• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - That Ken-Do Attitude

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
Zac, did Ken say how many people work on these shows? That is, withe the number of titles they translate, how many people work on each show? That's an exhaustive amount of dedication.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
I love the podcast where we get to hear more inside stuff. Not just a VA opinion and whatnot but how the world in US anime works. Very cool podcast this time around. Not that I don't like the other cast where its more about anime and the opinions about them but the inside industry stuff really appeals to me.

Also, I would like to hear more about the random writer submission too. From time to time that is. You know, funny stuff. Although I do have to apologize to Zac cause I think the ANNcast email question, or the email in general, that I sent had its own share of typos and just missing/wrong words. Typos I try to keep an eye out for but I tend not to proofread my stuff if it doesn't get marked by the spell checker or if I think my checker is being retarded until its too late. Bad habits from my school days.

Also I know it takes time and all but I think it would be great if we got links to what you guys talk about when you put up the post. Some people might not know of the series you guys talk about so directing them to the show would be nice. You do for some stuff but not everything. Kind of seems like you only do for stuff you might actually like or don't completely hate. But you could have legal reasons why you can't link to them so I can understand that too. And I'm not saying do for EVERY anime you talk about but stuff like the "Za Warudo" thing and the Sora no Otoshimono anime which took a bit to figure out what it was. You know. Some nerd love and everything. Something to help put us on the same page as you guys from time to time. Candid shots of President Zac. LOVE US!

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
Sounds like Mike Toole was trying to guilt-trip the innocent here. Laughing

Either Mike had the wrong idea or Ken's lying like a rug.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Sounds like Mike Toole was trying to guilt-trip the innocent here. Laughing
Either Mike had the wrong idea or Ken's lying like a rug.

Mike is pretty tight with a few members of the old guard. I can imagine he's probably absorbed hours of their anger and kvetching at Ken's venture.

Thing is, Ken has integrated both new technology and division of labor. Both have a pretty demonstrable effect of driving down costs and speeding production. At a certain point, doing things the old way no longer makes fiscal sense.

Sucks for the old guard, make no mistake. But if his clients are satisfied with Ken's speed and quality, and he's holding onto his employees... well, that's all that matters in the end. History is full of "survival of the fittest" moments like this.

Honestly, if Ken wasn't charging as little as he is, I would bet money that quite a number of the streaming shows currently being tested in the marketplace would not be happening. It's made a big difference from what I can tell.

Full disclosure: I'm friends with all of the above named parties.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Honestly, if Ken wasn't charging as little as he is, I would bet money that quite a number of the streaming shows currently being tested in the marketplace would not be happening. It's made a big difference from what I can tell.

Yeah, that's for sure. Sounds like Ken can afford to charge much less, if only due to sheer volume of work MX Media is getting right now. (Over 500 episodes, holy cow.)
corinthian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't catch every edition of ANNCast, but you had me at "Scott Pilgrim." That is the best series I have read in a while.
Maur

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
"I like the witty puns they come up with for episode titles." That's what I was thinking as I started this podcast, and then my heart sank. Specifically in reference to the applications segment. I know he wasn't referring to me as far as grammar and spelling are concerned (because I'm fairly attentive to those kinds of details), but I wish Zac was a little less vague about the requirements. I get that he doesn't want a cynic, and I certainly don't believe I fall under the category of "cranky old-timer" but I can't help but feel like anyone who criticizes anything is immediately cast to the wayside. I know Zac is looking for someone specific, I just wish I knew specifically what he was looking for.

From the sounds of it he seemed very disappointed with what was turned in so most likely what I sent didn't make the grade either. Sad
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
The podcast was fun as always. Thanks for being vague with the bad critic position submissions. No need to outright embarass anyone.

I tend to follow trends. I figure that if it's popular amongst people that like what I like there's got to be a reason. I can decide I don't like it after I've tried it. Razz

Name spellings: was the series "Gintama," per chance? The character nicknamed "MADAO" using a Japanese acronym whom Viz dubbed "DORK" in the manga and was subsequently reffered to as DORK in the subs? Just throws one off to hear Madao and read Dork...

But I'm glad there are so many official, legal streaming series around, even without the translated lyrics Sad and the fancy fonts (who needs 'em). Thanks for the hard work, Ken & Co.!
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac's description of Scott Pilgrim actually kind of sucks. it's not a hipster book at all, in fact it's aimed more towards the manga crowd. i think it's a fun read, and would definitely recommend getting it, and forming your own opinion.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
it's not a hipster book at all

I didn't say it was FOR hipsters. just that the characters were by and large, hipsters. 20-somethings in hoodies and ironic tee-shirts with wristwarmers who are all in bands and hang out backstage in dingy rock clubs and late night diners and shop at goodwill = hipsters, man.

The hipster label is about the attitude, the lifestyle and the fashion of the characters in the book.

Then again people are so allergic to the term 'hipster' that I think people just reject it being applied to anything they like. It's not a negative here, just a descriptor.

v1cious wrote:
i think it's a fun read, and would definitely recommend getting it, and forming your own opinion.

oh you mean like I did when I said it was funny and clever and engrossing and I loved it.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
oh, Justin, you mentioned that you're really trying to find something to enjoy with this Fall season, so have you tried Blue Literature (Aoi Bungaku)?

so far it appears to be a pretty intelligent series. but then, it is based off of classical literature. <.<

it almost seems like an anthology/TV series cross. the way it's got 6 (I think?) different books it's animating, and each book's adaptation gets a different director, writer, character designer and stuff. so it's gonna be a "tv series", but it'll have that non-sequential, entirely different works feel that anthologies carry.

the first 3 episodes are interesting to say the least, so I'd say check them out.

(if you watched Box of Goblins (Mouryou no Hako) from last Fall, it's a lot like that only a bit faster paced)
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Great show. Having spent most of my career in startups and innovative companies, the MX Media story is classic and should be inspiring to anyone. There's even a formal term, years old now, for what's blindsiding the old guard: "disruptive innovation", originated by Clay Christensen at Harvard. Of course it's all the more ironic here because they are employing methodology and technology developed in the fansub community, which is ahead of the game in serving the anime market (ethics and finance aside).

The cost factor makes sense considering the lack of capital investment and overhead in offices, equipment, etc, and the efficiency built into the process using advanced software and methods honed to produce a satisfactory product with the fewest steps, plus leveraging Internet technology. Sounds like old assembly line stuff, but really it's not easy at all to organize and manage processes that produce "soft", subjective products, particulary with remote personnel.

Yeah, I'm a business and management geek before I'm an anime geek, so just... kudos for a job well done Smile.

On Trapeze... it's certainly quirky and wacky and creative, but more interesting as an experimental oddity than entertainment, plus it seemed actually serious in its drive-by psychoanalysis. I wasn't all that impressed with the first episode and need to watch the second. And Sora no Otoshimono? Flocks of panties are epic, period. Then to find out they are migratory... Wink

And yes, the Internet will be the death of literacy!
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the wait between Scott Pilgrim volumes 5 and 6, Zac. The wait between 4 and 5 was brutal, though I jumped into the series right before volume 4. It's very hipster, and it's often hard to sypathize with any of the characters, but it's still good fun. I've always thought about it in the way that it parodies video games (boss battles, etc.).
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
wow....I can't believe my persistent usage of the made-up term "Neo-ADV" in all of the "ADV shutdown/Section 23" threads actually wore off, to the point that Ken uses the term

I mean google-search "Neo-ADV"; many people use that now, probably from reading through ANN news forum threads;

but if you think about it, it's a fitting catch-all term; instead of "well there are these 5 different companies, Section 23 is kind of in the lead but..." etc, the reality on the ground is "they're a heavily restructured and rebranded ADV"

"Neo-ADV" is sort of a reference to Gundam: how the remnants of Zeon flee to the asteroid belt, and rename themselves "Neo-Zeon"

***Though I'm actually happy that they didn't simply go the way of Central Park Media, but are *trying SOMETHING* to stay afloat.

Serious question for next podcast, which I think could sustain a few solid minutes of discussion: (I don't use Twitter) : "If FUNimation were *officially* to acquire a near-complete monopoly on the R1 anime market, comparable to how Madman controls Australia...would this be a good thing, or a bad thing?"

because years ago it was "competition between companies leads to better product for consumers"

but now in R1 its "competition between companies leads to prolonged bidding wars, dragging out the R1 release date, and in the meantime fansubbers release it online (i.e. the 2 year wait for Rebuild of Evangelion #1), to the point that its hurting the industry and thus hurting North American availability, particularly the English dub market"
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
we don't have "anime clubs" like in the 1980's, but my university still had an "anime club"; just as we had a "scifi club" even though we could all watch Dollhouse or Fringe at home, but we liked watching it communally to socialize with people who had similar interests.

Indeed, the anime club was better than the scifi club because *unlike the slimey fanboys in the scifi club, half of the anime club were women*....albeit they were very frisky about yaoi, in another reversal from the scifi club which obsessed over Hot Space Babes....but I digress...

the point is, it shifted to being a social thing, not a primary source.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3