• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Hitchhiker Guide to the Super Robot Anime genre.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AU_Gundam

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Ribbons wrote:
I'm a pretty big mecha fan, but I always wanted to know where Big O was categorized. It has a lot of realistic elements but the series became campy whenever the robots appeared.

I'd personally qualify Big O as being on the real-ish side of things, if for no other reason than the fact that its somewhat pondering movements are much more what you'd expect out of a multi-story metal behemoth than your standard mecha. (Hell, it even beats a lot of other "real" robots out in that regard, considering how Evas and Gundams go zipping about all over the place.) The majority of its weapons (excluding the spoiler[Final Stage], obviously) are relatively plausible; things like rockets, piston-driven arms, and jet-propelled anchors don't exactly break the bank believability-wise. Most of the show's designs are decidedly old-school; I'd go so far as to classify Big O itself as almost steampunk-esque. That isn't to say that a few of the show's other robots don't trend toward "super;" one of the most memorable moments of the series for me was in the second-season episode "The Greatest Villain," which features Beck wielding a blatant parody of old-school super robots. Very Happy

(Of course, in the end, the series is no more a traditional mecha than Eva is, so maybe the whole point is moot. Razz)

The only issue with the Big-O argument lies in the scale of all the stuff he has. Sure, it may be more plausible, but from what I can tell, the amount he has is just too much for it to be considered downright Real.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
I'd categorize Big O as a Super, through and through. Even though, it has been hinted within the show that all the Bigs were once military units built for specific functions (Big O=Land combat, Big Duo=Air combat, Big Fau=Naval combat), it's design, size, power, and it's characteristic of both being Roger's "alter ego" and teammate whom he respects (most Real Robot pilots don't think of their suits beyond, getting in and fighting with it) puts it in the realm of Supers. Add to that Big O's nigh invulnerability (it rarely received out right damage) and you've got a Super. [/quote]
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:
Add to that Big O's nigh invulnerability (it rarely received out right damage) and you've got a Super.

"Rarely"? Just off the top of my head, do spoiler[a smashed headpiece, a cracked cockpit, a crumpled fist, a lost arm, and a blown-out Final Stage] not count for anything? Razz But I'll defer on the rest of your points, since I don't have a whole lot of experience in differentiating between the terms. In some respects, I find much of the distinction drawn between the two to be rather silly, since even the most "realistic" real robot would be completely and utterly implausible in any real-life scenario.
AU_Gundam

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Getting damage or being a military weapon doesn't make a Super any less Super.

I mean, go watch Mazinkaiser and see the first ep, spoiler[where Great and Z are literally torn apart.]
RedLeader

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
Topgun

Yeah, but a lot of that doesn't happen until near the end. For most battles, Big O is impregnable. It's typical in Super Robot shows for the nearly indestructable robot to start taking some bad licks near the end to show how truly powerful the final foes are.

AU

Well, to be fair, Great and Z HAD to be torn apart. If they weren't, there'd be no need for Mazinkaiser. :p Same thing happens in the movie. Great, Venus, Baion, and Daion all get shredded during the opening credits and Million doesn't fair much better after 20 or so minutes in. All to show that the only one who can stand against the Mycenians is Mazinkaiser. ... And Boss Borot. Anime hyper
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Robots are pretty much all supers, it just depends on its usage in the show as whether or not it is a "super" or a "real".

So, in the case of Big O, while it is pretty over powered, would fit into the real category because its used as a tool, a possibly living tool, but a tool nonetheless.
AU_Gundam

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Robots are pretty much all supers, it just depends on its usage in the show as whether or not it is a "super" or a "real".

So, in the case of Big O, while it is pretty over powered, would fit into the real category because its used as a tool, a possibly living tool, but a tool nonetheless.

If you can disregard plot armor and the "Divine" Talk that people make for Gundams, you'll see how Real Robots are Real.

Umm, Big-O doesn't fit because of the unrealistic scale of everything it has. The whole "being used as a military tool makes you a real robot" idea seems just to absolutely absurd, as we've had a number of Supers who were militia or organization tools and we've had a number of Reals that were symbols of something greater. Really, power and scientific plausibility seem to be the only way to make heads or tails of the two without so much as breaking a gut.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2