• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: TBS Sells 3.5 Kilograms of K-ON!! Go-han ha Okazu!! Rice

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Imagine how much an Evangelion x K-ON spin-off would sell? Laughing

I'd jump on that wagon.

Anyways, i'm a die hard K-ON fan, but this is dumb. If I was on a major diet and the only thing I was able to eat is rice, then this would be a different story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma824

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Vapors wrote:
I feel a new anime category should be named after this show.

It has: moeblob.

Term was in existence before K-ON!

Also, anyone actually using that term has no idea what moe is.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Cause when I think K-On the first thing I immediately think of in association is rice. Confused Also good god is that insanely overpriced, even for a promotional tie-in. I think I'll just stick with Basmati thank you very much.

Seriously though, can anybody really argue anymore that K-On isn't being used as a tool for exploitation of a demographic? I mean I know there were Gundam Nissan cup noodles promotions a while back and there have been tons of crazy food tie-ins for many popular shows in the past, but I don't think I've ever heard a of a several thousand percent mark-up on anything.

I guess if people are willing to pay that price that's their call though.
nght5tlkr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
HTT Rice and T-shirt added to cart, check!

Now to see how much international shipping is Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
50 bucks for 8 pounds of rice?

Does with come with free crack?

I think you underestimate how expensive fancy rice is in Japan.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/平成22年産-特選-新潟産コシヒカリ-白米-10Kg/dp/B003994MHG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=food-beverage&qid=1287728280&sr=1-2

That's like, the first listing for a bag of rice on amazon.co.jp, and it's 10 KG for 3880 yen.

So this rice is only maybe 20% more than it would be without the K-on branding. Not really a scam at all.

Er dude, I think your math is a bit off. If the rice you linked is 3880 Y for 10 Kg, and the K-on rice is 3980 Y for 3.5 Kg, then the K-on rice costs around 3 times as much per Kg.

3388/10 = 338.8 Y/Kg
3980/3.5 = 1137.1 Y/Kg

(3.35 times as much, in fact)
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
At least there's a little bit of symbolism in buying it in honor of the late composer.

That's why some people would buy this....right?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
And don't forget that it's unwashed rice. By the time you wash it, too many grams of dust will be gone and you will have even less of what you already overpaid for.

無洗米 (musenmai, probably better be translated as "wash-free rice") actually means rice that does not require washing and can be cooked out of the box/bag right away. They are more expensive than unprocessed, washing-required rice, but near 4,000 Yen is still too expensive. In Taiwan the same amount of locally-harvested wash-free rice of the highest quality costs about NT$400; even if you take more expensive labor of Japan into account the unit price (of one 3.5 kg package) should not exceed 2,000 Yen (weighted with Big Mac Index).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
But by "labor" are you actually accounting for just the labor at the farms or up to all the parties involved (politicians, transport, and so on). Still pretty darn expensive even at 2k yen. How much do they charge for a portion of rice in a family restaurant in Japan? I'm guessing far from £.35 which is about what we'd pay for supermarket branded rice over here.
If meat and rice are so overpriced over there, then what's left for the populace? Natto?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2