• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Milky Holmes Cast to Voice My Little Pony in Japan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, I'd like to see your cites for Escaflowne bombing in Japan. Data for that period is harder to come by than for modern shows, and there is a lot of misinformation going around. (see also: Cowboy Bebop).

Alright, I'll use this prove my point

Quote:
Though well received, The Vision of Escaflowne was not as popular in Japan as producers hoped. Outside of Japan, however, it was a worldwide hit. In the United States, it outsold Gundam on video tape, and the first volume of the English DVD release of The Vision of Escaflowne was the fourth best-selling anime DVD for the month of September 2000. The series aired in South Korea where it enjoyed consistently high ratings. Producers noted that it was the worldwide success that led to the eventual creation of the anime film, Escaflowne.

Also, CB wasn't all that popular in Japan. It's modestly popular in Japan at best. It sells alright I guess, but it's not comparable to it's popularity in the USA. Same with Escaflowne, not counting that god awful 90s version from Saban. The Bandai Entertainment dub was the one, that was popular.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Something I forgot to mention earlier I just thought would be fun to post, I was in a chat with a friend on Funimation forums, and he pointed out how Bronies, in a way are the U.S. Equivlant to Magical Girl Otaku, and you know I sort of agree, just as Precure was something made overall to market to young girls but became somewhat popular with males as well, it is kind of a nice parallel.

Although I guess to be far a more accurate summation of Bronies would be Magical Girl Otaku mixed with the more overly vocal DBZ or Naruto fans Anime hyper. Attitude wise that is.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I try not to lump them together
there are pony fans, male pony fans, bronies and obsessive bronies.

precure appealing to older males was probably done intentionally to increase sales as you can see the girls getting sexier from previous revisions and they look like highschool age girls now.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:

Also, CB wasn't all that popular in Japan. It's modestly popular in Japan at best. It sells alright I guess, but it's not comparable to it's popularity in the USA. Same with Escaflowne, not counting that god awful 90s version from Saban. The Bandai Entertainment dub was the one, that was popular.

[citation needed]

Cowboy Bebop, while not nearly as popular as it became in the US (for a variety of reasons) was not by any stretch of the imagination a failure, having sales that would put it very safely in the "hit" category if it were to air today.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:

It just sold fourteen thousand BD sets, expensive ones too. I'd say that's quite successful for a re-release that is NOT enticing westerners with no dub or subs. Those are likely pure Japanese sales. I'm tired of this "only us westerners are coin-o-sewers of fine anime, not this Japanese rabble." It just didn't have the same perennial popularity Bebop enjoys from never being removed from broadcast here for the last decade.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Something I forgot to mention earlier I just thought would be fun to post, I was in a chat with a friend on Funimation forums, and he pointed out how Bronies, in a way are the U.S. Equivlant to Magical Girl Otaku, and you know I sort of agree, just as Precure was something made overall to market to young girls but became somewhat popular with males as well, it is kind of a nice parallel.

I vowed to say my previous piece then bow out of this thread, but this comment left me sighing. Soundmonkey44, since you seem to be the most zealous fan of this show here, I must ask if you've even seen Precure or any magical girl show. That comparison is completely off basis. Anime fans can enjoy magical girl shows because of their level of writing and plot, which My Little Pony has zero of. Precure has a girl's best friend shot through the chest and die in her arms protecting her from a villain and having to deal with the death on her emotions and mind, along with some high-octane action scenes and plotlines. Sailor Moon also has quite a lot of tragic and mature themes unfold in the plot and to the characters and being one of my favorite anime of all time. Ojamajo Doremi takes both of those shows and cranks them up to eleven. The notion that My Little Pony is in the same league as these shows or their fans is just incomparable. My Little Pony is written as your typical pre-school show: episodic and focusing on a key aesop of the day to teach children. Anime is generally written on many levels so people of all ages can enjoy it. I do not mean references to things like Dr. Who, which are just cheap references. I'm talking about quality writing and stories, with continuing story-lines and events. Is there a character on My Little Pony who goes through as much thematic development as Nephrite, one of the first, basic villains of Sailor Moon?

- Stuart Smith
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Actually I think the 'fan equivalent' of the Brony are 'moeblob' fans. (yeah I know, the term is too generic, what the heck is a moe show, etc. -- but I'm talking about social stereotypes). They both inspire the same level of curiosity from observers and well, revulsion. I mean, I'm just being frank.

But yeah -- I wonder how familiar you are with the magical girl example you gave. Precure is pretty much an action show that is sold to girls. The videos I've seen on YouTube show fighting that are shounen-level violence.

And yeah, Soundmonkey, it's cute that you're trying to make a 'see? we are allies in nerdiness, we face the same things' but simple group psychology gives me the impression that anime fans are probably among the happiest to bully bronies because it takes the 'creep' spotlight away from them for a while.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
@ Stuart: Pre-School Show is a bit harsh, its much better then that. Also i'm not saying the shows are in the same league yes it is wrong to compare them as actual shows, just making a round about statement about actual fanbases, both liking something that was origoinally intended for young girls. Thats all.

But yes the show unlike what your saying is written so multiple age groups can enjoy it, again the writers specifically state they write something they would want to sit down and watch with their kids, near everyone on the shows staff has been in the animation field for Decades and worked on many popular Cartoon Network & even a few Nicktoons over the years, they know what they are doing. And believe it or not the characters in the show do develop over time just like in any other good story, and the show does have a sense of continuity that it builds off of, which is more then can be said for most "pre-school" shows.

Again I will say I was overzealous into comparing it to PreCure, but my overall point still stands.

@Rose: I do believe you are right my dear, anything to steer bad blood away from one fanbase to another I guess., sigh, how cruel the internet can be. And yes I guess Moeblob is a bit accurate then Magical Girl. *since the series does have a more slice of life tone to it more often then not then action/adventure, those are mostly just in the 2-parters*
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

I vowed to say my previous piece then bow out of this thread, but this comment left me sighing. Soundmonkey44, since you seem to be the most zealous fan of this show here, I must ask if you've even seen Precure or any magical girl show. That comparison is completely off basis. Anime fans can enjoy magical girl shows because of their level of writing and plot, which My Little Pony has zero of. Precure has a girl's best friend shot through the chest and die in her arms protecting her from a villain and having to deal with the death on her emotions and mind, along with some high-octane action scenes and plotlines. Sailor Moon also has quite a lot of tragic and mature themes unfold in the plot and to the characters and being one of my favorite anime of all time. Ojamajo Doremi takes both of those shows and cranks them up to eleven. The notion that My Little Pony is in the same league as these shows or their fans is just incomparable. My Little Pony is written as your typical pre-school show: episodic and focusing on a key aesop of the day to teach children. Anime is generally written on many levels so people of all ages can enjoy it. I do not mean references to things like Dr. Who, which are just cheap references. I'm talking about quality writing and stories, with continuing story-lines and events. Is there a character on My Little Pony who goes through as much thematic development as Nephrite, one of the first, basic villains of Sailor Moon?

- Stuart Smith

Oh god. We've found the next TitanXL.

He's even got the same "My japanese children's cartoons are SO EDGY AND GRIMDARK SO MATURE" thing going on.
Smithart Stu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

He's even got the same "My japanese children's cartoons are SO EDGY AND GRIMDARK SO MATURE" thing going on.

But verily you must concur with the overarcing opinion that the infantile juvenilia of Western animated pictures is incapable of holding the proverbial candle to the depth of Japanese animé. And no, I do not merely proclaim this of the aforementioned cartoon featuring brightly technicolored ponies. In truth, this is a iron-clad aphorism that does not contain any exceptions. Vis-à-vis the animation from Japan, the output from the Western civilizations does not compare. For surely as the solar orb arises in the Eastern sky and lowers itself over the horizon in the West, so too does the entertainment from Japan lift itself up into the atmosphere, high above the West.

- Smithart Stu
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:27 am Reply with quote
Smithart Stu wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

But verily you must concur with the overarcing opinion that the infantile juvenilia of Western animated pictures is incapable of holding the proverbial candle to the depth of Japanese animé. And no, I do not merely proclaim this of the aforementioned cartoon featuring brightly technicolored ponies. In truth, this is a iron-clad aphorism that does not contain any exceptions. Vis-à-vis the animation from Japan, the output from the Western civilizations does not compare. For surely as the solar orb arises in the Eastern sky and lowers itself over the horizon in the West, so too does the entertainment from Japan lift itself up into the atmosphere, high above the West.

- Smithart Stu

That is a beautiful poem, to bad its far from the truth. Animation is a beautiful form of art & story telling, but anime fans are far too hypocritical and pompus in their views at times.

Animation is to Japan, what Reality TV & Sitcoms are to the U.S., theres a lot of it made, and sadly most of it isn't all that great, sure every now & then you'll get a a shining gem, like say Tatami Galaxy or Kids On The Slope. But yeah, remember its always good to take a good long look at your own self bias. Animation from any where in the world can be good or bad. America, Europe, Japan, all produce great & horrid titles.

And given in the end it all comes down to personal preference, but yeah.

Saying anime is always superior to domestic animation is just silly.

But meh, to each their own, so whatever floats your boat brah.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
^ For a while I was wondering how you could flip your avatar.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:05 am Reply with quote
Smithart Stu wrote:
But verily you must concur with the overarcing opinion that the infantile juvenilia of Western animated pictures is incapable of holding the proverbial candle to the depth of Japanese animé.

While these comments still frustrate me somewhat, I also can't help but sigh reading them. Between having recently rewatched various American animated shows I've grown up with after several years and learning more about animation general and what makes it a craft, I'm now realizing just how narrowminded this notion is that no matter what American animation does, past, present or future, somehow it's not "good enough" compared to Japanese animation. And it's due to what I honestly find to be silly reasons and examples to compare the two regions of animation and determine what makes animation appealing.

If a show doesn't have characters announce a death threat in his/her line of dialogue, show on-screen death or brutal violence, have a plot drag on for so many episodes that you forget to provide a valid reason to have the audience be emotionally compelled to watch a character accomplish something, or show borderline nudity that serves no other purpose than to arouse a crowd of one gender, than somehow you're making poorly told animated stories? These things alone hardly represent what makes animated storytelling a fascinating craft. Rather it just tells me what your personal interests in watching a TV show is. And there's nothing wrong with liking any of those above things I mentioned above if that's your thing. But animation is more than just little things like that. Animation is about what you're visually communicating to an audience. It's about how you go about bringing life to a character's movements, personality behavior and mannerisms and how you use various principles and elements in art and even music to help the audience believe there's a story being presented revolving around these characters and be compelled to see that story.

And all of that seems like nothing if you're not consciously aware and are just watching tv shows to be passively entertained. This is why it's important for anyone who's passionate about animation to be very observant, so they can understand why some of the most appreciated animated stories out there are so... well, appreciated. Not that you don't have the right to find on-screen violence, multiple-episode plots, borderline nudity, or other on-the-surface traits from one culture of animation fascinating to you personally. But if you're honestly trying to argue this is really what makes animation appealing more than anything else, no matter whatever American animation tries to do, then I feel you're missing the point.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:46 am Reply with quote
Smithart Stu wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

- Smithart Stu

I know I should ban you for this but I just can't. I love you too much.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:27 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
DomonX2 wrote:

It just sold fourteen thousand BD sets, expensive ones too. I'd say that's quite successful for a re-release that is NOT enticing westerners with no dub or subs. Those are likely pure Japanese sales. I'm tired of this "only us westerners are coin-o-sewers of fine anime, not this Japanese rabble." It just didn't have the same perennial popularity Bebop enjoys from never being removed from broadcast here for the last decade.

Yeah, freaking Cars/Cars 2 sold more than that by like several times over and that's way younger and it's foreign anime.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12