• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game Round 5~!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Botan24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
All right. I'm seriously running low on quotes, so here's a fairly easy one.

From the dub:

"There was a woman who built a tower so she could ring a bell for the ruined world to hear. That sound still resonants in my ears."
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Is it spoiler[Casshern from Casshern Sins from the episode where what happens is what the quote says? The woman wants to incorporate Casshern into the bell. Her name is Lizbell or Lisabell.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Botan24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
That is correct. That episode really could have been left out of the story entirely. However, it is one of my favorites in the show thus far (I'm only on episode 14 or 15 btw). Oh yeah, I'm not sure what her character name is either. I just know the robots call her "witch" at one point.

Anyway, your turn.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Although I found the series frustrating, I love that episode. In fact I have a fansub of just that one episode. I also love the piece of music - Luna - that is played prominently.

Next quote:

Dub: There comes a time for a man when he must act despite the dangers, knowing he may die. There comes a time for a man when he must fight, knowing that he may lose.

Sub: A man must always face danger, even knowing he may die. He must continue to fight, despite knowing he may lose.

(It wouldn't suprise me if it has already been used.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote
Hint the first: spoiler[The speaker is expressing his general world view but is also referring specifically to the protagonist, even though they are separated by a vast distance as these words are uttered. The protagonist idolises the speaker while the speaker can see a young version of himself in the protagonist.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Carr's advice to Wil in Allison to Lillia.]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:43 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I've not seen it, so no. Sorry.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

I've not seen it, so no. Sorry.

It also doesn't have a dub.

No guess yet, although this sounds awfully familiar.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Hint the first: spoiler[The speaker is expressing his general world view but is also referring specifically to the protagonist, even though they are separated by a vast distance as these words are uttered. The protagonist idolises the speaker while the speaker can see a young version of himself in the protagonist.]

Hint the second: spoiler[In an earlier scene the speaker did something manly with a bottle of milk, much to the appreciation of the protagonist.]
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I have a pretty good idea of whose work the quotation is from. I was barking up the wrong tree at first, but I think that I'm at least close.

To wit:

spoiler[Captain Harlock in Galaxy Express 999, strutting forward on the bridge of the Arcadia during the film's climax.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
spoiler[Captain Harlock in Galaxy Express 999, strutting forward on the bridge of the Arcadia during the film's climax.]

The cat is well and truly stuck up the tree. It's your turn so you can now return to the comfort of your kennel.

By the way, what tree were you barking up at first?

Strutting forward on the bridge:

And... justice applied with a bottle of milk:

Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
I've had the following saved for a few months for just such an occasion.

From a dub:

The two characters are meeting one another for the first time in a long while. Character A lights a cigarette.

A: I'd forgotten just how much time had passed. Want one?

B: No smoking in the museum. So, how long have you been smoking anyway?

A: The day we stopped fighting was the day there stopped being any point to not smoking.

errinundra wrote:

By the way, what tree were you barking up at first?

I first thought of Heat Guy J since saw just a few weeks ago and the titular J had a gimmick of issuing aphorisms of the form, "A man X," but J's proclamations had a different feel. They were more slightly kitschy, lighthearted film noir theatrics. After dismissing that, I turned to Gun Frontier because of the ridiculous, "A Man X," monologues that ended every episode, which at least put me in Leiji Matsumoto's universe. All I needed was some time and the bit about the milk to remind me of one of my favorite animated films.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
Hint please?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Hint please?

Yes, of course. One is more than due. Let me see if I can come up with something..

spoiler[The two are seeing one another once again because they, and their other former comrades, are have been called to a reunion by another comrade who lies gravely injured on an operating table as they are having the conversation.]

First, something that I almost included in the original post, an alternative version of the exchange from a different English dub.

A: The last 40 years have felt more like a hundred. Smoke?

B: There's no smoking in the museum. Besides, when did you take up smoking, X?

A: The day after our adventures came to an end. Ever since then there's been no reason not to smoke. Who cares if we're dead
or not?

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That's an old and obscure anime.

It's spoiler[Killy (A) to Shingo (B) in GoShogun: The Time Étranger, a 1985 OAV. They and Remi (the injured woman in hospital), are former members of a six person mecha team that once saved earth. Remi was on the way to a reunion when she has a car accident.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 96 of 100