• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fullmetal Alchemist TV Anime Series Confirmed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
sj21 wrote:
Interesting you say that, because last night i was wathing the american commentary for the show and Aaron(don't know his last name) but the voice of Al in the eng. dub said he dosen't know what happened and his theory is that Dante transmuted him.

You're taking the word of a voice actor who isn't even one of the characters involved?

He did the voice of Al, so technically he is one of the characters, if that's what you meant.

That kid is older now, so I can't see him doing Al's voice anymore if this new story takes place when he's still technically 11 years old.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
Zoe wrote:
sj21 wrote:
Interesting you say that, because last night i was wathing the american commentary for the show and Aaron(don't know his last name) but the voice of Al in the eng. dub said he dosen't know what happened and his theory is that Dante transmuted him.

You're taking the word of a voice actor who isn't even one of the characters involved?

He did the voice of Al, so technically he is one of the characters, if that's what you meant.

That kid is older now, so I can't see him doing Al's voice anymore if this new story takes place when he's still technically 11 years old.

I think he meant involved with that specific scene, which is correct, Al wasn't there. And like he said, a VA making a theory on a commentary is hardly room for confirmation.

I think he could still voice Al, as long as he manages to keep his voice fairly consistent.
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:
Zoe wrote:
sj21 wrote:

I think he meant involved with that specific scene, which is correct, Al wasn't there. And like he said, a VA making a theory on a commentary is hardly room for confirmation.

I think he could still voice Al, as long as he manages to keep his voice fairly consistent.

Not to mention he's a dub actor meaning he's not directly tied to the source material.
MrVince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:
the manga is also coming to an end

WRONG.

I wouldn't dismiss this as wrong yet.

I've been reading the manga, and based on reading manga stories past, I am seeing story elements indicating the beginning point of a final battle arc. If Tsukasa's correct and the new anime is based on the manga, it would make sense to start the anime production and subsequent release in the near future. Ideally no time gap would exist between the last manga chapter and the start of the anime.

Since some have been discussing Funimation being virtually guaranteed rights to the NA distribution I have a question to the panel:

Has Funimation confirmed (or denied) any investment role in the upcoming production?
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
I strongly disagree. The way the series ended spoiler[with the Elrics in separate worlds was just ridiculous. You just spent 50 episodes bleeding, sweating, and crying with them and hoping they ended up in their real bodies, and then it just ends with them apart forever and Al has no clue what happened for the last 4 years?? No freaking way.] The movie, even with its flaws, ended the show perfectly.

Honestly, I think spoiler[them ending up together with their real bodies and whatnot] would have actually been a worse ending. Much to predictable for a series that thrives off of unpredictability. It was still a positive ending because spoiler[they did indeed achieve what they set out to do, it's just the circumstances were different was all. I mean really, if you consider how dark and gloomy things were going for them even at their most positive points in the series, then it was a blessing they were able to end up with what they had.] And it was explained that spoiler[they were able to get that at least because of yes, the 50 episodes of blood, sweat and tears.] Of course yeah, I completely agree, spoiler[Al's loss of memory of that time period was indeed left hanging over (something the movie couldn't even sort out all that well..... ),] but even then it was still a minor enough thing that I felt flowed wonderfully with the actual ending sequence. For me it wasspoiler[ the whole determination of the brothers to continue on fighting to see each other again] that was more a wonderful wrapup of the series than it was trying to leave anything open for sequils or whatever, and it really made the ending a very moving and powerful one for me.

Of course that doesn't mean that there couldn't possibly be a sequel or anything, just that there didn't NEED to be. I'm not complaining of course, because even though I thought it was far inferior to the series I still liked the movie quite a bit and am glad it was made at least for that, and I think I'd feel the same about this series being an actual sequel, but the series still ended nicely enough as it was nonetheless.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:
Another thing no one's mentioned:

There are FMA OVAs. Only one is really relevant here though. It shows spoiler[three kids--looking remarkably like Ed, Al, and Winry very young--and their wandering through a city. The finally end up at a a home and we see a glimpse of a 100-year-old Ed in our world. It's been a while since I've seen it so I can't exactly remember how it's done, but it is conveyed that Ed is their grandpa, and he is 100 years old somewhere in our world in 2005.]Interesting to see if they'll be loyal to that if they go the sequel route.

And I just realized if they did go the sequel route, there are actually two spans of several years not covered in the anime: right after Ed becomes state alchemist and wanders for about 3 years and when Al is alone in his world. I honestly hope they pick one of these routes or find some way to make a decent continuation if they insist on making a sequel and beating a dead horse. I'm definitely anti-manga-remake. Sorry guys.

I respect your distaste for the manga , but in all honesty if they went any of those routes I wouldn't watch the new series. One of the reasons I liked FMA so much is because I fell in love with the characters. If the new series didn't revolve around Ed and Al I wouldn't be nearly as thrilled. So no, a story revolving around Ed's grandchildren with Ed in his twilight wouldn't cut it. A page of out of DB GT has proven to me that I never want to see my favorite characters aged past their prime, it completely ruins the magic for me. Also a fill in the blanks adaption wouldn't cut it either. It doesn't bother me not knowing what happened during those years, and if they did want to attempt filling in what did happen an ova would be more suited for it not an entirely new series.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:01 am Reply with quote
Claps hands!!! Dances around room! YEAH STUDIO BONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FMA ROCKED!!! WEEEEEEEE. Now I'm gona half to watch FMA for a third time just to celebrate!!!!!!
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:17 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Not to be a nay-sayer, but screen formats have changed since then from 4:3 to 16:9, and many shows are now being broadcast in HD. And BONES would be fools to not release a new FMA in HD. Just compare Gundam 00 to Gundam SEED if you need to see the difference.

Ops, you're right. ^^'

Well, then let make it a completely new series true to the manga! Very Happy

P.S. An Akira TV series would be a dream of mine becoming true.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
sj21

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
sledge-daddy wrote:
sj maybe you should calm down. i mean logically could dante have really beaten back gluttony and somehow magically escaped the elevator? even one of her ice golems wouldn't have helped that close of a range Confused

Well, if Mizushina said that then i'll take his word for it, but dante is a pretty powerful alchemist. That was all i was saying.
missing_soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:20 am Reply with quote
Remember Slayers Revolution... Rolling Eyes
Sakura22222

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I hated the anime and loved the manga. I'd be happy no...I'd be ecstatic if they made a manga adaptation. I agree that the first anime series is wrapped up and a sequel to the movie would be terrible and a prequel would be idiotic. In my opinion. I guess I'm the only one who's a fan of Winry and Riza on this whole forum because In my opinion they butchered and completely slaughtered Winry AND Riza's character in the anime more Winry than anything else.

With Riza she's a human in the manga she's cries she smiles she makes funny facial expressions. Not some shooting no emotions feeling solider. In the manga they reveal her past and why she's so dedicated Roy. They also watered down spoiler[Roy and Riza's relationship. In the movie Roy was in remote post where it was snowing and he was all depressed. Anyone that has read the manga KNOWS Riza would never let him be alone like that. I'm mean she didn't wan't to even live anymore when she thought he was dead. And she said she's follow him to hell.]

My opinion on Winry is that they killed her. They absolutely destroyed her character. First off she's a main character not spoiler[some support character that shows up every 10 episodes Evil or Very Mad (I'm pissed about that. And a main theme in the manga is forgivness and compassion. Winry is full of that. I mean she helped the man (Scar) that killed her parents Smile. It takes a big person to do something llike that. And I absolutely despised the animators when in 2 different episodes both Ed and Al hit her. Anyone that reads the manga knows that they woud never harm her....Well apparently the animators didn't know that. I think it's safe to say that most people that like the anime better or have seen the anime first hate Winry because the animators sure do. I don't know how they got her main character thing wrong because it's in a manga count and even Arakawa said Winry's one of her favorites. ]

Al is his own person in the manga and independent. Whereas in the anime he's just Ed's little brother and a side kick. Nothing more.

Ling, Ran Fan and Mei are great characters who I feel really deserved animation

I have no idea how anyone can like the anime better seeing as how it was BASED off the manga. If they do make the sequel I am PRAYING that it's based off of the manga.

Oh yeah I have to scream this. Ed and Winry do NOT HAVE A BROTHER/SISTER RELATIONSHIP!!!!!

Phew! I'm glad I got that out.

I'm looking forward to this. Smile

(I added spoiler tags for you, please do this yourself in the future. -selenta)
Sakura22222

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:
Another thing no one's mentioned:

There are FMA OVAs. Only one is really relevant here though. It shows spoiler[three kids--looking remarkably like Ed, Al, and Winry very young--and their wandering through a city. The finally end up at a a home and we see a glimpse of a 100-year-old Ed in our world. It's been a while since I've seen it so I can't exactly remember how it's done, but it is conveyed that Ed is their grandpa, and he is 100 years old somewhere in our world in 2005.]Interesting to see if they'll be loyal to that if they go the sequel route.

And I just realized if they did go the sequel route, there are actually two spans of several years not covered in the anime: right after Ed becomes state alchemist and wanders for about 3 years and when Al is alone in his world. I honestly hope they pick one of these routes or find some way to make a decent continuation if they insist on making a sequel and beating a dead horse. I'm definitely anti-manga-remake. Sorry guys.

I respect your distaste for the manga , but in all honesty if they went any of those routes I wouldn't watch the new series. One of the reasons I liked FMA so much is because I fell in love with the characters. If the new series didn't revolve around Ed and Al I wouldn't be nearly as thrilled. So no, a story revolving around Ed's grandchildren with Ed in his twilight wouldn't cut it. A page of out of DB GT has proven to me that I never want to see my favorite characters aged past their prime, it completely ruins the magic for me. Also a fill in the blanks adaption wouldn't cut it either. It doesn't bother me not knowing what happened during those years, and if they did want to attempt filling in what did happen an ova would be more suited for it not an entirely new series.

I agree with you completely. More filler characters would be confusing. I'm anti- movie sequel amd prequel. But I'm all for manga-based series.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Wasn't there a news article or something that confirmed she was going to end it soon? I don't know, I'm probably just imagining things.... Razz

I don't recall, no.
mike4192

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the series today by finally watching the movie, and so here are my thoughts.

1. I really really think this new series should not be a continuation from after the movie. The movie ended spoiler[with Al and Ed together in the other world foreshadowing a war in the future (WWII), if they did play this out, Ed and Al would be in their 30's, nearing 40 during the war. Sorry, I grew to love the characters in FMA because of their young personality and innocence. Them in their mid 30's would be really awkward, weird, and out of place. ]

2. The Movie also did indeed spoiler[end with both brother in the other world, the non alchemist one. How could you have a show called Full Metal Alchemist when no alchemy is going to be used? If they do continue from the movie, they will either stay in this other world and the thing i said previously would happen, or probably they would somehow find another loophole and manage to get back to their original world within the first few episodes, and the rest of the series would be based on some BS plot.]

So basically, what I believe is the best course of action, is for the new series to either:

Continue from the end of the original series, and disregard the movie as a alternate ending.

Or, continue off from where the anime strayed from the manga. Though personally I would rather want the first option since I thought the series was completely brilliant, every single episode. If half of the anime was basically made up after it strayed away from the manga, and still blew me away, I think another series continuing straight from episode 51 would still be awesome.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
But what if spoiler[they got back to their own world and closed the portal] don't you think they could continue on with their youth and innocence. Although they aren't exactly innocent anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 14