• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the only issue I had with the Bibliophile Princess anime was that Eli came across as one-dimensional compared to the novels. She narrates most of the story in the novels. It’s a shame that the anime couldn’t include all of her narration which I feel gives her more personality.

I have a feeling this season will only adapt 2 out of the 5 novels.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:19 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
Yeah, the only issue I had with the Bibliophile Princess anime was that Eli came across as one-dimensional compared to the novels. She narrates most of the story in the novels. It’s a shame that the anime couldn’t include all of her narration which I feel gives her more personality.

I have a feeling this season will only adapt 2 out of the 5 novels.

I did not think that she had a one-dimensional personality at all. I can relate to her somewhat, and to her introversion. It's clear that she's already falling in love with the prince without quite realizing it, and she's been shown to be very kindhearted, since she was concerned for Irene when she arrived in a wet dress. So yeah, there's more to her than "I like to read."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:42 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Killing blatantly evil people and celebrating their deserved and justified ends is kinda the norm. We in the audience are supposed to feel some cathartic release when bad guys meet their deserved end, for the vile evil they have done.
I think it's a dumb norm. The writers are creating the blatantly evil people in the first place, they're creating all the evil that they've done, and they're then creating the superpowers to kill the evil. If they're not doing the work to actually give these characters the dimensionality to trick my brain into seeing them has human, (i.e. if their only character trait is "evil"), there's no catharsis to seeing them get bipped. If the writers aren't putting the effort into turning their props into people, it's as compelling as a guy waving a stick around saying "this is an evil stick" and expecting me to cheer when he snaps it in half, to the point I actually find it kind of insulting that I'm expected to enjoy that.

Obviously I'm the odd one out, everyone else seems to love this stuff.
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Nicholas Dupree wrote:
I had several lingering questions at the end of this premiere, but probably the biggest and most troubling one was this: what does our titular princess like about books and reading?

I mean, that's commonly overlooked by a lot of bibliophile series and I'm not really sure why. (I bounced off Ascendance of a Bookworm for similar reasons, though I also didn't admittedly get very far so perhaps it's explained better later on.)
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:38 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Nicholas Dupree wrote:
I had several lingering questions at the end of this premiere, but probably the biggest and most troubling one was this: what does our titular princess like about books and reading?

I mean, that's commonly overlooked by a lot of bibliophile series and I'm not really sure why. (I bounced off Ascendance of a Bookworm for similar reasons, though I also didn't admittedly get very far so perhaps it's explained better later on.)

Unless its explained much later in Ascendance, not really. She also knew shockingly little, never reference any actual book and, when given the chance to make a book, her first instinct is to make a simple story book for children, so I think she just really liked reading novel/light novel stuff and nothing really meaty. Ultimately bookworm type character are made to be audience stand in, the writer of the series know that the audience likes reading light novel book so that's what they'll design their character toward. But they can't really go any further because otherwise they risk alienating part of the audience.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:07 pm Reply with quote
The Bookworm novels do have several passages talking about the joy of reading, but also make it clear her taste was entirely indiscriminate, and she would and could read ANYTHING. A lot of her knowledge base comes from history books, etc. And that actually factors into the eventual plot, since her omnivorous reading habits mean she winds up learning to read texts so ancient few others can even decipher them.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Killing blatantly evil people and celebrating their deserved and justified ends is kinda the norm. We in the audience are supposed to feel some cathartic release when bad guys meet their deserved end, for the vile evil they have done.
I think it's a dumb norm....

Obviously I'm the odd one out, everyone else seems to love this stuff.

I don't think you're odd in this regard. I hate it and think it's terrible writing as well. This is a hill Tars loves to die on, though; I'm not even super active here and can remember close to a dozen threads where he's been the other party in exactly this conversation. So, I don't think (y)our differences will be reconciled anytime soon. Razz
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I've not seen everything on my probable watch list- still missing gundams and chainsaws- but I've a few:

Ittoki no Shinobi is a show I almost quite like. I need one thing from it: Ittoki being a bit more interesting a character. Most of the episode he just bounced around in various states of resignation and/or shock- which made sense, but I don't care to have it be a running trend. I need to see some more proactive behavior, or I'm going to lose interest. I'd also like some kind of explanation for not informing him til now- even if its a silly handwave-y reason. But I don't know that I expect that. Its on the 3 episode test list.

Raven Palace Also on the 3 episode list, but for different reasons. If I'm reading the clues correctly, I like the idea of the show- supernatural mystery solving with perhaps a bit of a love story. I'm a sucker for that stuff. But...thats me making a fair number of assumptions. I like what I've seen, think the idea has potential, but I need to see if I'm making too many assumptions.

SpyxFamily is unsurprising. I don't think this ep will alter anyone's opinions, one way or the other. But I enjoy it, so its fine.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:13 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Nicholas Dupree wrote:

My admittedly cynical take is that in most cases (disclaimer: NOT ALL, YES, I'M SURE THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS) it's simply because the writer never actually thought that far. They're just using the aesthetics of "girl who loves to read" as a shorthand for "she's intelligent" and "she's not like other girls". In many stories "being more interested in books than guys!" is basically a short for "she's not like other girls who are not the intellectual equal of the lead guy and just like him for his good looks and money!" And yes, I've seen it used as a plot point like "she knows Plot Important Stuff because she's read so much" but even that is just plot convenience and not a characterization thing.

As someone who also used to be an avid reader of basically anything I came across when I was younger (and while adulthood has done away with that, the diverse and completely unpredictable taste has remained, as anyone who's asked me for manga recs knows), I've long since given up on these stories because it's obvious that the love for reading is just an aesthetic and not an actually important piece of characterization. Also, as someone who was always kind of an outlier and could never fit any mold for technically female human beings, I really hate the whole "Not Like Other Girls!" thing.

(If you do Not Like Other Girls, at least make it interesting or funny. Like Akujiki reijou, where the "weird girl" is regarded as such because she has an appetite for dishes made from terrible and sometimes disgusting-looking demonic creatures, and as such she catches the attention of the "mad duke" who is regarded as such because he's so focused on butchering monsters. I'm sure it eventually turns into a completely bland romance, but what I've read of it was at the very least, Not Like Other 'Not Like Other Girl' Romances.)
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Can we pour one out for the book in Bibliophile Princess that just sat in a puddle of tea with 3 people standing around it not making the slightest effort to move it to a dryer location?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Futoku no Guild: Nice colors. Everything else is about what I expected. The running gag with the chipmunks was great. spoiler[Hitamuki breaking her fingers] is a one time thing, and not indicative of the show's tone.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:31 pm Reply with quote
There's understanding the assignment & then there's Akiba Maid War. My mouth was open during the entire of 'that' sequence near the end. It looks like Birdie Wing might have some competition for the 'pulp anime of the season' award.

Phenomenal.
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I did have an idea what to expect from Akiba Maid War based on the title, and the opening scene confirmed those expectations. Color me not impressed. And don't get me started on most of what followed. We have some cute (or not) maids and they are gonna fight. How interesting....not really. But then, unironically one of the most brilliant scenes in anime this year. I don't think any series has made me laugh so hard. There's being edgy and there's being batshit insane. P.A. Works is at it again....
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:01 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
There's understanding the assignment & then there's Akiba Maid War. My mouth was open during the entire of 'that' sequence near the end. It looks like Birdie Wing might have some competition for the 'pulp anime of the season' award.

Phenomenal.
Well, the basic description of Akiba Maid War can be done now in one sentence - it's a goddamn yakuza series with all definitive yakuza movie tropes, but all of the yakuza gangs LARPing as maid cafes business.

The only thing is how far they can stretch that premise between the comedy approach and this setting.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
If they're not doing the work to actually give these characters the dimensionality to trick my brain into seeing them has human, (i.e. if their only character trait is "evil"), there's no catharsis to seeing them get bipped.

Alright then, let me explain his character traits: he's a rich kid whose dad is a backstabbing hyper-capitalist who bought a powerful mech for his son and presumably pulled many other strings to get him into the position he's in. He's the sort of kid who doesn't understand the concept of not getting what he wants--a spoiled brat, in other words--who has unsurprisingly "grown up" into a bully who sees no issue with forcing someone to marry him and lashes out violently when anyone questions his authority. He plays by the rules, but only because the rules have always worked in his favor; with that pattern broken, who knows? After all, look how his dad behaves, trying to assassinate a guy just to ensure his son gets the girl. Both of them are also part of the money-and-masculinity-driven faction that destroyed the hero's hometown as a child, making this her first chance to hit back at them.

He's not that deep of a character, at least not yet. But he's only been in one episode, and all of episodes 0 and 1 is just setting the stage. And you still can't fully describe him with just the word "evil." The main big-picture antagonist is the guy his dad almost murdered, so it's already not straightforward good-and-bad-guys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 22