• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What was the first anime magazine you ever bought?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I bought Animerica/America Extra off and on many years ago, but never found that one reliably enough to get it regularly.

Another member of the Animerica club here. I could find them pretty reliably via Suncoast, which was one of the easiest places to buy tapes but the cover price was a bit steep for tapes AND a magazine on meager lawn-mowing money. When I was a little older, I used to find back-issues in comic shops for a little more reasonable price. I've read a copy or two of Anime Insider years ago and I have a couple of NewTypeUSA, Protoculture Addicts and one Otaku USA around somewhere.

Though, probably the "gem" of my anime magazine collection, aside from my old Japanese magazines, are my Animag magazines. When there was barely an American industry and news from Japan still had to be translated from their print articles, Animag filled it's magazine with in-depth perspectives and episode summaries.

Granted, I agree with PetrifiedJello that anime magazines cannot compete with the Internet when it comes to news coverage or something like that but I think there are still features, that don't have to be exclusives, that magazines can run and keep themselves relevant to readers even if they're not cover to cover news feeds.
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I think that for the most part now, they'd either have to get some lengthy and exclusive interviews, or serialize some good series to catch my eye. I kind of wonder if there would really be a market for a magazine that ran things like seinen manga consistently. I'd subscribe to Shonen Jump if it weren't for the fact that most of what I've seen running in it rarely demonstrates more depth (emotional or otherwise) than the beer cap on my desk. I mean they're sometimes amusing, but I couldn't see myself coughing up every year to subscribe to a magazine whose stories can all be summed up with "boy finds out he has amazing power/ability at something no one else does naturally, trains and one ups everyone in that area, finds a stronger/better person than himself, trains and beats that person, repeat indefinitely."

Of course, seinen series sometimes find a pattern and stick to it. Lately, I feel like Gantz has become Gundam Kaiju edition. Still, my position remains, only slightly modified. Give me serialization of seinen or light novels, and same quality interviews with people on the Japanese side, and I'll subscribe just for the chance of the market expanding and something better coming along. I stress the Japanese side of things simply because "bonus" sections on DVDs here with the American crew tend to be pointless in my opinion. Occasionally, the technical crew or director here have something interesting to say, but I find commentary tracks or interviews with the dub cast beyond pointless. Half the time the cast talks about stuff totally unrelated to the scenes on screen that give no real insight into the show, and 90% of the time (okay maybe not that bad, but it's too often), they just seem like they're so bored and irritated that they have to do another of these commentaries. Also, I just feel like it's less interesting because it gets further and further away from the source of the material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2