• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Viz Signature Line Now and the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
driverstart

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, it is a new month, so it's time to check out what's new for us in the Viz Signature Line. Here's what is coming:

December 16:
Monster Vol. 18
Vagabond VizBig Vol. 2

I'm going to buy both books this month, how about you?

Wow, Monster has finally ended, it's kind of sad. I've been reading the series since 2006 and it has finally ended. It was a fun ride, at least 20th Century Boys and Pluto are on their way in Feburary.

Next month, Oishinbo is coming out, a brand new series. I've been wondering... what's with the series? Is it worth my time? I've read the back and I'm a little confused about how this story goes.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I might make some purchases next week, depending on whether or not I attend the mini-con going on in Toronto.

If I do, I plan on finishing off Monster, as well as picking up Solanin. The premise is incredibly intriguing, and I've heard too much praise to NOT pick this up in short order.

Oishinbo is essentially a cooking series if I remember correctly, but because (I presume that) the series is much too long for Viz to print out without fear of lack of future sales (104-105 or so volumes and counting!), they're only going to publish about 10-12 or so volumes of particular volumes that contain certain themes/types of dishes.
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys ;3
I recently joined here, and was reading all of your comments...
And have 2 questions regarding titles from Signature Line.

1.- In Vagabond´s VIZBIG edition, do all the color pages are printed in color? (Or at least the color pages that were in color in the Vagabond volumes)
2.- Does MONSTER has color pages?

Thanks, that would be it :3

BTW, I propose a topic, what manga do you want to join the Viz Signature Line?

Golden Boy, Liar Game, My wife is a student, Say Hello To Black Jack (Its weird, I dunno who has the license Shogakukan or Kodansha, since the first series was published by Kodansha, but now the author publishes for Shogakukan)
Though the only one with a theme apt for the "Signature line" would be Say Hello To Black Jack.
driverstart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
Well it is a new month, heck, it is a whole new year now! Hooray! New titles are coming out this year for the Viz Signature series and current ones are still coming out!

Here's what's lined up for this month:
January 20th, 2009:
Oishinbo: Japanese Cuisine
Real Vol. 3

I'm picking up Real this month, but I'm still not sure about Oishinbo.

Also, I should note that I mentioned in a previous comment about a series called Ooku: The Inner Chamber. I have discover that it will for sure be coming out for Viz Signature line.

perroloco wrote:
Hi guys ;3
I recently joined here, and was reading all of your comments...
And have 2 questions regarding titles from Signature Line.

1.- In Vagabond´s VIZBIG edition, do all the color pages are printed in color? (Or at least the color pages that were in color in the Vagabond volumes)
2.- Does MONSTER has color pages?

Thanks, that would be it :3

BTW, I propose a topic, what manga do you want to join the Viz Signature Line?

Golden Boy, Liar Game, My wife is a student, Say Hello To Black Jack (Its weird, I dunno who has the license Shogakukan or Kodansha, since the first series was published by Kodansha, but now the author publishes for Shogakukan)
Though the only one with a theme apt for the "Signature line" would be Say Hello To Black Jack.

I'll answer your two questions. I believe that VizBig Edition of Vagabond has all the color pages in color. Secondly, no, Monster has no color pages in them.

Also, about your proposal, I suppose you could start a topic. However, this entire topic is dedicated to Viz Signature line's titles, ones soon to come, and proposals for titles that Viz should get for the Signature line. So, there really isn't a need to start a new topic, but you can. Lastly, to adress all those titles you brought up, I never heard of any of them, are they good?
perroloco

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:

driverstar wrote:
I'll answer your two questions. I believe that VizBig Edition of Vagabond has all the color pages in color. Secondly, no, Monster has no color pages in them.

Also, about your proposal, I suppose you could start a topic. However, this entire topic is dedicated to Viz Signature line's titles, ones soon to come, and proposals for titles that Viz should get for the Signature line. So, there really isn't a need to start a new topic, but you can. Lastly, to adress all those titles you brought up, I never heard of any of them, are they good?

Golden Boy=An H-title...

Liar Game= A thriller in which players lie to each other.

My wife is a student= Other H-title

Say Hello To Black Jack=The best medical manga I have read... And the very first manga that has made me cry... Like trice... And just in one arc...
The manga depicts the corrupt medical system of Japan, its pretty much crude reality... Not what you`d see on say Dr. House or any american medical drama.

I haven`t read much of it yet (Just vol 1-5) but it`d definetly be a great pick for the "signature line" .

manga#4059
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Blackjack_ni_Yoroshiku
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
Is anyone else upset that Pluto, which has 200 pages, is $13 when they were commonly $10 for the same amount of pages? I'm actually going to have wait on buying Pluto as a result, stupid economy...

I'm still glad they picked up Pluto, don't get me wrong, and if it had more than 200 pages, I'd be ok with paying more money for it (like Parasyte cost $13, but has 280 pages in it), but apparntly, the economy is beginning to take its toll on Viz.

In other non-depressing related news, I agree with perroloco in that Liar Game would be a title I'd like them to pick up. It's fun to read, but also thrilling and exciting (even if the girl annoys me with her extreme stupidity and gullibility). It's a bit similar to Death Note in a way that most of the action is psychological and not outright beating up of each other (like in DBZ), and I think it's something that (most importantly) Viz would be able to sell.
perroloco

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Its pretty expensive, the only "Signature Line" titles I am buying right now are REAL, Vagabond and Tekkon Kinkret, and thats because they aren`t that expensive (Thanks to the Viz Big editions) except for REAL, but I really like it, and its not too long.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Is anyone else upset that Pluto, which has 200 pages, is $13 when they were commonly $10 for the same amount of pages? I'm actually going to have wait on buying Pluto as a result, stupid economy...

I'm still glad they picked up Pluto, don't get me wrong, and if it had more than 200 pages, I'd be ok with paying more money for it (like Parasyte cost $13, but has 280 pages in it), but apparntly, the economy is beginning to take its toll on Viz.

Uh, no, it's not because of the economy. They're offering it at the same price point of Real, for instance. You get better paper stock, print quality, color pages and a larger book size. Viz realizes that fans who are interested in these type of stories are willing to settle down a little extra cash for quality.

As for what titles I'd like to see join Viz's Signature Line... There's way too many. A lot of the Shuensha titles that I have listed here, definitely. If they were to ever bring over The World is Mine or Kiichi!!... well, either one would be the most astonishing and important license for mature manga. Ever.

perroloco wrote:
Its pretty expensive, the only "Signature Line" titles I am buying right now are REAL, Vagabond and Tekkon Kinkret, and thats because they aren`t that expensive (Thanks to the Viz Big editions) except for REAL, but I really like it, and its not too long.

Have you tried Solanin?
driverstart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
It's a new month and it is a cool month as well! It's Naoki Urasawa Month, because both Pluto and 20th Century Boys are finally released here in America and they are the only titles coming out for Signature Line this time around. Of course I'm going to buy them, heck I preordered them months in advance.

Feburary 17, 2009
20th Century Boys Vol. 1
Pluto Vol. 1

It also seems kind of weird not to be getting a volume of Monster this time around after so long, but 20th Century Boys will fill the void.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quote
Ahh, so they're finally available.

I'll likely pick these up next month at the next mini-con in Toronto, along with the last two volumes of Monster. (I wasn't able to get them in December like I intended to. ) Sad
hoppersyque?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
I recently picked up Hotel Harbour View and it says it's published under a line called Viz Spectrum Editions. Anyone aware of anything else that may have been published under this line or why HHV is special and has it's own line? Or what ever happened to the line?

There were, as far as I know, 3 Viz Spectrum titles...one of the others was Shion: Blade of the Minstrel, and I'll be damned if I can remember the other one. Viz Spectrum was a *VERY* short-lived line for one-shot, prestige format releases for mature readers in the very early 90s. These books were still in Viz Shop-By-Mail catalogs as late as 1998 or so, but I think Hotel Harbour View is the only one that's easily findable these days.

The other one was "Saber Tiger" by Yukinobu Hoshino. I don't know about Shion, but the other two are still easily found at fire sale prices.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Just got both Pluto and 20th CB in the mail! They're both the same size as Solanin (except thinner, obviously), and have the same cover flaps that it had. Also just flipping through to the back, Pluto has an article about Astro Boy with Naoki Urasawa and Macoto Tezka, while 20th Century boys has some translation notes. Pluto has the first few pages in color, but 20th does not. Overall, it's the same level of quality that Solanin received. Now I'm gonna go read. Byeee
Pityless/Envy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Just got both Pluto and 20th CB in the mail! They're both the same size as Solanin (except thinner, obviously), and have the same cover flaps that it had. Also just flipping through to the back, Pluto has an article about Astro Boy with Naoki Urasawa and Macoto Tezka, while 20th Century boys has some translation notes. Pluto has the first few pages in color, but 20th does not. Overall, it's the same level of quality that Solanin received. Now I'm gonna go read. Byeee

Thanks for the info, I hope more series get this sort of treatment.

I'm going to go buy them when I get the chance.
driverstart

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quote
It's been a while since I said something, mostly my life has gotten in my way. But anyways, my latest discoveries have to be told! We, fans of the Signature Line, are getting 2 brand new stories in the fall I believe.

For the first is called What a Wonderful World, by Inio Asano, who also wrote solanin. Here's the information bio I got off Amazon about the series:

Quote:
What begins with a college dropout bored of her mediocre routine soon becomes a fantastic series of vignettes about the unexpected ways that lives intersect. Filled with magical realism in the face of the cold reality of modern life, at their core these stories are about discovering something precious in the chaos of existence. A dream recaptured. A life on a new track. The absurdity of death. Laughter in the face of reality. With this series of intersecting vignettes, Inio Asano explores the ways in which modern life can be ridiculous and sublime, terrible and precious, wasted and celebrated.

The other book I found out was GoGo Monster by Taiyo Matsumoto, the guy behind No. 5, Black and White, and Blue Spring. The description got was this:
Quote:
GoGo Monster is a nuanced tale of a young boy and his overly active imagination. Nine-year-old Yuki Tachibana lives in two worlds. In one world, he is a loner ridiculed by his classmated and reprimanded by his teachers for telling stories of supernatural beings that only he can see. In the other worlds, the super natural beings vie for power with malevolent spirits who bring chaos into the school, the stduents lives and nature itself.

Well, what are your thoughts about this?

As always, I'll bring up what is coming this month.

May 19, 2009:
Vagabond Vol. 29
Pluto Vol. 3
Oshinbo: Ramen and Gyazo

I'll be buying Pluto and Oshinbo this month like usual.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10