as well. If they just produced an uncut version and had William's Street make any necessary edits, there'd be less need for concern.
Why can't other countries just license these shows for themselves? Like AB Distribution did for Dragon Ball/Z/GT?

And obviously Williams Street doesn't want to waste their time and resources.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Why can't other countries just license these shows for themselves? Like AB Distribution did for Dragon Ball/Z/GT?

Depending on the show, they may be able to. But in the case of Naruto, I'm pretty sure (although not certain) that Viz Media (formerly ShoPro USA / VIZ LLC) is the worldwide licensor. If Viz Media isn't, ShoPro (Japan) is.

-t
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:15 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

mohawk52 wrote:
I noticed in that Sean Atkins interview that he makes no mention about the infamous Toonami version of Tenchi Muyo, Ryo-Ohki. I will hazard a guess it was the slagging he and CN got for that, that Adult Swim was concieved and one of the main reasons they have dropped their in house editing. It had to hurt. Wink

Well I never really brought it up. It's something that happened quite a few years ago, and it's something that was brought up in the scant few other interviews that have been published with him since then.
Well only three years ago, but in anime time I guess that is a long time. Not surprising really. Laughing

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Naruto going to be on Cartoon Network, not Toonami, or Adult Swim?
emory

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Naruto going to be on Cartoon Network, not Toonami, or Adult Swim?

You say that like Toonami is another channel. Naruto will be on Toonami, but like most Toonami shows, it may end up on another portion of CN.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:24 am Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

You say that like Toonami is another channel. Naruto will be on Toonami, but like most Toonami shows, it may end up on another portion of CN.
Well here in the UK it IS another channel of it's own.Smile What I'm getting at is the placement of it. the announcement said Cartoon Network, which would be for 6-11-year-olds and hence all that editing, but if it's in the Toonami block that is for 12-14-year-olds and would be edited for such. Mr Akins discription. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2