• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Virtual Goods

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N.R.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
It's bad that neither FFX or FFXII got really interesting sequels as both of them really changed the original games' styles.

They both DID get interesting sequels. Whether these sequels are good or not is a subjective matter.

@Todd: You're assumption that the .hack franchise wasn't a big success is incorrect. .hack is hugely successful in Japan. Namco Bandai is not "reviving it every few years" - .hack has never died and new manga, new novels and new series come out every year. Namco Bandai will be announcing a new .hack PS3 game in a couple of months (as you probably already know but forgot to mention when you trashed the entire franchise.)
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
sainta wrote:
It's bad that neither FFX or FFXII got really interesting sequels as both of them really changed the original games' styles.

They both DID get interesting sequels. Whether these sequels are good or not is a subjective matter.

@Todd: You're assumption that the .hack franchise wasn't a big success is incorrect. .hack is hugely successful in Japan. Namco Bandai is not "reviving it every few years" - .hack has never died and new manga, new novels and new series come out every year. Namco Bandai will be announcing a new .hack PS3 game in a couple of months (as you probably already know but forgot to mention when you trashed the entire franchise.)

They were good games in my opinion, but they lacked several things that made the first games very entertaining.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Sarukah wrote:
Quote:
TALES OF XILLIA 2 GIVES FANS ANOTHER JAPAN-ONLY RPG

This is not inherently true.

But highly likely.

I mean this IS a Tales game after all.
Sarukah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
Sarukah wrote:
opn wrote:
@sarukah Well the tales of twitter account for namcos UK branch has been hinting that it will be either TOX or TOIR but it sounds like the announcment was pushed back to a unknown date.

Where was that said? I just checked their page and saw nothing about it being pushed back (I didn't see any hinting towards TOIR either).

About TOIR https://twitter.com/TalesofU/status/217629165090910209
and as for it being pushed back https://twitter.com/TalesofU/status/217625881861033985 Might just be mistaking it though for both.

Oh okay, thanks for the links to the posts. As for the news being pushed back, I don't think thats what they're saying. Although I can't find or verify where I saw the end of the month thing so I'm gonna rescind that. At the very least, I don't think they're saying that whatever date they had in mind in the first place has been pushed back.
And the TOIR hinting is plausible as well with the way they replied! Thanks again for your verifying these to me :>
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I totally want Tokyo Jungle. I love animals and survival games; it's perfect!

Or hopefully will be. I mean, it could suck.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
FF is doomed to mediocrity through imitation while its fans whine about Call of Duty being more popular.

Dear god you are so right about this.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
FFVII: What made VII so enjoyable was the amount of content and the level of entertainment it provided to RPG seekers back in the day. The game had its own charm. Other FFs didn't need to completely copy that, they just needed their own charm. Problem is, what defines that one element that makes gamers want to start up a new game on any RPG is a tricky beast. Take it from me, I've played tons of them and they each grab attention in their own ways.

Tales of Xillia 2: Mark my words, we'll be getting something. For our Namco branch to pull a Namco at this stage would be a colossal load of fail they really can't afford to announce.

.hack//VS: .hack is still going strong in Japan. They eat that franchise up, though I can't say my interest in it is as high as before. I kind of tapered off after watching Roots.

Atelier Ayesha: Bizarre commentary about the naming structure aside, Ayesha is already shaping up to be even stronger than the Arland trilogy, judging from all the videos. It's nice that NISA's keeping up with Atelier too. I know we'll never get to see the other games unless they decide to remodel Marie into a PS3 with tons of redone content or something, but it's nice that we're getting what we're getting.

Theatrhythm: You have a copy of Kefka's Domain? Dude, sweet, that's a piece of history you got! As for this game, I've already said my piece on it.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Considering Bandai has no real interest in serving .hack outside of Japan I have my doubts about the BD set getting released in NA. They passed on .hack//link (still sour about that, it was one of my primary reasons for buying a PSP) and are out of the anime business so things look pretty grim for it. .hack//The Movie will likely get a release on its own through FUNimation, and I'll be happy to buy it, but I'm not expecting .hack//Versus to make its way over here.

As for FFVII, it's funny, back when they were started shooting down the idea of remaking FFVII the reason they gave for not doing it was because it would take 5 years to do it right. That was nearly 5 years ago... But Wada didn't just say he wanted to focus on making a game better than FFVII, but that they wouldn't remake FFVII until they did so. But how do you assess quality? This past week they also announced that FFXI was the most profitable FF game of all time and that the total play time among active users is over 200,000 YEARS. Sooo... mission accomplished?

Hopefully Atelier Ayesha (really fighting the urge of calling her Ayeshasha thanks the Arland naming convention) will see release in the US about this time next years since Atelier Meruru was released in less than a year after its Japanese release.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
"Cross Double Raid Linear Motion Battle System"

Try saying that three times fast.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
As for FFVII, it's funny, back when they were started shooting down the idea of remaking FFVII the reason they gave for not doing it was because it would take 5 years to do it right. That was nearly 5 years ago... But Wada didn't just say he wanted to focus on making a game better than FFVII, but that they wouldn't remake FFVII until they did so. But how do you assess quality? This past week they also announced that FFXI was the most profitable FF game of all time and that the total play time among active users is over 200,000 YEARS. Sooo... mission accomplished?

It's called PR speak.

In other words, he wants people to shut up about it.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh and as for the FFVII remake comments, I pretty much agree with OpRain's take on it:

http://operationrainfall.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-wont-happening-at-least-anytime-soon/
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Emerje wrote:

It's called PR speak.

In other words, he wants people to shut up about it.

Oh, I know, I just think it's funny when they basically contradict themselves. Surely they've figured out by now that people hang on every word they say regarding the FFVII remake. They're better off just not talking about it at all. Why even bring it up in the meeting in the first place?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kazume

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for an american announcement for Ayesha, already got the arland trilogy, Totori and Meruru both LE sets Very Happy

This is what JRPG's are about, FF has slowly been removed out of my life these past few years and companies like Gust NIS and Xseed have taken over. Good for me, I as a consumer am happy and I don't feel sorry at all for SE because they're clearly losing touch with their player base and not delivering the goods.

I recently saw ff13 new for 29 bucks and 19 dollars new for 13-2... yeah the sequel new is cheaper than the original new... sure it's just one retailer, but when one starts, others follow, and it says a lot about the quality of your games.

Ayesha's OP theme sounds incredible, I want an MP3 of it already so badly :')
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
No report on the moe-moe childrearing sim, Todd?? I am deeply disappoint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
kazume wrote:
I recently saw ff13 new for 29 bucks and 19 dollars new for 13-2... yeah the sequel new is cheaper than the original new... sure it's just one retailer, but when one starts, others follow, and it says a lot about the quality of your games.

...No.. it doesn't say anything about the quality of their games. You realize those two games sold more than any Gust, NIS, or Xseed game, right? If you want to go by your logic, that's undeniable proof Xseed, NIS and Gust's stuff pale in comparison to Square-Enix. Games do tend to price drop over time, after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3