• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Off-Topic] Are you a Wapanese?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
auberginedreams

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm more of a casual fan. I get really into the story and characters of certain anime series and I'll spend a lot of time researching trivial anime info, but for the most part my fandom doesn't leave my home.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Bah, no, liking anime doesn't mean you're obsessed with the culture too, it just means you know good entertainment when you see it. Stories are stories and music is music, no matter where it comes from, it's only bad or good if you judge it to be so.
Elfen12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
I'm not... a "Wapanese". I simply watch the anime, and find the culture interesting. If there is any problem in that, please inform me. Untill then. Just because i watch anime doesn't have any correlation with the culture of its origin. Just becuase i enjoy spaghetti and shrimp scampi doesn't mean i am obsessed with the italian culture. So indeed, although i enjoy the japanese culture, anime doesn't have much to do with it. I enjoy the culture that my descent is from, and that is where i belong... well that's what i would perfer to side with, instead of the not being myself and devoting to the japanese culture.

-Elfen12-
living_puppet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote
Nope, I enjoy some of the entertainment - anime, manga, video games, and some of the music here and there (which I'm usually exposed to through anime). It doesn't really go beyond that, though. Sure, Japan has an interesting culture - and it's neat hearing the language and being able to pick up on a few words and phrases. I think it's a positive thing to be exposed to other cultures every now and then, and it doesn't mean you love your own any less.

But no I'm not interested in learning the language, or moving there, or obsessed with things just because they are Japanese. I'm pretty terrible with chopsticks in fact. Japan has a wonderful animation industry, but other countries have things to offer as well. I like British shows for example. I'm also a pretty big fan of heavy metal, so I'm used to listening to music from Europe and all over the place - and in different languages. I'm still American and proud to be so.

Speaking of metal, I see some of the same type of stereotypical "wapanese" behavior in metal fandom too. People suddenly wanting to move to Finland or learn Norwegian, or becoming obsessed with Scandinavia. I don't think that's the norm though, it just happens to be a vocal minority. It's one thing to have a genuine or academic interest in something, but I do think it should be for the right reasons - and not just because you love one aspect of the culture.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
living_puppet wrote:
Speaking of metal, I see some of the same type of stereotypical "wapanese" behavior in metal fandom too. People suddenly wanting to move to Finland or learn Norwegian, or becoming obsessed with Scandinavia.

Ja, ør dey jüst vrite like zis, bekøz dey tink dat is "Skandinavian" enøf.

- äbünäi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
living_puppet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

- äbünäi

Oh that just makes them more kvlt. Wink

Actually, I think you can probably find some of this same behavior in many different fandoms, when people become obsessive for superficial reasons. But then again, these are often the same types that move on when the next fad comes around.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say so. I've studied other world cultures and I like them just as much as I do Japanese culture.
Servant of the Path

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
living_puppet wrote:
abunai wrote:

- äbünäi

Oh that just makes them more kvlt. Wink

Actually, I think you can probably find some of this same behavior in many different fandoms, when people become obsessive for superficial reasons. But then again, these are often the same types that move on when the next fad comes around.

I've just had a severe Metalocalypse flashback. Aside from that I'm glad that someone here made this point as it really doesn't seem all that different to me than the fandom that is often exhibited for Star Wars or Star Trek.

By the way, did anyone else notice that we've been necro-posting this thread? Surprised
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Servant of the Path wrote:
I'm glad that someone here made this point as it really doesn't seem all that different to me than the fandom that is often exhibited for Star Wars or Star Trek.

Fandom is fandom, in all its obsessive-compulsive glory. The object of the fandom is less important than the actual act of "fanning". (Looky looky, I verbed a noun -- more than that, I gerunded it...)

Servant of the Path wrote:
By the way, did anyone else notice that we've been necro-posting this thread? Surprised

I noticed, yes, and I was in fact just about to lock the thread, when living_puppet went and said something worthwhile. Humph.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9