• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:18 am Reply with quote
That's interesting. I don't remember reading that Pandora had impersonated Ainz in the first half of the meeting. Might have missed it. But in the anime at least it would make sense seeing how out of character his voice modulation was. Speaking of things I don't remember reading, Tsuare getting her greek letter name is an anime original right?

That been said I will be blunt, this episode was rushed as all hell. It makes me wonder if it was a planned decision, and the direction knew how awkward it would feel and still decided to go on with it for the greater good of the series hoping that we hand waved it once the juicier parts of the story pick up again
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 am Reply with quote
I haven't read it, but I'm going to lay some blame on the LN here for all this exposition turning into an endless tease. That said, even if it was written this way, they SHOULD have done some of Climb's or Renner's story "in flashback" or something. If I think about it intellectually, the information is important and even interesting. But I can't enjoy it or even FIND it interesting because it's all just getting in the way of the "Sebas beatdown" that we've all been waiting for for half the season now. If they re-ordered it so that we get the payoff of Sebas beating up people that need beating it wouldn't be so painful sitting through Climb's struggles. (Also, Princess Renner's efforts would be more interesting if we had more context or stakes for what she's doing. Right now I can't get into that either simply because it feels so disconnected. I feel like the way she's done right now makes it impossible to tell if we should be rooting FOR or AGAINST her, and her specific plots seem trivial in relation to the main Nazarick thread (ie. Either their gonna take out the underworld organization, or they're gonna take over the Kingdom (maybe both) in which case everything discussed in her meeting is basically moot))
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
Based on anime content only (I haven't read this far into the novels and probably won't), I thought ambiguity about whether or not we should be rooting for Renner was kinda the point.

The clarification that the first Ains was actually Pandora's Actor is welcome, as him teleporting back to Nazarick and then returning and his conversation with Demiurge after doing so now makes a lot more sense. (I also did think the handkerchief thing was a little out of character.) The anime not making that clearer is a minor failing. I also missed the detail about the flags at the end; I felt that had some importance, but couldn't place it.

Who Tuare's sister was is alluded to enough in the anime to figure that out, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Based on anime content only (I haven't read this far into the novels and probably won't), I thought ambiguity about whether or not we should be rooting for Renner was kinda the point.

The clarification that the first Ains was actually Pandora's Actor is welcome, as him teleporting back to Nazarick and then returning and his conversation with Demiurge after doing so now makes a lot more sense. (I also did think the handkerchief thing was a little out of character.) The anime not making that clearer is a minor failing. I also missed the detail about the flags at the end; I felt that had some importance, but couldn't place it.

Yea, that is why I made my clarification post (which always seems to end up at the very end of the previous page) as the anime shows the scenes described in the novel but doesn't explain the meaning behind those scenes, as is narrated in the novel. I figured people would misunderstand what Albedo was talking about (As the reviewer did) at the end since it doesn't explain the context behind her final statement.

This has actually been pretty consistent throughout both seasons of the anime, which is understandable since they need to keep events rolling, but a lot of details are left out as a result. For example there are several pages in the novel describing the "midnight" spell that Ainz uses in his fight with Shalltear (the clock that appeared behind him and destroyed everything around him when he was fighting her and her clone artifact). It's a spell unique to Ainz's class of Eclipse that he only achieved by only leveling up as a necromancer instead of multiclassing like most players, and it's basically a secret of his because almost no one does that because it's not considered a powerful character build in the game (and those few that have achieved it don't broadcast that information). As a result he gained a hidden class and a powerful spell that allows him to instantly kill everything around him in something like a 100 meter radius, even the soil (which is why they were surrounded by sand after it went off). It bypasses all resistances and protection as well and sort of his ultimate trump card. The only reason Shalltear survived is she had been given an auto-resurrect item by her creator. It's a really descriptive passage describing just how powerful it is, but in the anime it was just a clock ticking down with something powerful happened as a result.
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The clarification that the first Ains was actually Pandora's Actor is welcome, as him teleporting back to Nazarick and then returning and his conversation with Demiurge after doing so now makes a lot more sense. (I also did think the handkerchief thing was a little out of character.) The anime not making that clearer is a minor failing.

Nah, I just reread the YP book and there were no overt hints there either, so I think it was supposed to be more of an Easter egg for fans paying attention more than anything else. The same way Demiurge's "farm" hasn't really been explicitly described yet either.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:39 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Nah, I just reread the YP book and there were no overt hints there either, so I think it was supposed to be more of an Easter egg for fans paying attention more than anything else. The same way Demiurge's "farm" hasn't really been explicitly described yet either.

Given Sebas' apprehension about Tuare being sent there, I'm already assuming that "sheep" isn't being used literally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10 was another intriguing episode. I’m with Key in that the ambiguity with Renner was intended and the point. Seeing her say those lines reminiscent of Yanderes was interesting and a little unexpected for me to see from the last two episodes. I’m also not getting a rushed feeling at all from the episode. If anything, it was paced a tad slow. All the events so far displayed, while could have been paced better, are all still interesting on their own right even with some cut content to have it still be engaging and has me curious to see what will happen next. I wonder if a season 3 will be possible for this series. It would be nice if it was.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
myskaros wrote:

Given Sebas' apprehension about Tuare being sent there, I'm already assuming that "sheep" isn't being used literally.

It's almost certainly not sheep, although it wasn't explicitly explained it's heavily implied. Demiurge just calls them that because he thinks its a joke that Ainz is in on, while Ainz literally thinks they are bipedal sheep.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

As I said, I'm gonna lay some blame on the LN, since I agree that it is entirely the point. But this is something that I think "reads" better than it watches. Or maybe this will be an arc to lend support to Netflix's "binge watching" model. Again, if one can zoom through to Sebas clearing things out, then it's not as frustrating spending time watching Climb (and to a lesser extent Renner). I don't consider this unique to Overlord either. I LOVE Log Horizon, it is frankly one of my all time favorites, but it also has "world building" parts that leave you thinking "just get past all this and get back to the GOOD stuff. Climb gets really, REALLY boring when we're spending LITERAL weeks on him while constantly teasing that something is going to happen with Sebas. Heck, it took them like 3 weeks to finally have Ainz show up after Solution contacted him the first time. I'm sure that follows the book, but the political intrigue is too clumsy (and as I said, pretty insignificant regarding the CURRENT players) to carry the show.

EDIT:
Quote:
If her brother's smart, he'll go out of his way to make sure she stays happy

Actually, if he was SMART, her brother should try to kill her ASAP. She's clearly more devious than him and pretty believably more vindictive.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(I also did think the handkerchief thing was a little out of character.)

Also the little pirouette he did before casting greater teleport is something Ainz would *never* do. Last but not least, Pandora's Actor transformation lacked the red orbs of light in his eye sockets.

HeeroTX wrote:
Actually, if he was SMART, her brother should try to kill her ASAP. She's clearly more devious than him and pretty believably more vindictive.

Chances are she would notice (noble assasination is nothing new and is to be expected), foil the attempt and retaliate.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:

Chances are she would notice (noble assasination is nothing new and is to be expected), foil the attempt and retaliate.

I agree, but odds are she's gonna do it eventually anyway. Climb already heard them badmouthing her previously, and he's clearly NOT someone who is skilled at intrigue so odds are she has (or will) find out through him eventually.
Nojay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

Monster-Renner would get her retaliation in first. However he is useful to her, or he might be in the future. She can have him killed later, if necessary.
Nojay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
[quote="mangamuscle"]
Key wrote:
(I also did think the handkerchief thing was a little out of character.)

The deal with the handkerchief was more elaborate in the light novel --"Ainz" reassured Sebas that it was not stained with his protege's blood.

The big giveaway in the anime was that Pandoras Actor's voice started to go chuuni at one point, when he says "Sebas, are you a dog that obeys the Supreme One -- that obeys the 41?" harking back to his first introduction in the first series.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Ep 11,

YES! I've been waiting for the Entoma fight all season, I honestly didn't think they would get to it this episode (I figured they would finish up the rescue mission first) but it was great. It's actually pretty rare to see and of Nazarick's named forces fight in this series simply due to how strong they are. The fact that it took half of one of the strongest hero teams in the kingdom to take down a single maid (and mostly because they had a magic user with a spell that specifically targets Entoma's weakness) shows the huge disparity in power. I also just love to see the different methods of fighting that each character from Nazarick have. That and Entoma's struggle to maintain her cute and refined facade while holding back her true personality and form.

spoiler[What's funny about the 6 arms in the novel is that they each get a paragraph describing their abilities and how they are elite warriors and stuff, the undead lich (the guy calling himself the undead king) actually gets a mini story arc describing how he rose as an undead and gained sentience and managed to gain power in human society and dreamed of becoming an undead overlord. Then they all promptly get one shot by sebas. That and the woman marley captured, one of the eight fingers, tried to use a hidden skill she had (I think it was her snake tattoo that could poison people) on Marley but it of course failed. Granted those were all minor things and I can see that they skipped them in the interest of time, but it was pretty humorous to get backstory on villains just before they get squashed.

So, now we're smoothly transitioning into the second half of this arc, I assume next week will wrap up the rescue, then we move on to operation Gehenna.]

Edit: Use spoiler tags when talking about source material so you do not spoil the show for others. ~ Psycho 101
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Sebas needs to learna bit of showmanship from his peers. I mean Naberal Gamma let the one guy honestly believe he could win for a little while, and then used a teleport just to "show off" before killing him, and she straight up hates humans. Laughing Also, while the Entoma v Blue Rose fight was pretty cool, I'm a little disappointed that the trio v Entoma was "off screen". But definitely looking forward to the bit of theater that comes next.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 15