• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Line Cinema to Adapt "Monster" Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
This is phenomenal news. I've said for years now that Monster would make a wonderful live-action TV series (this was prior to the anime being announced of course) or a solid movie. Of course, with an American company doing it, they'll likely Americanize it, but I'm still very happy for Urasawa and am looking forward to this heartily.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
so let me get this straight: they're making an american movie of Monster, yet the anime and manga still haven't even been licensed yet?
Erufu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I checked on here for the Monster manga and the last news update was last year when it said that Amazon had a volume of it listed for December release but there was no follow up report. There was also no release dates for English versions, although the French versions are already up to 17. Unbelievable. How English versions get held back so long is just terrible these days.

I'm guessing that they saw the manga through the French versions. I can't see a big studio scoping out actual Japanese editions, but I could be wrong. I'm guessing that the anime will be licensed very soon, along with the manga if it hasn't already been licensed. This is going to turn into one of those movies that people don't even realize is based on anything. I haven't read the manga or seen the anime, so I don't know how "Japanese" the series is. It might not be obvious that it's Japanese apart from some sake or something. I have been really surprised that the anime wasn't licensed as I hear that it's excellent, but a movie? Wow.

And what do you mean is this the same thing that happened to Battle Angel? TO my knowledge, that movie is actually underway as far as planning, etc goes.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
cut and paste from other thread.

don't really see how it would work there just so much going on in that sereis to cut it into a 2 or even 3 hour movie. The anime alone is scheduled for 72 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
What I want to see is a follow-up statement or PR report. I've heard of too many anime/manga that were going to converted to movies or TV shows that never happened or will take years to happen. (RE: Evangelion, Dragonball Z, Witch Hunter Robin, etc.)
konosuke15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Monster would make a great movie. It takes place over in England(mostly in Germany, Czechslovakia, other places around that general area) The only japanese in there is Dr. Tenma. I think i would like to see this movie, i enjoyed the manga greatly, the anime not so much.

Im curious as to who is going to play whom though.....
Stitch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I've been fallowing Monster for a while, I really enjoy it, but then I'm a sucker for psych-thrillers.

I seriously hope that if they make a movie, they'll stick to correct languages, there's quite a few in there, that really annoys the hell out of me when they are "copying" a language and then use a totally different language because in their ears, it's the same but for that to happen it'll be a slim chance, they'll probable use some poor cheese accent that will totally not sound like Germans or any other European accent.

I don't think they'll try and shorten the whole story in one but rather pick out a story within the story, for example, if it would lean towards slasher movies they'd could go with the parts with all the psychopaths, Thriller wise would be more the part with the inspector with the drinking problems.

Even so, I know that my favorite character will be in there, Inspector Lunge who never stops to chase the young docter.
They'll probable throw in the part with the Asian street docter as well for when he get's hurt, coz that opens up interesting possibilities.

Ohwell, we shall have to wait and see but we can be pretty sure about the story being pulled out of context, it's just way to big of a story to tell in such short time, even if it would become a 3 hour movie.
Monster is not quite up there with LOTR worldwide wise, LOTR is kinda up their with stories like Snowwhite etc. while Monster is more like Alice in Wonderland, we all know the real book but the movie will turn out to be somehting like that of Disney's version compared to the real thing, if that makes any sense, which is not that bad, but the more selective ones will like the original better no matter what.
Armagguedes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
What I find most amusing is that New Line Cinema already had a movie named Monster (the one with Charlize Theron). They'll probably have to make a name change.

Maybe they'll just call it 'Bakemono' or 'Monstre' (german, according to babelfish).

cyrax777 wrote:
cut and paste from other thread.

don't really see how it would work there just so much going on in that sereis to cut it into a 2 or even 3 hour movie. The anime alone is scheduled for 72 episodes.

Actually, it's 78 episodes, according to anidb. More details here, for those proficcient in JP: http://www.ntv.co.jp/monster/.

Anyways, regarding those concerns about Dr. Tenma being japanese and NLC not even casting for an asian main character, lets not forget that the whole series occurs in Germany. Are they even going to shoot there at least? Let's wait and see, especially for the movie's confirmation.

Still 78eps*24min=31h12m. Since when can this be remotely well compressed into a 3hour movie (and i'm being generous). Maybe a small series (13 eps) could be produced, same style of 'Band of Brothers'.

Still, i'm eargerly waiting further developments on this, because i really love the anime: it's one of those series it's worth buyin.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
New Line's alright. Most of their films suck, but they take more chances on original material than other "indie" studios.
Trident

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
It would really be awesome if they turned it into a trilogy--take the time to develop the characters and story. Movie one could be the general set-up up through the Turkish district scene, movie two could take that up to the end of the Bayern arc, and movie three could cover Prague through the end. What is more likely to happen, however, is that it will become a True American Thriller! (tm) starring Brad Pitt as Johan, Jennifer Aniston as Anna, Haley Joel Osmet as Dieter, and George Clooney as Tenma.

*shudders*

In all honesty, I think the anime should just plain be licensed, edited minorly for nudity, and shown on network television. I won't hold my breath waiting on that.
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
oh my gaw. Oh my frickin' ****.

THIS IS AWESOME.

OK, got that outta my system. Now I know that I'm going to regret it later. dangit.

Even if it completely screw up the story, i will stil go watch this film. Can't wait~! (now they need to do 20th Century Boys. Oh, and Ohba and Obata's Death Note while they're at it)
Isaaru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
well if a movie will be made..

Please let the freaky ass end credits show up in the opening credits!

That would cool.

And let Lunge be 100% true to his character. I don't want him as aome sterotypical Gerrard (Fugitve) clone.

and get the kid who plays Dewey from Malcolm in the Middle play Deiter (got a bad feeling he won't be in the movie)!!
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:07 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's absolutely necessary for Dr. Tenma to be Japanese, but he certainly should be foreign to whatever country the movie makers decide to have the film set in. This could work well if the good doctor is American (how convenient...). On this point, I can't believe they would change the location from Germany, as there is so much plot tie-in with the Third Reich, European cultural tensions and settings.

The real question is who's going to play the crazy kid. Someone attractive, talented, but capable of being creepy. Hm. Leonardo DiCaprio.
Basroil Elite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
I'm guessing that they saw the manga through the French versions. I can't see a big studio scoping out actual Japanese editions, but I could be wrong.

Knowing Hollywood these days (Ring, Grudge), they probably "discovered" the original Japanese...
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:20 pm Reply with quote
EDIT

nevermind
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3