• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Freezing BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:45 am Reply with quote
Personally, I found this show horrifying. The blend of excessive fanservice and extreme violence and cruelty here is just gross. I mean, the fanservice is what it is. I get this kind of fanservice. I really don't get why on earth one would want to see it alongside a bunch of girls getting brutally chopped up and injured though.

FrameFreeze100 wrote:
I can't take this review seriously (like most ANN reviews) for various reasons. [...] I wouldn't be surprised if the ANN staff have some unanimous (B.S.) rule that they can't be too kind to fanservice shows and their dubs when reviewing them.

Okay man, whatever you say. I hope you realize though that it takes a special kind of idiot to keep visiting ANN and reading their reviews when you apparently can't take them seriously.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:18 am Reply with quote
well give since Funi-service sure got it reasons to pick-up this show.

besides there more to than doobi especially those mini ovas shorts as well.

give if plan to watch many times then finally get it yea really you should buy-watch it.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote
I have to admit, I liked this show, but there were a few things that bugged the hell out of me.

1. Why do people keep pestering her when they KNOW she's an unstable, border-line psycho with more then enough power to break you in half. I understand (somewhat) the people on top of the power chain, but the random idiots that attack her must be too dumb to live.

2. While the male lead is kind of useless, at least he's got a spine and a brain, which is much more then I can say for other protagonists written by this author. I just read ReBirth - The Lunatic Taker, and by GOD, that male character makes this one look like Kamina from TTGL.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:33 am Reply with quote
When I watch these shows, for better or worse, I always expect the core story to make sense, no matter the fan service or the violence. I think what stood out for me in the show is how the focus of the plot line kept jumping around.

You start out understanding how the girls fight each other to become stronger, and for training, to fight a vague enemy that is threatening the Earth. But as you progress a few episodes the focus is on what is a basically a pissing match between Satellizer and her upperclassmen. Did everyone forget they are supposed to be training together to protect the Earth? Then you get towards the end and all of a sudden this hatred (too strong?) of each other is forgotten about when they have to deal with this vague enemy. And all the while you still have this secret (explained through the show) of why Satellizer does not like to be touched. That could have been dealt with and added something substantial, story-wise, to the show as well.

I enjoyed the show, but it seemed to keep dropping the ball on taking potentially rich plot points and moving forward with them.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
Ms. Marchi's unparalleled specialty has long been infusing American-style street attitude into sassy characters, and while Rana is sassy, she requires a more colloquial flavor which is clearly not Marchi's strong suit; having her awkwardly phrase certain things simply isn't enough.
Maybe I just haven't been watching the right shows, but I thought that this specialty of Jamie Marchi was a recent development. The sass was always there, but this "street attitude" seems really recent as it grates on my patience something fierce; if I had observed it in the past, I would definitely remember. I think that she has gone from bringing her traditional "sass" to her characters to trying to imbue them with what I can only describe as her "modernized Valley Girl stereotype" pesona. Her recent scripts have had this in spades (The overuse of the word "chica" grated on me during BgHk) as have her newer roles (P&SwG) but her "older" roles and scripts like Witchblade/Solty Rei/Spice and Wolf didn't seem to have this.

Maybe I did miss it over the years, and if so I count myself lucky. I just wish it would stop, the sooner the better.

Maybe the reviewer is thinking of Jamie Marchi's role in Burst Angel? But I haven't watched that in years, so I can't recall if Marchi's role fits the reviewer's statement. I do know that Meg's character design fit the role visually.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
Very well done review. It sums up much of the way I felt about the show. I am personally not a fan of the "Barbie-doll-meets-hustler-magazine" style of female character design, but actually didn't mind the overly endowed characters in Freezing too much, though a little bit more realism in the proportions would have made them much more attractive to me.

The SF story-line of the show was interesting, if a bit scattered and hard to follow. I enjoyed the relationship development between Satellizer and Kazuya, as well as the rival/friend relationship between Rana and Satellizer, as far as it was developed. The thing that really got to me, was the completely random panty shots! I understand the clothing=armor getting destroyed and exposing the Pandoras and that wasn't a problem, but things like Kazuya having a totally mundane conversation with the student council president and the scene being shot from below and behind the skirt of said girl, showing a panty shot for the duration of the conversation is just excessive! I prefer to have some logical rational behind fan-service, not just random camera angles showing panties. That is where a show crosses the line between fan-service and pandering.

Overall, I liked the show, enjoyed the SF story and action, and found the back-story of Satellizer to be handled quite well, which surprised me. Not enough to buy it, though I would like to see the dubbed version at some point.
notazaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
I had no expectations going into Freezing but I ended up liking it a lot actually. Yeah it’s kind of got a mean edge to it but I also just finished Deadman Wonderland, which was pretty bad, and that show makes Freezing look tame in terms of violence and mean-spiritedness.

JohnnySake wrote:
You start out understanding how the girls fight each other to become stronger, and for training, to fight a vague enemy that is threatening the Earth. But as you progress a few episodes the focus is on what is a basically a pissing match between Satellizer and her upperclassmen. Did everyone forget they are supposed to be training together to protect the Earth? Then you get towards the end and all of a sudden this hatred (too strong?) of each other is forgotten about when they have to deal with this vague enemy.

The Nova don’t seem to come around that much so the students tend to lose focus and instead get caught up in battles over hierarchy and what not. However you know the Nova will appear at some point and yet the characters are more concerned with fighting each other while somewhat oblivious to the real danger. That does add some extra tension to the show though so I don’t see it as a negative really. It is funny though how at one point it is mentioned that “these peaceful days may be coming to an end” in regards to a potential attack by the Nova. I guess “peaceful days” includes students beating the crap out of each other and the occasional lost limb.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
How long has Joel McDonald been an ADR director? if he is new at this, it might explain some of the strange casting choices. I think he is much better at voicing timid, somewhat spineless male roles, like in Sekirei
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
How long has Joel McDonald been an ADR director? if he is new at this, it might explain some of the strange casting choices. I think he is much better at voicing timid, somewhat spineless male roles, like in Sekirei

He's done ADR directing before so this is not his first rodeo. Here is his profile on the encyclopedia.

Having finished up Freezing two weeks ago I enjoyed the series. I though the dub was enjoyable but I haven't listened to the Japanese audio track yet.

Quote:
You start out understanding how the girls fight each other to become stronger, and for training, to fight a vague enemy that is threatening the Earth. But as you progress a few episodes the focus is on what is a basically a pissing match between Satellizer and her upperclassmen. Did everyone forget they are supposed to be training together to protect the Earth? Then you get towards the end and all of a sudden this hatred (too strong?) of each other is forgotten about when they have to deal with this vague enemy. And all the while you still have this secret (explained through the show) of why Satellizer does not like to be touched. That could have been dealt with and added something substantial, story-wise, to the show as well.

I don't think they forgot the training. spoiler[The Upperclassmen got upset since they school has a strict hierarchy like the military and Satellizer disrespected this hierarchy so thus why they went after her for it. ]

I felt that the show explained her Haphephobia well at least by spoiler[showing you via flashbacks that her half brother sexually assaulting her over the years] instead of having her just throw out some long exposition explain what happened to her.

I didn't really have any issues with all of the fanservice or the gore in the show, even it being mixed didn't bother me. I do wish that spoiler[there was more variety with the bust sizes of the girls.] Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the sizes shown but some more DFC would have been nicer, or even some girls with not as large bust sizes would have been good. Another thing that I think should have been different was spoiler[the size of the girls nipples. It seemed like they all had the same size nipples.] Again not going to ruin the show but would have been a nice change.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
It looks like a lot of viewers on this forum as the show did a decent job with the fanservice, the main characters, and the storytelling. I'm surprised Key found a show where funimation had some questionable choices with the english dub when looking at the improvements of dubs over the years. It's nice to hear Key spend more time talking about the english, but I haven't received my copy of Freezing so I don't understand how awkward it is to change character nicknames in the english dub.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
KLAC wrote:
well give since Funi-service sure got it reasons to pick-up this show.

besides there more to than doobi especially those mini ovas shorts as well.

give if plan to watch many times then finally get it yea really you should buy-watch it.

no mention of the special item you get in the limited edition bundle?? Nobody??? You get this...
https://twitter.com/#!/ANNZac/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FijAPGkXV

I liked freezing for what it was, a show about tits, violence and just over the top craziness. I didn't expect much from the show going in so I got what I wanted in the end.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jacksonh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Okay, that was a partly comprehensible rant. . .

Look, compare the dub job on this one to their dub job on other things they've put out very recently - like, say, Shangri-La. It's just not on the same level. I listen to Funi dubs all the time and have been for years, so I'm pretty confident that I'm not wrong about this.

You are, of course, welcome to disagree, but you're not going to change my evaluation on this front, either.

I didn't think the Shangri-la dub was that great... Confused

I think you are wrong about the dub for Freezing (but me saying so obviously isn't going to change your opinion). I listen to Funi dubs all the time too and this is definitely not a mediocre dub.

For new Funi dubs this year (that weren't sequel or ongoing series) I'd rank it high with Shiki and Princess Jellyfish.

Caitlin Glass and Jamie Marchi were great as Satellizer and Rana, and most of the newcomers were fine.

While I strongly disagree with your opinions about the dub I do agree with your opinions about the music, art and animation.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I liked the show. It certainly had it's issues but I found it much better then other similar shows of it's kind. The fact that Satellizer has real reasons for being the way she is as opposed to just being that way for pandering reasons is nice. There are certain bits that annoy me and somewhat pulled me out(like the prom episode which i hated and thought didn't need to be there quite frankly) there were plenty of other little issues I could nit pick but then again what show doesn't have issues to be nit picked?

I will agree in some regards about the dub. I thought Jamie as Rana was really out of place. More so when you consider there were a crap load of other characters she could have played much better. I did however love Caitlin as Satellizer. I thought she did a great job. I liked the dub over all the only real complaint I had was Jamie as Rana and even that isn't any kind of deal breaker. She does a good job with what she had it just so happens she was miss cast.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I wouldn't say that I was outright enjoying Freezing during the first episode, but with about 5 minutes left I was thinking that I would definitely give it the benefit of the doubt with the three episode test.

Then in those last 5 minutes of the first episode the show goes off the deep end with the bland male protagonist stumbling into Satelizer and then groping her, causing the up-to-then brash and violent Satelizer to blush and moan a little. Needless I say I couldn't click the 'X' button in my media player fast enough and never bothered with any of the rest of the series. Up until that point it was a decent show, but then it just had to shoot itself in the foot.

There are two reasons why I dropped this show before the end of the first episode. The above is the second and main reason, which exactly echoes what I thought and how I felt.

But the first reason is the cruelty that the writer seems to enjoy inflicting on women. Other instances of this that I've come across are 'Master of Martial Hearts' and 'Kurokame: the Animation'.

I contrast the three of these series with the case of Videl in DBZ. Videl enters the World Martial Arts Tournament and ends up getting the everliving crap beat out of her by Spopovich. No one in the audience thought the cruelty showed by Spopovich was acceptable, none of the Z fighters did, either. I never got the impression that the writer enjoyed writing the scene.

The lavish brutality shown in the first episode of Freezing, OTOH, was not just considered acceptable, but was intentionally set-up and was part of "training" for those involved. I didn't buy it. Training? Really? Training -- particularly military training -- is supposed to both improve individuals *and* improve teamwork within the group and organization. I saw none of that, just an excuse to show young women either in pain or sadistically administering it. Not my idea of entertainment.

But, as with Meggido, I was still on-board, mainly because I liked Bridget. But then they assassinated her character with that moron male lead, and after that, I couldn't drop the series fast enough. I guess there are people who like this sort of thing, but I'm definitely not one of them.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
That was training for when they fight the Nova. those things mow down dozens of Pandora with relative ease. so wouldn't live training exercises that mimic real battle conditions make sense?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7