• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica English-Dubbed Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:08 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You mean to say, whilst skimming you weren't reading posts properly, and you either ignored my follow-up post completely even though I may have had more to say about it (which I did), or you read part of my post but didn't bother to read the edit that existed for seven whole hours before you posted yourself.

I was not pseudo-moderating, I was giving some advice in a neutral (read: non-hostile) manner. You're the one who is grumpy if you snap at someone whom you ignored and then spurned his offer of some friendly and useful advice.

Oh, and it was fairly obvious that it was a case of you missing the link rather than doubting the source. Why even ask it (if only rhetorically)? But don't answer that; it's a rhetorical question itself.

If I had seen anything relevant to that statement, by you, in a later post(this does *not* include the link to that forum, which was an edit) then I wouldn't have asked the question; there wouldn't have been a reason to. But, whatever. This is the epitome of wasted space.

I do apologize if I wrongly interpreted your response as condescending. Looking back at it, I think I overreacted. And I really don't want to turn into one of those forumites. Rolling Eyes
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:10 am Reply with quote
I just re-watched the trailer three times (so that makes four times I've seen it) and I stand by my initial assertion; that this dub is adequate while not being stellar. I'm most disappointed in Homura, because she just spoiler[doesn't come across as the emotionally crippled and numbed girl that she is.] The voice behind Kyubey needs to work on their delivery quite a bit (and controlling emphasis), but I don't have too much of a problem with the actual casting. Madoka sounds fairly similar to the original performance which was pretty high-pitched itself. Madoka's parents sound fine. Heck, even her baby brother sounds good. Sayaka appears to be the closest-cast of the lot, and I think her line delivery was the best too. So props go to Sarah Williams, who is virtually a newbie at this according to the Encyclopedia. Hitomi is alright, and the teacher sounds like a generic Anime teacher but that's not a bad thing. Mami's line is a bit short but she ain't too bad, and Kyoko is a pretty good match too.

All-up, I think that the only characters whose dub voices match the originals in terms of quality are Sayaka and all of Madoka's family (but not Madoka herself). Possibly Kyoko too, but I'd need to hear more. And of course, once the actual show is released I may change my mind. But I've done as much analysis as I can from an eighty-second clip.

504NOSON2 wrote:
...(this does *not* include the link to that forum, which was an edit)...

Except the edit was around for seven hours before you posted, and I made the edit within minutes of posting. Not seeing it is no excuse.

But, you've made your peace, so I'll make mine.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:16 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You mean to say, whilst skimming you weren't reading posts properly, and you either ignored my follow-up post completely even though I may have had more to say about it (which I did), or you read part of my post but didn't bother to read the edit that existed for seven whole hours before you posted yourself.

Your source contradicts your previous statement about Madoka being the 2nd best-selling of all time and you are the one who has to point that out, not a different webpage.
redranger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Yeah, because the Japanese don't have EVERY GODDAMN GIRL sounding like she's 5

Oh wait

THEY DO

Jesus christ sub fans are the most hypocritical people I have ever metal

I know, man.
Veers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
The point wasn't that the trailer worked because people would watch it anyway, it was that the trailer worked because it informed people of the talent behind the show, and because of that they watched the show.
A good point, but again that isn't going to work for an American audience. Those names might mean something to me, but they don't to 99% of people who speak English, and I'd wager they also don't mean anything to a large portion of people who consider themselves anime fans. This trailer is only good for one thing and that's letting us get a very unrepresentative preview of the dubbing. It's not going to excite people who haven't seen the show who were looking forward to the release. It's not going even make it on the radar of people who don't know about the show, and if it ever did they're just going to dismiss it. There may be a few exceptions among those groups of people, but anyone arguing otherwise is nuts.

Kazemon15 wrote:
[trailer sounds bad blah blah] overly happy and.....fake.

GhostShell wrote:
I checked the English dubbed trailer out because I wanted to see if I'd missed anything, considering the popularity of the series. My impression from watching the trailer was that no, I hadn't.
Case in point, ladies and gentlemen.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to judge the show just yet. I really have no problem with any of the voices besides Kyuubey. I think his voice should be a little lower, but other than that I'm not going to complain. There's always at least one voice I don't like in a dub.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Your source contradicts your previous statement about Madoka being the 2nd best-selling of all time and you are the one who has to point that out, not a different webpage.

Ah. Okay, I freely admit that I forgot to consult the pre-2000 post. So PMMM is the third highest-selling Anime series of all time on a per-volume basis behind Neon Genesis Evangelion and Bakemonogatari. Or, fourth if you include the re-releases of First Gundam as being part of the total (as the list does).

Will edit my initial post on this subject to reflect the changes you have brought to my attention.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Okay now this is kind of a funny thing that I've notice across the multiple forums and websites I've visited, but it seems to me that a lot of the people who dislike the dub dislike it for completely different reasons. For instance, I have seen comments from people saying that Kyubey sounds exactly like the original Japanese actor and is the only saving grace for the dub. And then there are of course the comments which are almost the exact opposite; saying that Kyubey has the worst voice, and doesn't sound androgynous enough (which, btw, I listed to the Japanese, and if people don't notice right away that Kyubey is being voiced by a woman they need to get their hearing checked). I'm not trying to say anything in particular here, I just find it interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Oh wait

THEY DO

Also Cabanos sounds adorable in this you crazy son

In that trailer she sounds about as adorable as the voice of Scooby Doo. But who doesn't like Scooby Doo? She's an adult and sounds like a mature woman, albeit one that has been miscast. It's not her fault. There is nothing hypocritical about recognizing your native tongue being utterly faked and cringe inducing in a voice over performance. Thanks for making me laugh though Very Happy
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Oh wait

THEY DO

Also Cabanos sounds adorable in this you crazy son

In that trailer she sounds about as adorable as the voice of Scooby Doo. But who doesn't like Scooby Doo? She's an adult and sounds like a mature woman, albeit one that has been miscast. It's not her fault. There is nothing hypocritical about recognizing your native tongue being utterly faked and cringe inducing in a voice over performance. Thanks for making me laugh though Very Happy

Sorry, I don't have time for any weeabo "BAKA DESU NE" stuff right now.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
Okay now this is kind of a funny thing that I've notice across the multiple forums and websites I've visited, but it seems to me that a lot of the people who dislike the dub dislike it for completely different reasons. For instance, I have seen comments from people saying that Kyubey sounds exactly like the original Japanese actor and is the only saving grace for the dub. And then there are of course the comments which are almost the exact opposite; saying that Kyubey has the worst voice, and doesn't sound androgynous enough (which, btw, I listed to the Japanese, and if people don't notice right away that Kyubey is being voiced by a woman they need to get their hearing checked). I'm not trying to say anything in particular here, I just find it interesting.

yeah I know. The whole Kyubei not being androgynous enough argument still baffles me. Maybe people are more accepting to it because it's in a language they don't understand, but to me pitch wise, both actors were coming from the same place. The original seiyuu sounded like a woman trying to do a more androgynous voice, as does the english va.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

yeah I know. The whole Kyubei not being androgynous enough argument still baffles me. Maybe people are more accepting to it because it's in a language they don't understand, but to me pitch wise, both actors were coming from the same place. The original seiyuu sounded like a woman trying to do a more androgynous voice, as does the english va.

Yes, the original seiyuu sounds like a woman trying to do an androgynous voice, but to me, the American VA sounds like a woman... doing a girl voice. That's my only complaint. You know who does a good androgynous voice? Maxey Whitehead. In my opinion, she did a really good job as Crona in Soul Eater. Don't know that she'd be a good Kyubey, but it would be closer to the type of voice I had been expecting for him. Just my two cents. Hope that clarifies some of your confusion over the "not androgynous enough" argument.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's obviously been an... er, an interesting decision of Aniplex USA to stick to using the same old marketing guns as Aniplex of Japan did when marketing Madoka. I mean, they are having a dub for this, so surely they'd hop to draw in more people with having a dub in of itself, right? It's simultaneously both an easy and risky move-- easy in that they just had to take bits and pieces from the original Japanese marketing, and risky in that, well, this won't be as provocative of a marketing strategy as it was in Japan. At least in Japan, they had several recognizable names behind it to draw some people. "Gen Urobuchi" won't mean a thing to most Americans that consider themselves anime fans, and neither will "Akiyuki Shinbo" (whose only recent U.S.-released stuff I know off the top of my head are a slice-of-life moe-styled show and another about a loli vampire that likes going around in her birthday suit). Hell, those names didn't start meaning a thing to me until a few weeks after I started watching the show.

The thing is though.... do any fans here have an idea of what could be done for a more "proper" U.S. trailer, one that could draw in more people not into the cutesy or slice-of-life or what not? Something that does not really *spoil* the show all that much, unlike all the Madoka fan trailers and AMVs that I've seen? Something that markets the series without spoiling the entire plot like so many other trailers that come from Hollywood? Aniplex USA probably won't change its tune anytime soon, so it'd be kinda awesome to see some fan try to fill in that gap and throw in a hint(s) of something darker beneath the surface. I'd think a decent trailer would show snippets of the early witch/familiar designs, or show that there is actual, well, fighting in this series. If I had some AMV experience, I'd probably try it out, but I don't, and I wouldn't know how to start... so, you know, if any of you have the time to make a trailer or "seek out" an awesome dark-ish-yet-not-so-damn-spoilery trailer.... feel free to post it here. Perhaps it could even give the series a bit of a marketing boost, should it be posted frequently elsewhere. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
And then there are of course the comments which are almost the exact opposite; saying that Kyubey has the worst voice, and doesn't sound androgynous enough (which, btw, I listed to the Japanese, and if people don't notice right away that Kyubey is being voiced by a woman they need to get their hearing checked).

Thank you for insulting me so politely.

It's not a matter of not being able to tell the Kyubey's seiyuu was female, it's that Kyubey doesn't sound like a chirpy little girl in the original. I don't believe Kyubey will sound nearly so ominous in certain scenes with that voice. The dub actress switching to a deeper voice for those scenes isn't really the solution either, as part of the creepiness of Kyubey is that it doesn't have or understand emotions, and thus would have no reason to change tone.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Just purchased my three LE's today. Hurrah.
Dub or sub be dammed. Full steam ahead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 14