• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Re-release-a-palooza

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
You get 1000 cool points for having Yawara. Maybe even 2000.

I completely second this. =D
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
Interesting that the CLAMP fans always pick the illustrations to prove their point... Anime shows movement, manga suggests movement. If the artwork can't do this properly, then the style isn't very suitable for manga and anime.

Last edited by Tamaria on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
GordanHam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
I really should pick up Grave of the Fireflies. The last time I saw it was on VHS.

commence plugging:
No, I'd rather not!

[Mod Edit: As stated by the rules, no one-liners that don't add to the discussion are allowed. Just saying, "Oh hey, I should watch that movie" doesn't add anything to the discussion. Of course, I know why you're doing it anyways; to put in an excuse to plug your blog, but that isn't going to fly either.

For one thing, the blog is OT for this thread, so there's no reason for it to be included in this discussion. For another thing, this isn't an ad board, it's a discussion board. If you want to plug your blog then that's what the URL link in your profile is for, but that's as far as it goes. If at some point a blog post of yours is relevant to a discussion then a link to that post specifically might be allowed. However, even in that case it doesn't qualify as a substitute for a post on the boards, and you'd still have to provide a legitimate and meaningful post. - Keonyn]
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
XXXHOLiC is a supernatural show in the same vein as Mushi-Shi, except less interesting

How is it even possible for something to be less interesting than Mushi-Shi? The only way I can come up with is if someone gets greater enjoyment from gawking at the scenery than following an overarching plot (of any kind.)
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
When Central Park Media met its demise, I saved up all money I could to purchase all their good titles from whatever source I could find. I paid almost $100 for Now and Then, Here and There, but I felt it was worth it. Even when ADV rereleased it for a cheaper price as a more compact set, I preferred the CPM release since it contained all the gorgeous artwork. In the case of Grave of the Fireflies, it has no features aside from 'alternate angle storyboards'. I was still proud to have it in my library, but now thanks to Bamboo, I am aware of the special features contained within the ADV release of this great movie. Guess I'll just have to spend a little bit more money, because if the special edition of anything anime exists (with the exception of Akira) I feel the sudden impulse to collect.

Actually, those features are all on the bonus disc of CPM's 2-disc Collector's Series release of Grave of the Fireflies. ADV just seems to have copied them wholesale over to their version.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing another review of xxxHolic where the reviewer said that the artwork looked much better as still shots than actual animation and I agree. Once you get into the flow of TRC and Holic the artwork looks nice, but seeing it animated always really threw me off.
skaly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I love the xxxHolic manga, but yeah... the first season is really bad in terms of artwork and pacing. The OAV was a vast improvement in pretty much every respect, including character development.

I kind of feel like Tsubasa and xxxHolic are shows that need to be remade from the beginning, given all the revelations in the two manga that the producers were apparently not aware of.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
I personally can't stand the The Wallflower. I'm a male and I don't mind bishounen (hell, I own more shoujo manga than shounen), but the guys in this anime are just putridly ugly. And it doesn't help that the heroine is in chibi-mode ALL THE TIME. Plus, the jokes are severely overused. How many times did they need to run that "Path to Becoming a Lady" bit before it becomes redundant along with the occult jokes? Apparently someone thought these things were funny, which means that on 24 separate occasions, someone said, "Hey, should we do occult jokes and the 'Path to Becoming a Lady' bit again?" And 24 different times, someone said, "Yes, let's."

I have to agree. I didn't think the guys were ugly, as much as creepy and overly effeminate. I also got tired of the girl being "chibby" all the time. Once or twice an episode would be fine, but not the majority of every episode.

But the comedy in the show was more hit than miss, and ADV gave it a good dub. So it's a wash for me. I already have the first three singles, and will probably grab the second box at some point.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I really don't like CLAMP's designs period. They're really unappealing. Gangly limbs, sometimes long necks, fingers as long as #2 pencils, ugh. The only things they seem to draw lovely are eyes and hair. Code Geass didn't escape their misshapen anatomy issues either. I'm pretty sure Lelouch's design must have caused some people to turn up their noses.

Grave of the Fireflies, saw that back in university as part of my Japanese Cultural Studies course. An excellent movie I have to say, there's simply no way you could think of putting it down (though I'm sure some hater has out there). On an off note, I am reminded of how predictable my classmates were about leaving it in the original Japanese audio. I thought to myself, "Wow you guys really perpetuate the stereotype of Japanophile too much. We're not even learning actual Japanese in this class.".

Btw, I still want to buy Yawara Sad
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I-I-I-I really enjoy UFO Princess Warukyre (I have the DVDs, I just use this title). I recently finished off the first season and first OAV, and I really dug it. The second season is on my radar for sure (it's on discount at rightstuf). I want to see the other princesses, and want to know how Kazuto and Warukyre's relationship will progress. I'm a little sad to hear that apparently there's no real ending in season 3 & 4 though.

I also can't stand the Wallflower manga (it makes me want to put a nail gun to my hand so I can stop turning the pages). My local library has it, and I don't even want it for free.

And Exclamation I'm a straight female.

So I think that, perhaps, my taste level may be a bit off for my gender group. JUST A LITTLE BIT. Because I love "old-school" (That's anything other than Tsubasa and xxxholic) CLAMP, so there, that's "normal" Rolling Eyes.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Good to know Wallflower is DVD worthy, I picked up the first 4 volumes this weekend at a use store for $9 (for the three of them) and got a chance to read the first two before heading back to the dorm and I liked it a lot, so I've added this series to my Xmas list (I start making that list early, like right after the Xmas in July that is Otakon).
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
UFO Ultramaiden... My brother owns the first two seasons, both him and one of his friends is a big fan. I managed to watch the entire first season, and it was...

I mainly kept watching it so I could count how often they used repeat animation. They would use the same shot of the bath 2-3 times per episode, not to mention constant re-use of multiple transformation scenes several times throughout the episode for every single episode.

It's just insane. I mean, I've seen repeat animation before. It's easy for me to spot, and it typically doesn't bother me. But this show is just... Wow.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
sailorneorune wrote:
Some of those cool points should be revoked for having a bootleg Tenchi Muyo OVA boxset.

See if you can find what I'm talking about in this week's edition of...
Exclamation SPOT! THE! BOOTLEG! Exclamation
*insert audience cheering and applause here*

is this supposed to be funny? Confused
Oldman1124

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Why does everyone like Grave of the Fireflies so much? The kid doesn't do anything the entire movie to help his situation or his sister's. At the end I couldn't even feel sorry for his sister because she stayed with the idiot the entire time.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Quote:
CLAMP is known for their wonderful artwork

...since when?

They've always has decent Artwork.they wouldn't be the way they are if it wasn't.

Dont believe me, then Check out X:1999 and CCS. The're preety decent.Same with Tsubassa too. and although i didn't like it's ending,the artwork for code geass was preety good and beleived the reason why the series was popular in the first place. if they decide to make an OVA based on the "Nighmare of Nunally" graphic Novels they have to use the same art concepts for it to succeed.

Bara_Megami wrote:
I-I-I-I really enjoy UFO Princess Warukyre (I have the DVDs, I just use this title). I recently finished off the first season and first OAV, and I really dug it. The second season is on my radar for sure (it's on discount at rightstuf). I want to see the other princesses, and want to know how Kazuto and Warukyre's relationship will progress. I'm a little sad to hear that apparently there's no real ending in season 3 & 4 though.

I agree as well. UFO is a preety good series for fanservice junkies like myself.I never take rewiews for "over the top ecchi fanservice series" & "harem series" seriously cause unless it's from Love Hina's creator,it almost always get very bad reviews. Other over the top fanservice like Girls Bravo got really bad reviews and this one got awful reviews which i believed it's for probably for
"young Varukyre's transformation" but I took a risk on both of them and I loved both series. However i find the ending for season 3 & 4 had a half/half complete ending but girls bravo ending was definately deserving a 3rd season for more character development and further developing the relationship of the main couple.

I really recomend UFO for at least in the rental shelf for people who likes mindless over the top fanservicee despite the review.

Hopefully ,other over the top fanservice series like kodomo no jikan,Queens Blade,Kanokon, & Ah My Buddha Katsu!!! wont face the same fate. Only time will tell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3