• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:26 pm Reply with quote
There might be a way to make Krang-Geto more interesting.

Make it so that the whole Shinjuku incident and Gojo trap was Geto's plan, and Geto had a contract with Krang earlier, part stipulation was that Krang could have his body if he failed and died prior to carrying it out.

Essentially, we'd need even more flashbacks. Also what happened to all of Geto's followers from 0? We know one of them switched and took Yuta to his country.

And can Yuta also mimic all of Gojo's abilities in at least a limited way?
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Huh. So Geto really did die in 0. Alright, but it is weird to devote a whole arc to fleshing him out and then immediately go, "jk, he's dead lol." To be fair, the Hidden Inventory arc was as much about developing Gojo as it was Geto, but what made it interesting was their relationship, and now we'll never see any more of that. It's an odd, risky writing choice. Let's see where it goes.

One interesting thing is how this twist completely recontextualizes most of Geto and Gojo's appearances so far. There's no longer any question as to whether or not Gojo was capable of killing his former friend. This also actually makes Geto's actions in the timeframe of the TV series make a LOT more sense. In 0, he assembled a group of rogue human sorcerers as his team. In the TV anime he's rejected human allies and built a team made up completely of cursed spirits (except for that death painting guy, but he's a special case.) Why would he side with curses if his the whole point of his non-sorcerer genocide plan was to eradicate curses? Well, now we know: he's been a curse himself this whole time. Now the change in his tactics feels like foreshadowing, so kudos to Akutami for that.

Geto was seriously a fantastic villain, though. Let's hope this swerve was worth it.

Quote:
The episode starts off with a faux-documentary series of interviews with all of the other Jujutsu Sorcerers, who all evaluate Gojo

The moment that happened I thought, "oh no, he's DOOMED."

Quote:
only to slaughter a full thousand cursed humans in the span of a mere 0.2 seconds

Okay, this is nitpicking, but I'm pretty sure what happened was that Gojo used his Infinite Domain for 0.2 seconds, then proceeded to kill the mutants while they were all stunned from the effect, which took a good deal longer (presumably about as long as it took to depict it onscreen.) The narrator mentioned that this was a considerable risk because one of the curse spirits could have shaken the effect off before Gojo was done, but that wouldn't have been an issue if Gojo's whole killing spree had taken only 0.2 seconds.

Anyway, how great was that whole sequence? The choice of using freestyle, disorderly jazz music for the whole thing was inspired.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I would love to know how come "Geto" manages to make 0 efforts to hide his existence with public appearances

Until Shibuya, all his public appearances took place before the real Geto's death. The only time Fake Geto showed up in public where he might have been documented was when he killed everyone at that burger place, and for obvious reasons there are no witnesses to that. Given his level of power he would have been able to destroy any security cameras effortlessly.

By "Public appearances" I mean just casually entering a McDonalds and burning everybody alive with no witnesses nor security cameras seeing him.

It's quite obvious that he just walks around the city constantly, as seen on various scenes like the one in the park playing with soap bubbles.

Must I believe that no member of the organization ever saw him nor his curses walking around in all those years while making 0 effort to conceal himself?

I began watching this thing because I thought it would be somehow smart, seeing how characters analyze each other during fights, but, looks like I was mistaken.

I will grant it a couple more of episodes, if it doesn't improve I will just name it Bleach 1.1 and then I will just keep watching for the pixels.

Watching this next to Bungo Stray Dogs, it's such a downgrade... and Bungo's characters are actually not that smart.

Last edited by Minos_Kurumada on Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:36 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
And can Yuta also mimic all of Gojo's abilities in at least a limited way?

My understanding is that Yuta could technically try and mimic Limitless but he can't mimic Gojo's Six Eyes, as that's more of an innate trait than a technique.

This is important, as it's only thanks to all the extra sensory information and ultra fine energy control provided by Six Eyes that Gojo is able to use Limitless in the absurdly powerful ways that he does.
Guy Tizio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:29 am Reply with quote
[quote="Minos_Kurumada"]
Wyvern wrote:

Must I believe that no member of the organization ever saw him nor his curses walking around in all those years while making 0 effort to conceal himself?

Sorcerers are not omniscient and are not everywhere.

The impostor clearly says that he absolutely cannot be seen by people associated with schools for sorcerers, so I assume he is careful enough to avoid areas where sorcerers hang out.

Then, as mentioned, he could also have contacts at higher ups, who would help erase any evidence.
ShadowC0N1012

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:49 pm Reply with quote
“Nanamiiiiiiin!!!”

That part was cute, especially when I was reminded who Nanami is lol. As someone before me and the reviewer has said, there are quite a bit of characters, so it can be tricky to keep up with all of them. Now there’s about to be a huge showdown with all of them, sorcerers and baddies.

As for the first few episodes of this arc being underwhelming, I think it’s about to start getting a hell of a lot crazier. From a coworker who has read the manga, this arc left them shook. So, I just say, let’s be patient.
Kirki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading what the reviewer is saying so far and my only thoughts are "My sweet summer child!" But he's not wrong though in what he's sayin so far. We got a boring lockust monster episode. Then an amazing Gojo episode. (The twist with Geto might seem unnecessary, but I'm guessing that this will sit much better with someone who will binge the show instead of waiting for droplets like we do) Then another transitional episode. Honestly I don't think that there is anything in this latest episode othen than setup. When will the cylinders fire away is my question as well. Let's hope for next week.
L0ken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Controversial opinion, but while the main meat and emotional beats of Shibuya arc hasn't started, based on what was adapted I find myself enjoying the arc and it's narrative in manga format more then in anime one (excluding first 2 episodes with Mechamaru, anime did it better for me). Execution of important moments, direction and animation feels surprisingly less consistent and sometimes even off compared to my expectation based on previous material adapted. The answer for a bit underwhelming execution may be recent news of mysterious NDA asking directors and animators on JJK to not talk about the production state of the overall show and earlier this morning numerous animators talked about the bad schedule, the terrible working enviroment, the low pay, and the threat of being silenced by the studio. I kinda felt that some "soul" was missing in the recent episodes and it kinda makes me scared for rest of the arc quality, would be shocking if most anticipated JJK arc ends up being underwhelming or messy in anime adaptation.
River24

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:18 pm Reply with quote
L0ken wrote:
Controversial opinion, but while the main meat and emotional beats of Shibuya arc hasn't started, based on what was adapted I find myself enjoying the arc and it's narrative in manga format more then in anime one (excluding first 2 episodes with Mechamaru, anime did it better for me). Execution of important moments, direction and animation feels surprisingly less consistent and sometimes even off compared to my expectation based on previous material adapted. The answer for a bit underwhelming execution may be recent news of mysterious NDA asking directors and animators on JJK to not talk about the production state of the overall show and earlier this morning numerous animators talked about the bad schedule, the terrible working enviroment, the low pay, and the threat of being silenced by the studio. I kinda felt that some "soul" was missing in the recent episodes and it kinda makes me scared for rest of the arc quality, would be shocking if most anticipated JJK arc ends up being underwhelming or messy in anime adaptation.

The only episode where they have missed is with episode 8 (grasshopper fight) But for the rest, the adaptation has been nearly perfect imo. Episode 9 is considered one of the best episodes in the whole series, and this one despite being a more tame episode was really well done aswell. I know that there are issues behind the scenes regarding MAPPA, but even then they have still managed to pull it off. Also this is not only a problem exclusive of MAPPA, the whole industry has been like this for a while.

The only reason for why some people may be somewhat impatient is because of the weekly nature and that all of this was about setting up the stage, not to mention the amount of manga readers constantly gassing things up which only boost that impatience.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Things are getting interesting. Knowing that some part of Geto is still around makes up for the Krang reveal and also I got my answer to the question about what happened to the rest of Geto's crew - Those two girls are still around and pissed off!

Mechamaru seems indeed to be dead, so is this something like his spirit, or an AI copy? I'm guessing that other than Itadori, he might also trust Miwa and Todo, and is probably also in contact with Todo and is sending him to brother Yuji's way. He probably won't risk sending Miwa there, but I think she'll show up regardless. He trusted Yuji because he was new, he also loves Miwa and he probably figures Todo was trustworthy because Todo is too dumb to be a spy.

Sure this episode was a bit of a down curve compared to the last, but hey, there are gonna be some of these in between the good stuff. Probably this could be one of those seasons that are better binged compared to week to week. But I have faith! Probably better to front load the exposition and then with that out of the way, go balls to the wall.
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm starting to feel just a little underwhelmed by this storyline.

And you’ll soon see why I almost dropped the manga because of this arc. It’s ridiculously long and boring in spots.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:49 am Reply with quote
For me, what's felt like a let down for the last few episodes isn't that there's a lot of exposition, but how it keeps getting dragged out through the dialogue. During the fight with Gojo it took the form of those intrusive flashbacks that went on just long enough to break up the tension of the fight. Here, it's in the form of characters having these really dry conversations as they slowly explain stuff to the audience, but keep injecting interruptions and humor to make it seem like that's not what they're doing. A little of that is fine, and a lot of this info is likely necessary, but it makes each episode feel slower than they are, and less eventful.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:14 am Reply with quote
Yeee listen, I can appreciate and understand manga bros were excited to get more of the manga animated but I think this is 100% a case of overhype for, what seems to be a transitional arc in this series that isn’t that good at all stand-alone. And there are soooo many rando side characters we don’t give a lick about aha, maybe some of them will end up being super cool and super important, especially now that Gojo is out, but this is an absolutely terrible first impression.
Especially when you remove Gojo, effectively remove Geto, and then split up the main 3 leads so they can’t even bounce off of each other for fun banter. That’s all of the best strengths of the show so far thrown away, for a transitional plot at best and the introduction of dozens of goofy, and so far mostly uninteresting side characters.

Also yeah the Locust Curse episode was so whack, especially animation wise. Far below the standard of what this series is known for, and honestly a big part of the appeal of this series is how good the animation and direction is, so I worry for it if it starts to falter there. Ain’t no one watching it for all the exposition scenes.
Guy Tizio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:59 am Reply with quote
My goodness, how complaining you are.

And they beat each other up "What a drag, only fights and blows, never a plot advance"

And if they talk "What a drag, where are the fights?"

The controversy over the characters is ridiculous. You don't know them, okay, then? Does there have to be an identikit attached? Some have been introduced in the past, others will be introduced in the future, be patient.

About the last episode, I really don't understand the complaints.

Ok, there's no action (apart from Yuji) so what? We saw her last episode.

The characters speak. So ? What should they do, keep quiet?

An epochal event has just happened (the strongest sorcerer in the world neutralized), it is obvious that time is spent to see the consequences on the various characters.
River24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:06 am Reply with quote
Jesus, i really cant imagine some people on here watching arcs like Chimera Ant or Greed Island from Hunter x Hunter when it was airing weekly, and thats a series with even more exposition than JJK. let alone any major arc from One Piece (even in manga), because i can already see some wanting to kill themselves lol. This is nothing compared to that.

Because man, it seems some people in here really arent built for weekly battle shonen if they struggle with something like this lmao
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:31 am Reply with quote
I have been thinking for a while, and I think the problem here it's the lack of urgency.

Everybody is just walking around and talking really calm or saying irrelevant stuff to waste time.

Worst of all, the super intincrate plan of the baddies to seal Gojo its 100% enterally dependant on this lack of urgency, had Gojo be faster, had Itadori be faster, had they not walked around, cracked jokes or being melodramatic everything would have failed.

To this day I still don't get the order Gojo attacked his assailants. Why the close combat one and not the long distant one?

No idea, he never gives a reason, besides the fact that had he attacked the sniper guy everything would have been finished earlier.

Did we really needed an irrelevant explanation of why would it be bad for Gojo to die?

No, we didn't, but we had 2 extra minutes in the episode and we can't used them to say something relevant, because that would be interesting.

We should have various characters doing plans, making deductions, and taking logical steps, exposition should interesting and smart, risk should be calculated and taken because there is no time to waste, this is a desespérate situation with thousands of lives in the live and it feels they are hickings.

I feel the author read HXH or HeroAca and said "I can make a multi team assault too!", no, you can't, you are in the Dragon Ball or Bleach ballpark, stay in there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 58