• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hetalia Anime Seen by 200,000 on Web, 60,000 on Phones

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:52 am Reply with quote
Wow, Kids Station were stupid for not bringing this show on their show. 200,000 plus people watched this online and 60,000 on phones. That would have been easy revenue, too bad for Kids Station. I would have never expected 200,000 or even 60,000.

Lesson to be learned; if a show is popular, you'd have to be really stupid not to want to have rights for it. Easy revenue and stable source of revenue as well.
RamzaOwns

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
u know, most of these people might have only watched it due to curiosity as to why it got banned

thats the exact same reason why i tried it out

and i didn't find the show funny... unlike most of the posters in this thread
Jarm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I guess the protesting backfired, you would expect Italians be likely the ones in a rage over this, not Koreans but i guess there aren't as many crazy nationalists in Italy.
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Of course the protests backfired. If you draw attention to something no one knew existed before, curiosity will take over.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was funny..and cute too. I don't see how this has started more trouble than Strike Witches but whatever.. It short and it's cute so I hope it gets released stateside. Looks like a little short that iatv wouldn't mind playing.
Horitsuba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
Watched both episodes and...am I the only one who didn't find it funny? I get the jokes cause im a history major in uni, but I just didn't find it funny. Maybe I'm just too old for it? I could tell it was def. for younger kids.

Well...I'm a history major too and I thought it was funny. Everyone's tastes are different. ^^ Even if it is directed towards children, it can be entertaining to adults too.

On another note, I'm amused at the statistics. XD;;
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
Watched both episodes and...am I the only one who didn't find it funny? I get the jokes cause im a history major in uni, but I just didn't find it funny. Maybe I'm just too old for it? I could tell it was def. for younger kids.

...It's not aimed at younger kids at all. I can't imagine a little kid finding the parody/satirical nature of it that amusing. It's really something that's aimed toward at an older audience. Plus it's based on a webcomic (not something young children would read) and has A LOT of really risque humor in it. It's not intended to be something like... Schoolhouse Rock or something.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:55 am Reply with quote
Jarm wrote:
I guess the protesting backfired, you would expect Italians be likely the ones in a rage over this, not Koreans but i guess there aren't as many crazy nationalists in Italy.

There aren't as many people who care about this in Italy! S'all. Laughing

(If an American animation has done something like this, trust me, Italy will care.)
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:17 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
(If an American animation has done something like this, trust me, Italy will care.)

Yep. We are the monsters. We aren't allowed to make fun of anyone, including half our own population. But which brings us back to the point that Korean radicals protested this because it is made in Japan, not because of content. Obviously, since Korea doesn't even appear in the anime version.

And I second the notion that this is not made for kids. None of the parody would work for children, or even many of today's teenagers lacking sufficient historical references. WW II is still the most significant historical incident of the 20th century, but it's a full three generations back now--Boomers were the first generation not alive at all during WW II, and they are starting to retire. It would take some effort for a modern teenager to learn the full cultural context necessary to recognize all the references.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Yep. We are the monsters. We aren't allowed to make fun of anyone, including half our own population.

Simply because Italy cares how it's perceived in the US (and by extension --thru the US entertainment's global reach-- the world). Not as much with Japan's corner of the world.

pparker wrote:

But which brings us back to the point that Korean radicals protested this because it is made in Japan, not because of content. Obviously, since Korea doesn't even appear in the anime version.

And like Italy with the US, Korea cares how it's perceived in Japan, its close ambivalent neighbor rival.
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
pparker wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Yep. We are the monsters. We aren't allowed to make fun of anyone, including half our own population.

Simply because Italy cares how it's perceived in the US (and by extension --thru the US entertainment's global reach-- the world). Not as much with Japan's corner of the world.

Um, no. While I agree that some Italians might respond based on this somewhat sophisticated thought process when protesting parody, the more common motivation would be a generally poor view of the U.S. internationally due to its supposed military and cultural imperialism and its history of discrimination. In short, the bully isn't allowed to make fun of his perceived victims, which in our case is apparently all persons past, present and future except white males. That perception has a chance to change now...

enurtsol wrote:
pparker wrote:

But which brings us back to the point that Korean radicals protested this because it is made in Japan, not because of content. Obviously, since Korea doesn't even appear in the anime version.

And like Italy with the US, Korea cares how it's perceived in Japan, its close ambivalent neighbor rival.

This is certainly painting the outhouse blue. The coverage on this incident focused almost exclusively on the animosity of a fanatical faction of Koreans toward the Japanese for historical violence against their ancestors, not that Koreans want to be thought highly of by the Japanese. If they cared how they were perceived, the government wouldn't have supported the fanatics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2