• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
American Manga: Does it count?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Allow me to provide some different opinions: there are more and more Taiwanese shōjo manga artists whose story and art on par with or even better than their Japanese counterparts serialized in Ciao or Ribon. Their stories are very original, usually with some jokes that only local readers would understand. And the sales numbers have shown their successes.
Not to mention that CJK languages share the same characters for "comics."

I like this point (especially since this thread appears to be turning into a credentials war), and I agree with Dormcat about the Taiwanese manhua. Or manga. Or comics. Or bandes-dessines. The country of origin shouldn't matter if the story and art are engaging. Granted, I tend not to enjoy American works that draw in a deliberately mangafied style (Mark Crilley's Miki Falls being the notable exception), but when you come down to it, they are all examples of what is technically and academically known as sequential art. Yes, each country has its own stylistics - I personally find Chinese and Taiwanese comics to be a little stiffer in terms of people's movement, though that could simply be my take on it and certainly doesn't stop I-Huan from being one of my favorite authors - but ultimately the measure of merit is how much you enjoy it.

What you call it is semantics.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Like I've said, I think Princess Ai can be considered American manga,
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I personally find Chinese and Taiwanese comics to be a little stiffer in terms of people's movement, though that could simply be my take on it and certainly doesn't stop I-Huan from being one of my favorite authors - but ultimately the measure of merit is how much you enjoy it.

Personally, I feel SPP is much better in editing and developing local shōjo manga than Tong Li (which I-Huan belongs). Selena Lin, Cory, and Lin Min Xuan (unlike the other two, she seems not having an official romanized name yet) all have excellent AND popular works.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Elf474

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I think that as long as they are well written and well drawn, then where they were made shouldn't matter.

I mean if a anime/manga is drawn, written etc, the exact same way, but done in Canada or Japan or Brazil, then what's the difference?
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Elf474 wrote:
I think that as long as they are well written and well drawn, then where they were made shouldn't matter.

I mean if a anime/manga is drawn, written etc, the exact same way, but done in Canada or Japan or Brazil, then what's the difference?

Quality is irrelevant to its country of origin, yes. But using inappropriate, ill-defined terminology is misleading and reductive.

Moomintroll gave the best explanation a ways back:

Moomintroll wrote:
Do you call American or Russian or French tanks "panzers"? No, of course you don't. Why? Because we already have the word "tank". Hence, if we use the word "panzer" it's because we want to draw attention to the fact that it is a specifically German tank.

The fact that the word "panzer" could be applied to tanks from any nation and not technically be wrong is immaterial.

Same goes for "manga". Yes, it just means "comic" in Japanese - but why on Earth would you use a Japanese word in place of the perfectly good English one we already have if not to draw attention to its nation of origin?

Moreover, since the vast majority of English-speaking people would associate "panzer" with German tanks and "manga" with Japanese comics (regardless of how universal the terms are when used by Germans or Japanese people respectively), why would you want to confuse things by applying the words differently?

They're all comics. It's just that "manga," as a loan word in English, is shorthand for "Japanese comics." Why anyone would disagree with this is beyond me.

As for your other post:

Elf474 wrote:
Depends onw hich series you're refering too. There are a lot of them.

I literally mean familiarity with most Japanese comics, because that also implies a knowledge of demographics and the range of styles.

Quote:
1. The cliches. (You know some of these at least right?)

Uh, I've listed some on the previous page. If you're referring to visual cues (sweat drops, anger symbol, et cetera) that serve as short hand, plenty of manga don't have that. And even more aren't decompressed and have a high compositional and/or dialogue density.

Quote:
And then there's stuff like Witchblade or Star Wars or Star Trek. All of which have been made into manga.

[...]

Another good example would be Kingdom Hearts. Sora and his friends are clearly anime. While Donald, Goofy, and Mickey (and all the other Disney character) aren't.

This is circular logic.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Allow me to provide some different opinions: there are more and more Taiwanese shōjo manga artists whose story and art on par with or even better than their Japanese counterparts serialized in Ciao or Ribon. Their stories are very original, usually with some jokes that only local readers would understand. And the sales numbers have shown their successes.

This is important. It's the difference between Japanese and Taiwanese comics. They may look the same at first, but there are cultural differences in the way characters live, talk, think.

Even if an American imitates a style commonly associated with another country, his own culture will still influence his work. And that's the way it should be, if you ask me. A comic that is nothing but a copied artstyle and some second hand knowledge of an idealized culture, can never be a good comic.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Personally, I feel SPP is much better in editing and developing local shōjo manga than Tong Li (which I-Huan belongs). Selena Lin, Cory, and Lin Min Xuan (unlike the other two, she seems not having an official romanized name yet) all have excellent AND popular works.

I haven't read any of their works - I'll check them out! Thanks for the suggestions!
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
In the 60's Italian directors tried to revive the Western genre, which had dried up in America by then. So they hired an actor from the TV series Gunsmoke and filmed a Wester, trying to pass it off as an American-made film. The Italian directors changed their names in the titles to be more American-sounding. This movie was "A Fistful of Dollars", of course.
What happened of course, was not a revival of the western genre but the begininning of a new genre: the "Spaghetti Western"
Actually, this movie took the plot of the Japanese movie, "Yojinbo".
What I'm trying to say is that nothing is ever truly original. The same cultural borrowing happened with the Seven Samurai, which became the Magnificent Seven. But did you know that The Magnificent Seven was then 'reversioned' by a Japanese company, who filmed it in Japan, with Japanese actors, and called it a Western? Not to mention the anime version....

Of course, manga is a medium, not a genre. I guess what i mean is that I dont care where something comes from as long as i's good.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
The thing is though, a Western is a genre classified based on it's fictional setting, not what country it comes from in reality. Though the genre may have originated in the west, that's not what the genre name implies. Logically an Italian can certainly still make a Western because that only means they are making a movie that is set in the North American West. If 'manga' denoted a specific style or genre then it would be comparable. As it is though, calling an American comic manga is like if those Spaghetti Western directors called their movies Hollywood films. It's just silly. They could say that their movie is a lot like a Hollywood movie or heavily Hollywood influenced. They can make a Hollywood-like movie that's even better than actual Hollywood movies. Regardless though, saying it actually is one is incorrect.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:22 am Reply with quote
True.. I guess I just call the stuff Tokyopop and Seven Seas publish as 'manga' because out of laziness.. I suppose the real term would be 'manga inspired-comic' or just 'comic'...
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:36 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
The thing is though, a Western is a genre classified based on it's fictional setting, not what country it comes from in reality. Though the genre may have originated in the west, that's not what the genre name implies. Logically an Italian can certainly still make a Western because that only means they are making a movie that is set in the North American West. If 'manga' denoted a specific style or genre then it would be comparable. As it is though, calling an American comic manga is like if those Spaghetti Western directors called their movies Hollywood films. It's just silly. They could say that their movie is a lot like a Hollywood movie or heavily Hollywood influenced. They can make a Hollywood-like movie that's even better than actual Hollywood movies. Regardless though, saying it actually is one is incorrect.

Well said. That's a neat summary of my take on the matter.

Wooga wrote:
True.. I guess I just call the stuff Tokyopop and Seven Seas publish as 'manga' because out of laziness.. I suppose the real term would be 'manga inspired-comic' or just 'comic'...

It's all comics, whether it originates in Japan or not, in the same way that a film is a film regardless of whether we label it "Hollywood" or "Bollywood". We just use manga as shorthand for "comic from Japan" the same way we use Bollywood as shorthand for "film from India".
Elf474

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
The words anime and manga came about because in Japanese all words end in either a vowel or an N
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Elf474 wrote:
The words anime and manga came about because in Japanese all words end in either a vowel or an N

Uh what? Animation, the word anime is derived from does end in n.

Regardless, I fail to see your point or how it relates to what qualifies as manga.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
No. I'm not saying that all OEL is bad, or that I don't support it. I just don't believe that it's real "manga" if it's not made in Japan. Sure, they can make comics manga-style, but to me they are still just comics.

It's like Avatar: The Last Airbender. Nobody considers it to be real Anime because it's American, though it could be passed off as Anime to anyone not familiar with the market.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I have to apologize. For some reason I misread the topic "Does it count?" as it "important/worth anything?" Not "does it count as manga?"
I just..reacted. Because to me most people do think it's crap.
So, does it count as manga? No.
Are there some good B&W long-format American comics...yes. If you look very carefully.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5