• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New York Anime Festival 2009 - Bandai Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
megaflyman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I am starting to wonder if Bandai will ever release a Lucky Star box set.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
megaflyman wrote:
I am starting to wonder if Bandai will ever release a Lucky Star box set.

http://www.hmv.ca/hmvcaweb/en_CA/displayProductDetails.do?sku=1281856 A solicitation popped up on HMV Canada's website, but since it hasn't popped up elsewhere, I'm guessing this is based on a previous release plan. I imagine we'll probably see one in early 2010, if Bandai plans to go ahead with it. It probably depends on market demand.... a lack of market demand lead to the Zegapain and Flag boxsets getting canceled, though both of those releases were completed in full. As Lucky Star was also released in full, whether there's a boxset or not you can still get the whole show [and the boxset would likely be a multi-disc case like Bandai's usual boxsets btw]
captainbanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Still nothing on an English release of Char's Counterattack or F91 on Blu-Ray =/

Oh well.

(I don't even hold hope that Zeta will ever come out here on BR)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I can understand wanting the Gundam theatrical films on BluRay, but do the pre-HD Gundam TV series have film masters to make a BluRay release worthwhile? (Maybe they do, I really have no idea.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I understand the economy is rough, but Bandai is stalling into a corner. Only a handful of series will be left in 2010 for them to release (Gundam 00 Season 2, rest of Hayate, Kurokami). Blu-Ray re-releases will only sell to so many (and if Japan makes them screw up the pricing, that won't help). They need some new series under their belt soon, I'm not saying a license marathon, but they've been slacking off this year in the licensing department (Kannagi, Lucky Star OVA, and Eureka Seven movie, that's about it) and eventually they'll end up like ADV with nothing but re-releases in their schedule.

It's silly Japan is upset about Blu-Ray pricing just because the discs are region-free, though. I'm sure people in Japan know about region-free DVD players, since I've heard fans over there import R1 DVDs because of the lower cost compared to their DVDs. This has been going on for a while, so it's silly for Japan to suddenly step in and make demands all of a sudden.
unready

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
They are also re-releasing Ghost in the Shell: Innocence on DVD and BD, which will include a new US dub ...

So I'm the only one so far to register this one? OK, well, here it is.

Why??? Does somebody actually think the existing English dub track is the weak point? (I don't mean that as a rhetorical question, but it apparently must be.) Unless Conan and Andy are going to pull a "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" on the script, I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch a new dub any more than the old one.
RedTail

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Quote:
They are also re-releasing Ghost in the Shell: Innocence on DVD and BD, which will include a new US dub ...

So I'm the only one so far to register this one? OK, well, here it is.

Why??? Does somebody actually think the existing English dub track is the weak point? (I don't mean that as a rhetorical question, but it apparently must be.) Unless Conan and Andy are going to pull a "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" on the script, I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch a new dub any more than the old one.

Ya gotta question whether that's really accurate or not. Maybe what was actually meant is that it will include "THE" new dub rather than "A" new dub.

Anyway, this might be worth picking up if Bandai uses the 2nd Japanese master for the film and corrects the pitch issues with the UK dub track.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:45 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Yeah, I was already pretty much aware why Japanese licensors are hesitant to let North American licensees put anime TV series on BluRay, considering that Americans aren't likely to jump at paying $75+ for a 2-episode disk like in Japan.

I'm disappointed that Bandai announced neither K-On! nor Haruhi Suzumiya season 2, both of which I would buy on BluRay if given the non-import option.

I'm about 98% positive that K-On! is already licensed, but not by Bandai. Though i do expect it be announced soon, or just have a surprise solicitation that has been the style of Media Blasters and Sentai. And I'm expecting a sub-only release for it, but it's not certain at this point.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:41 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Part of the issue lies in the fact that some of the Japanese licensors are not happy about the lower MSRP of BDs in North America, as all countries share the same region code.

What's more important? More people buying your BDs, or the format going the way of HD-DVD? Rolling Eyes Seriously, though, the fact that you have to lower the price this early in the game and people are still not buying into it just proves that it's a pointless upgrade. And depending on otaku-only sales is part of why the market in Japan is dying; so it makes more sense to me to invest in better products, not just desperate cash-ins.

First, BD sales in general are increasing rapidly in the US just in the past year
Quote:
Overall, BD sales revenue was $25.49 million, up 273.38% from the same week last year. DVD sales revenue was $179.20 million, up 16.68% year-on-year.

especially now that BD prices are at the same level DVDs used to be a couple years ago, which is to say, affordable.

Secondly the fact that some JP licensors aren't happy reflects a denial of a self-made problem at home. I guess they won't realize it until they milk their customers out of existence if the recession continues. Or some of the fanbase will wise up, have patience (sometimes lots of it) and reverse import.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Wait. What? Didn't they already do this earlier this year? Is re-release just a PR speak way of saying they intend to produce more copies of the same version or do they actually intend to release a somehow different version? Either way, what's the point? The one from January is still in stock at most places.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Seriously, though, the fact that you have to lower the price this early in the game and people are still not buying into it just proves that it's a pointless upgrade.

They're not saying they've lowered the price at all. They're referring to the fact that the MSRP for Blu-Ray (same as it is for DVD) is significantly lower outside Japan than what the Japanese market would price them at - they're once again trembling at the cheaper US Region A discs undermining their domestic market even more easily than DVDs due to the two countries sharing the same Blu-Ray region. For instance, one likely series to be on Bandai's radar is Code Geass. In Japan, MSRP on one three-episode volume of this series is Y7000 (on current cross rates, US$78, A$90). There is no way on Earth consumers in any major anime market country (such as US, Australia, UK) would pay these prices. They'll be flat out selling three-episode discs at US$40. I'll be curious to see what price points they come up with and the episode per disc count they choose.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
Yeah, I was already pretty much aware why Japanese licensors are hesitant to let North American licensees put anime TV series on BluRay, considering that Americans aren't likely to jump at paying $75+ for a 2-episode disk like in Japan.

I'm disappointed that Bandai announced neither K-On! nor Haruhi Suzumiya season 2, both of which I would buy on BluRay if given the non-import option.

I'm about 98% positive that K-On! is already licensed, but not by Bandai. Though i do expect it be announced soon, or just have a surprise solicitation that has been the style of Media Blasters and Sentai. And I'm expecting a sub-only release for it, but it's not certain at this point.

K-on! hasn't been picked up for a English release yet, both the anime and manga are still up in the air for English c.o's to pick up

* About my comment about the Lucky Star OVA, I know it was released sub only but I rather see it dubbed. I really don't want to buy sub only stuff right now as I could spend the same about of money on a different anime with a dub from a different c.o
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
roesnail wrote:
Paploo wrote:
ninjapet wrote:
oh well I guess the hopes of season 2 of Haruhi being picked up are going to have to be put on hold for a bit.

Still no news on if there dubbing the Lucky Star OVA? I mean I'm still a little mad about Hayate not getting a dub (I hope funimation gets season's 2 rights at this point as I refuse to buy it as sub only)

Hasn't it already been released? It was solicited as subonly, so I doubt the dvd has a dub. I think we're pretty lucky to be getting the OVA as it is.... with the current market, getting anything is pretty good, and it seems sales/releases are more in line with the
VHS-era of anime fandom, meaning more subtitled-only releases.

I'm guessing we'll only see a dub from Bandai when a theatrical release of a television broadcast has been worked out.

Also, am I reading things right? Did Bandai announce they have the Gurren Lagann movie at NYAF?

yeah since when was the gurren movie licensed? first i heard of this.

Wasn't the movie shown sub-only a few months ago at Otakon or Anime Expo? I knew Bandai had the license to it, but will they ever get Bang-Zoom to dub it? And will it ever end up on Syfy? These questions we may never know the answer to...
_V_

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
*Section 23*, ADV's successor organization, has a better fall release schedule than Bandai

It's not "soon Bandai will be doing only rereleases"...they're not re-releasing ANYTHING, just a few new Gundam 00's and Code Geass R2

Bandai is circling the drain
captainbanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I can understand wanting the Gundam theatrical films on BluRay, but do the pre-HD Gundam TV series have film masters to make a BluRay release worthwhile? (Maybe they do, I really have no idea.)

Oh absolutely. The early Gundams were animated completely on film (with cell animation). As such, there is a lot more visual fidelity in a show like Zeta Gundam than you would think. It isn't on the level of Char's Counter Attack (I imported the BR version from Japan and it is stunning) but it completely puts the DVD releases to shame (a friend of mine imported it at the insane Japanese price. It's useless to me without the subs, but it looks great considering how old it is).

The problem with an old show like Zeta is that it wasn't done in 16:9 (TV's were all 4:3 back then, so it would have been pointless). As such, the BR version only really fills a 4:3 square in the center of the 1920x1080 frame. Well, I say "problem", but really I mean "one more barrier to entry for a mainstream audience". Zeta never aired here, so it doesn't have a huge following, but I could still see fans of Wing/G Gundam/etc buying the BR set and then complaining when the video didn't even fill the entire screen.

I give Bandai a hard time over CCA and F91 not making it to America on Blu-Ray, but really they are just two titles out of many that I'm desperate for. Cowboy Bebop the movie, Perfect Blue, Princess Mononoke, Castle of Cagliostro, the list goes on. People willing to buy old anime movies are a niche market, and a niche market that has a high BR adoption rate at that. If there isn't money to be made gouging us on a limited run of an old anime movie on BR, I don't know where there is still money to be made in the US market (outside of shonen shows)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3