• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Evangelion: 1.0.1 You Are [Not] Alone (dub)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
I ran Evangelion panels at Anime Boston this year;

what was frightening was that at another, general anime panel of the "classics", the audience was asked to raise their hands if they had actually seen Evangelion at all: less than half had even seen Evangelion

Even at my Eva-dedicated panel, I asked a show of hands for who had seen the director's cut episodes (you can't understand the series without these new scenes) -- HALF of the people at my 150 person panel at seen them, and these were all Eva fans; many hadn't even seen End of Eva.

The overwhelming problem with this review, is you ignored the central problem that Evangelion is 13 years old, and alot of people haven't seen it; the entire point of Rebuild 1 was to "ease fans back into" the series, half as an intro to new fans, half as a refresher for old fans......but gradually they DO start changing the story by the last third of the movie.

It was just an introduction but a NECESSARY one; changing a bunch of stuff immediately would have scared fans off; thus, they could change stuff by Rebuild 2

(and dear god, oh dear god does Rebuild 2 change things)

Long story short: "Evangelion fandom" is not limited to people who watched it off VHS bootlegs or DVD, before 2004. This series was out a long time ago, and was a fairly complex series, and an effort was made to get new fans involved.

I mean even in your review you say "newcomers (however unlikely they may be".....no, the whole point is that there will be a wave of newcomers.

You guys already reviewed Rebuild 1 some time ago; the sole purpose of this review was to review the ENGLISH DUB Cast's ability compared to the source material, not to review the source material.
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
I'm trying to find Rebuild 2 but I've watched Rebuild 1. Shinji is 15% less emo in this.
elreicht

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
Being a fan of NGEVA for the longest time, I was still shocked to find myself still getting surprised and awestruck while seeing scenes that I still remember from the past(after watching the series and movies over and over). So I'll say that You are (not) alone handled the alternate retelling of the story pretty well. I understand that newcomers will become confused about what exactly is going on, but weren't we all when we first started watching the series? What I love about this story is that it makes you think after watching an episode and eventually leads you into doing research about material that might be related to it. At least that is one thing that appeals to me. But one question though, addressed only to fans of the series, isn't Shinji-kun more likable this time around?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
kefkaownsall wrote:
I'm trying to find Rebuild 2 but I've watched Rebuild 1. Shinji is 15% less emo in this.

Here comes the usual internet tough guy response to Shinji Ikari.

Shinji was never "emo". Fragile, maybe, but he's not wearing black, sitting around listening to Linkin Park as he cuts his wrists reciting dark poetry.

I think most people, given his situation, wouldn't be nearly as brave as he is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
kefkaownsall wrote:

Shinji was never "emo". Fragile, maybe, but he's not wearing black, sitting around listening to Linkin Park as he cuts his wrists reciting dark poetry.

I agree. People seem to forget to realize that he's been abandoned nearly all his life, the world is shambles, and he's being asked to fight in this monstrosity. And that he's 14 years old. As for Shinji, it's not being emotional, it's more about having mental problems.

The other aspect that I think people never realize either, is that you're probably not supposed to like Shinji. You're supposed to see him as a fragile and annoying kid and not really sympathize with him that much. He was never meant to be a balls to the wall hot blooded Kabuto Kamina Domon Kouji.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
nagato316

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
kefkaownsall wrote:

Very good point...admittedly one we all too easily forget amidst Shinji's angst and screaming. So I certainly appreciate the reminder.

After all, what's Shinji's mantra? "I mustn't run away, I mustn't run away..." (Sure he tries to, but he _does_ come back.)
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
ANN *already* reviewed "Rebuild of Eva 1.0" a FULL YEAR AGO:

animenewsnetwork.com/review/evangelion-1.0-you-are-not-alone

I read this review hoping that it would discuss the new English dub; instead you simply dumped on the film for being a remake...when even the ORIGINAL ANN review, while not happy that it was just an introduction, *recognized* it was an introduction.

Your review was simply a lazy rehash of the original ANN review; you BARELY TALKED about the English dub, which is surprising given that the title of the review is "Eva 1.0 English dub review": you devoted a SINGLE PARAGRAPH to the dub:

Quote:
The final layer of remake comes in the form of the English dub, which is a noticeable improvement on the original recording of the TV series. Longtime fans might complain about new actors stepping into some of the roles, but to focus on that is to miss the forest for the trees—the script in general flows much more naturally than in the original dub. Gone are the forced attempts to be funny (besides, Gainax's own outbursts of fanservice and incongruity do the job just fine), and the various voices fill the entire range from Misato's loud extroversion to Rei's deadpan delivery.

Okay so basically the only thing about the dub, which many of us are ANXIOUS to hear, was "wow some actors left and some new ones came in, but I think the new ones are alright"

CARE TO BE A BIT MORE SPECIFIC?! Character by character review?

I clicked on this expecting you to be discussing the dub, not rehashing a review someone else wrote on ANN a year ago.
irishninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
elreicht wrote:
But one question though, addressed only to fans of the series, isn't Shinji-kun more likable this time around?

Yes.

I never disliked Shinji, for all the reasons penguintruth, walw6pK4Alo, and nagato316 mentioned, but I thought in this movie he went from being not-dislikable to actually likable.

If that makes sense. Very Happy
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
it's done just differently from the series to feel (at least a little) fresh, the final battle with Ramiel (?) is done in an epic/cinematic fashion that the entire series never even came close to attaining

I don't care for the final battle against Ramiel in 1.0, it was the generic "shounen hero learns to believe in himself and save the world". The TV battle was more about "I don't want to die".
yellow ledbetter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't seem to be a review about the dub so much as it is a review of the Evangelion movie by somebody who didn't seem to like Evangelion to begin with. Maybe I'm crazy but that's the impression I got. Pretty disappointing.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
@Yellow Ledbetter: Don't worry, you weren't the only on who got that impression.
Seeing as the movie itself has already been reviewed and reviewed and reviewed some more, I was hoping this here would focus a little more on the dub, which is actually NEW. Instead it only devotes maybe two sentences to the matter. It doesn't even mention any of the VAs by name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bissrok

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I saw this one and, yeah, I thought it was too close to the original. Sounds like the next parts change a lot more, but I think I'll wait until they're all out before I dive back in.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
I read this review hoping that it would discuss the new English dub; instead you simply dumped on the film for being a remake...when even the ORIGINAL ANN review, while not happy that it was just an introduction, *recognized* it was an introduction.

Deep breaths, calm down, you've said this twice now! We get it, you think that this should have been about the dub only, when it was actually the dubbed version, i.e. the theater release, which includes the video content. You may have been under the wrong impression when you read the article title, but clearly this is a review of the whole movie, not just of the dub. we get your point, but you're wrong; this is for the dubbed version of the movie, not just the dialog track.

ANN has done double-reviews for shows before; they did the theater-release and then the Blu-Ray of Sky Crawlers. There, they really did just use the same review over, with a few extra notes. Here, you've had two reviews by two different reviewers, and lo-and-behold, they both say the same basic thing: this is a rehash of the early episodes of Evangelion with only a few changes, and hopefully part 2 will be more exciting.

yellow ledbetter wrote:
This doesn't seem to be a review about the dub so much as it is a review of the Evangelion movie by somebody who didn't seem to like Evangelion to begin with. Maybe I'm crazy but that's the impression I got. Pretty disappointing.

If by "didn't seem to like Evangelion to begin with," you mean a not rabid fan who considers it perfect without flaws, then yeah, that's who it was written by. But if you think the first couldn't be improved on, why would you watch the remake?
yellow ledbetter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I should point out the exact moment this review fell apart for me.

"Those who hated the original Evangelion for its highly dysfunctional characters still won't find anything to like in this version."

Maybe if he inserted a (like me) after Evangelion in that sentence I would find the rest of the review more believable.
elreicht

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I guess it would've been a great review if it focused on the movie's own merits instead of comparing it to the series. Isn't that a kind of prejudice when we say that this is just a rehash of the series? It is a movie and it should be reviewed and criticized according to what it contains instead of comparing it the series that went before it. I'm sorry if I'm being redundant. I mean that particular aspect has already been discussed on the first review, why discuss the same thing on the second one?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5