• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game Round 2~!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese appears to say "no human" rather than "nobody." Combine that with the second hint and the obvious attempt to spoiler[avoid using a singular third person pronoun] in the third hint, I think it's safe to say that the speaker spoiler[is a machine.]
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
After reading hint #3 and using my own translated line this came up, though I didn't understand hint#2. What do you mean by "audi"? Since the only Audi I know is a car; but I don't think cars can design characters, can they? Either way, here's my guess:

spoiler[Benkei is the speaker. Xanthippe is the "she" Benkei was referring to. From Sora Kake Girl.]

The context totally escapes me, probably because I'm wrong, since this show isn't very popular and you said this one was easy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
What do you mean by "audi"? Since the only Audi I know is a car; but I don't think cars can design characters, can they?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFFLkFlIbyg

Of course, I don't know of spoiler[a Transformer whose vehicle mode is an Audi,] but that's besides the point.
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Based on the car hint, spoiler[Quattro from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS. Nanoha chooses to just blast through the walls to get to her after the Area Search rather than go herself.]

Having just had a discussion on theme naming on another forum, the Audi hint made me straight away think it must either be from Rayearth or Nanoha...
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Based on the car hint, spoiler[Quattro from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS. Nanoha chooses to just blast through the walls to get to her after the Area Search rather than go herself.]

Having just had a discussion on theme naming on another forum, the Audi hint made me straight away think it must either be from Rayearth or Nanoha...

You are correct! A major moment of ownage in a franchise that is chock-full of them. For anyone interested, here is a a clip of the scene - the quote comes at the 0:30 mark.

egoist wrote:
What do you mean by "audi"? Since the only AudiI know is a car; but I don't think cars can design characters, can they?

Many characters in the Nanohaverse have names related to cars, and Audi produces a model called the Quattro. The hint was a double pun since Quattro - being a cyborg - is part machine

BES Null Core wrote:
the obvious attempt to avoid using a singular third person pronoun in the third hint.

Good idea, but I was really just trying to keep the speaker's gender in doubt. Wink
Quote:
I think it's safe to say that the speaker is a machine.

Quattro is a cyborg, so you were partially right.
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Minigame:
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
Ah, I should know this.

spoiler[Mithril? What's that? I've never heard of it.]

I don't know if that was correct, but I do know that something along those lines was said in the same scene.
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but that's not what's being said here (and I don't think in this scene either).
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:37 am Reply with quote
spoiler[
Souske: Um, um, Captain?
Tessa: Have I missed anything, Sargent Sagara?

This is after Tessa plays around with Kaname by making it sound like she's not really Souske's Captain. Episode of 10 of Full Metal Panic.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that's correct. I actually wanted a picture where she said spoiler["I'm the captain of a... what was it? Attack submarine. And I'm a Captain in the military and also Mr. Sagara's boss. Yes, it's all true, Ms. Kaname Chidori."] But none of the pictures when she said that was very identifiable. I guess I should've done a strip with a blank speech bubble like DerekTheRed does.
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Main game:

The pain of being called a monster... The agony of not knowing why I'm different from others. I understand it very well. I've even dwelt on whether I really am a monster or not. There were also many times I felt like disappearing from this world! But I never wished for revenge!

This is from fansubs.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I need to take a shot on this, I just have to:
spoiler[Makka/Masuka from Toward the Terra talking to Keith in that scene where he almost kinda killed him, then sorta became his faithful lapdog shortly after? Or just him to Keith at the very least, he didn't seem to talkative with other people]?
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I need to take a shot on this, I just have to:
spoiler[Makka/Masuka from Toward the Terra talking to Keith in that scene where he almost kinda killed him, then sorta became his faithful lapdog shortly after? Or just him to Keith at the very least, he didn't seem to talkative with other people]?

Nope.

Hint 1. spoiler[Her mother certainly seemed to believe that her powers made her a monster.]

Hint 2. spoiler[The titular heroine has had a much easier time with revealing her powers to a family member.]
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
I believe that is spoiler[Naha Midori, from Telepathy Girl Ran, describing her rather sad childhood.]

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
I believe that is spoiler[Naha Midori, from Telepathy Girl Ran, describing her rather sad childhood.]

- abunai

That's right, to the old three eyes clan man.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 97 of 101