• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nana, Honey & Clover Anime Sold on iTunes in N. America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:
They used 'Starless Night' instead of a little pain, so I wouldn't look too much into it, since they're both OLIVIA songs. Seeing as how she wants to break into a North American market, I don't see holding back the song as a good way to do that.

Yeah, but "A Little Pain" has to be one of the best songs I've ever heard in an anime series! It would be a serious loss. It makes me wonder if the situation would be any different if streaming had been big back when the show debuted and it was actually put online by the Japanese broadcaster as it aired.

To anyone who watched H+C - were there any music issues there?

[)

no all the music was kept.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
who_is_friend wrote:
They used 'Starless Night' instead of a little pain, so I wouldn't look too much into it, since they're both OLIVIA songs. Seeing as how she wants to break into a North American market, I don't see holding back the song as a good way to do that.

Yeah, but "A Little Pain" has to be one of the best songs I've ever heard in an anime series! It would be a serious loss. It makes me wonder if the situation would be any different if streaming had been big back when the show debuted and it was actually put online by the Japanese broadcaster as it aired.

[)

HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

Well, that's one personal crisis averted. Less worried about Honey and Clover, now.

For Nana, I recall reading that releases in other countries also didn't have that specific theme, so it may not be just a specific issue tied to Viz/North America.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I know Viz doesn't like to translate onscreen text, and I'm a bit worried since in NANA they use a lot of text messaging. Does anyone know if they translated the onscreen text?
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
What's with the Parental Advisory sticker on the box? Since when did anime dvds (or any dvds for that matter...) start doing that? Is there really anything in Nana to warrant a warning on the front of the box? Does NWA perform the OP? It's one I've been wanting to see for a while now and I've managed to hold off watching it online all this time so I haven't actually gotten to see any of it. (Of course, a little warning sticker would hardly discourage me from seeing it Very Happy )
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Bluebeard wrote:
What's with the Parental Advisory sticker on the box? Since when did anime dvds (or any dvds for that matter...) start doing that? Is there really anything in Nana to warrant a warning on the front of the box? Does NWA perform the OP? It's one I've been wanting to see for a while now and I've managed to hold off watching it online all this time so I haven't actually gotten to see any of it. (Of course, a little warning sticker would hardly discourage me from seeing it Very Happy )

NANA manga has an M rating, I think, on some of the volumes because they have sexual situations. I don't remember how explicit the anime gets, but it probably at least suggests it.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I know Viz doesn't like to translate onscreen text, and I'm a bit worried since in NANA they use a lot of text messaging. Does anyone know if they translated the onscreen text?

for honey and clover the signs to like class rooms was translated on screen so I wouldn't worry
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
madscripter wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I love Nana but I hate iTunes. I don't understand why I have to download some 80mb program just to download MP3s... especially when Amazon does them DRM free and all I need is a web browser. Hopefully Nana comes to Amazon's On Demmand service, which also doesn't require a massive 80mb resource hog just to browse a storefront.

But anyways... I love Nana but won't be buying this. They would have had me like 3 years ago when I saw it and badly wanted to buy something to show them my support. It didn't seem like the anime would be coming out anytime soon so I started buying all the manga volumes. I'm not about to double up now.

completely of topic but when did 80MB be considered a resource hog? In today's computers of 4GB RAM and TB drives?

I love iTunes but I try to avoid buying videos there. I still like DVDs for all the reasons the posted here. At least anime. But all iTunes music now is DRM free so I don't mind buying music there except classical and Jazz.

That's exactly what I was wondering. If you can't spare 80MB, then you really, really need a bigger hard drive, especially if you were going to consider downloading video from ANYWHERE. Plus, iTunes is more than a store front, it also allows a person to manage their iPod/iPhone, as well as upload CD's (and even DVD video with the right software.) It seems to me that would be a little cumbersome doing that over a network connection.

Anyway, I really don't have much interest in Nana, but since it's free, I might give it a go. Though I really need to get a bigger hard drive myself. Between iTunes downloads, games, and digital backups of some of my DVD's, my Mac is getting pretty full.
EmOtakuVu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode of H&C on iTunes, it's not bad, the voice actors seemed to do a pretty good job of putting some effort into their performances. Gotta say I don't quite like some of the voice's they cast, but I think that has more to do with how perfect the original seiyu were. Still, it will be nice to just be able to get my hands on some quality DVDs of the series in awhile.

Really sad to hear A little Pain didn't make it into NANA, that was my favorite song of the whole series.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
This is pissing me off. Why do they keep putting it off and putting it on stupid places? This whole digital distribution schtik is making me lose faith in DVDs.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
This is pissing me off. Why do they keep putting it off and putting it on stupid places? This whole digital distribution schtik is making me lose faith in DVDs.

it's just a way to get the series more accesable to more people it's still coming out on dvd in september calm down.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:

Exactly ... why the F do they need to put it places where not everyone can get it? Itunes f-ing sucks and I hate it. Just stream it somewhere or put it online to download. UGH.

Will somebody put this crap on youtube or anywhere? I mean, it's free anyway. Evil or Very Mad
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:

Exactly ... why the F do they need to put it places where not everyone can get it? Itunes f-ing sucks and I hate it. Just stream it somewhere or put it online to download. UGH.

Will somebody put this crap on youtube or anywhere? I mean, it's free anyway. :evil:

You still have to pay to play. I'll pay for the box sets, just give them to me before you do stupid crap like On Demand and iTunes.

Quote:
t's just a way to get the series more accesable to more people it's still coming out on dvd in september calm down

Why not release ita t the same time?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Now anyone who wants to watch anime on a teeny-tiny screen losing all the detail without the option of the original audio has had their dream come true! Rolling Eyes

Seriously though, with Nana especially, the animation is so nice, don't watch it on an I-Pod, watch it on your computer or on TV. And for Honey & Clover, I'd have a hard time listening to any other cast.
tohru_tohru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Argh, I was so confused watching the Honey and Clover dub. They're using their first names? I couldn't recognize the names they were using and got this weird vibe because the names didn't sound familiar. I always give the dub a try, but it feels as if they changed the names altogether Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3