• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Beansprout Midget wrote:

703X: As someone who has participated in quiz bowls, seeing this happen is awesome. As long as it stays away from the underwear jokes, I'll be looking forward to seeing this. I had no idea the girl character was voiced by an idol, though. Her performance was noticeably off, but I had no idea it was an idol. Will watch, may drop.

I was curious about this. Just finished watching the first episode (it was OK), and couldn't help but focus on her voice. I dont know much about the Japanese language, but her enunciation just seemed strange to me. Not bad, but very noticeable. I wouldn't consider it a problem though.
BethanyP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I thought Fastest Finger First was ok, in a by the numbers kind of way, but - stop touching your blasted glasses! If it was supposed to be funny, the joke wore thin. If it was supposed to be dramatic, it just looked ridiculous
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
It's a real shame Netsuzou Trap is a short which mean no separate entry for the reviewers and audience star ratings. Because god, episode 1 is a flaming trainwreck of a yuri premise (and unfortunate implications all around) with utterly butt production values! Anime hyper
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the previous seasons but I liked the first episode of Saiyuki Reload Burst. It didn't seem inaccessible to those unfamiliar with the prior seasons like myself and was an enjoyable enough adventure. I'll probably watch the previous seasons before the end of this season.

I was going to check out Dive, but considering the meh at best reviews, I think I will pass for now and see if it improves. I did like Free but that had more to it than just boys in swimsuits. I guess fans looking for the next Free can just watch the films that have come out this year and this fall's sequel film.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Netsuzou Trap is very, hmm, I think "trashy" is too good a word for it. Very much sexual assault.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Hina Logic - Cute girls and slice of life. So far it seems reasonably good though I wish that it was more of an action series.

Fox Spirit Matchmaker - Chinese Inuyasha is not as good as the original Inuyasha. It is better than most Chinese productions but they throw so much into the first episode that the plot is hard to follow.

Knight's & Magic - A cheerful protagonist making friends and saving the world. The story may not be that original but I like it.

Restaurant to Another World - I usually don't care for restaurant shows but this one has interesting characters and a nice fantasy setting. I am cautiously optimistic.

Fastest Finger First - A quiz show might be fun but a panty shot is one of the main plot points of the first episode. I have no problem with ecchi humor but it seems out of place for a quiz show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
It felt to me like Dive!! was trying its damedest to not be the next Free!, as far as the fan service goes. Though unavoidable in long shots, the classic tilt and pedestal up-the-body shots always began at the waist or higher, studiously avoiding any anatomy below that. Free! generally ran those tilts from at least the knees, sometimes toes, but always got in the crotch and butt shots. Smile

That aside, I'm not sure how they could have made it more boring, except for maybe making us sit through more of his girlfriend's inane prattle. No, it's not the pain from falling that makes you want to vomit, it's listening to her yammer on about frikken pancakes. I hope the new coach is good because every other female we've seen so far needs to be banished to a deserted island, and they can take the little gossipmonger with them.

There's still hope for this, but the focus really needs to change (and I don't mean more fan service). Also someone needs to realize the value of slow motion.

Nick reviewing Saiyuki Reload Blast wrote:
I appreciated how the four leads already have a solid existing rapport, but didn't find myself all that impressed with their actual personalities, which all seemed to stick to very well-worn archetypes.

I'm not sure what you expected. The franchise has been around for 20 years. Did you expect them to change up the characters now? oO Anyway, it's good to have the boys back in action.

Since I check out nearly everything, especially if they're shorts, I watched Netsuzou Trap and that one about the cross-dressing guy that was apparently produced by the South Carolina legislature as a propaganda tool. Both were pretty unwatchable, but I guess if lesbian ntr is your kink, you could do worse than Trap. But this side of outright hentai, I don't think you could do a lot worse than Monster Under the Skirt or whatever it's called.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
I watched Netsuzou Trap - which, aside from the off-putting title, the premise rather intrigued me. However, I wasn't expecting all the sexual assault. Yikes.

Also watched Tsuredere Children (Which I kept reading as Tsundere Children) and that was cute. I guess. Didn't feel a huge need to keep watching but it was endearing enough. Perhaps if I didn't have so much on my plate to watch to begin with.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yep, Quick Draw McGraw, that's me.

They have pills for that now. Wink

I've missed most of the past 2 "seasons" for various reasons. I am determined to at least watch Saiyuki Blast & Restaurant to Another World this season.
#Roguebubble

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:33 am Reply with quote
Quick roundup of what I've seen so far in order of what I liked.

Fate/Apocrypha: The opening battle was definitely cool and the premise of a 7v7 grail war means we'll probably get a lot more of those. I will admit that I'm already rooting for Mordred despite her few scenes. If F/GO was available in the UK I'd have probably wasted a lot of time and money by now.

Kakegurui: You can tell a lot of effort is going into those faces. The scenario lends itself well to tense dramatic moments and Saori Hayami performance is simply superb. I wonder if there'll be a larger plotline or if it'll end just being a series of different high stake games as she climbs the school ladder to reach the student council president. I'm fine with either as Yumeko looks like she'll be a fun protagonist to watch.

Restaurant to Another World looks like a nice relaxing SOL food series with a slight fantasy twist. One of the best looking series so far and I enjoyed the interactions between the characters and want to see more.

Katsugeki! Touken Ranbu looks as well as you would expect from a ufotable production and so far the characters have been likable enough. I'm slightly worried as it's a non-Nasuverse ufotable anime which have tended to be a letdown in the story department and it being a mobile game adaptation doesn't inspire much confidence. I may just end up staying for the cool fights but hopefully there'll be more to the show.

Tsuredure Children and Aho girl were both enjoyable shorts. I prefer Tsuredure and want to see more of the cute couples the show. I laughed at most of Aho girl but I can see that it's not for everyone. I wonder the rise of 10 min shorts means that a Tomo-chan anime is closer than I thought it would be.

Knights & Magic had a packed first episode but I'm still on the fence about it. Ernie kinda annoyed me as his unbridled excitement felt at odds with the more serious setting what with coach drivers being eaten and highschoolers panicking. I also don't see what the reincarnation aspect adds except to give an excuse for why he's so good at magic. It just like a dull solution to a problem that shouldn't be there. But the mecha part looks good and I might just stick for that part if I'm lacking shows this season.

Youkai Apartment has some likable characters and I do like youkai related anime but the presentation is so flat that I don't see the point of watching this over reading the manga or LN.

703X The concept of the show is solid enough. Quizzes are naturally tense and can lead to dramatic moments but the rest of the show holds it back. The stock protagonist personality, the tiresome jokes and the female lead voice felt very off.

Aoyama-kun wasn't that interesting. The comedy was more miss than hit and jokes like the opposition captain abs were driven into the ground. Aoyama ability to basically take a whole team on solo undermined the sports side of the show. It is trying to be two things and is failing at both.

DIVE!! Boring characters and poor presentation really let this show down. Maybe the new coach and the other guy in the ED can inject some life into the show but I don't know if it'll be enough. If this show is aimed at you I can't see why you would watch it over rewatching Free! or Yuri on Ice.

I'm not touching Netsuzou TRap with a 10 foot barge pole and will watch Love and Lies after more shows are on HIDIVE.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:17 am Reply with quote
#Roguebubble wrote:
Quick roundup of what I've seen so far in order of what I liked.

Fate/Apocrypha: The opening battle was definitely cool and the premise of a 7v7 grail war means we'll probably get a lot more of those. I will admit that I'm already rooting for Mordred despite her few scenes. If F/GO was available in the UK I'd have probably wasted a lot of time and money by now

Use either QooApp or APKpure. I'm in Europe and i'm playing both the JP and the NA. Neutral
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote
Six days into the new season, and things look bleak like I anticipated. The only things that have worked for me a little are Knight's and Magic and Love and Lies, but in a strong season I would never follow shows of that quality.

I am having trouble finding 3 new shows to go along with New Game and my three carryovers from Spring.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Six days into the new season, and things look bleak like I anticipated. The only things that have worked for me a little are Knight's and Magic and Love and Lies, but in a strong season I would never follow shows of that quality.

I am having trouble finding 3 new shows to go along with New Game and my three carryovers from Spring.

Tomorrow has some more promising titles, provided you find Amazon amenable or choose other options: Altair, Made in Abyss, and Vatican Miracle Examiner. 18if also premieres Friday as well
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
Remember, this season's premieres are more spread out than the last few have been. Some of the most anticipated shows, the Welcome to the Ballroom, haven't come out yet. I still think it'll be a weaker season than Spring, but Abyss, Ballroom, Scooby Doo at the Vatican, Chronos Ruler, the *other* time related show, Reincarnated with a Smartphone, Centaur Girls do Life, Not Our Near Eastern History, but Close Enough (Altair), Not Our European History, but close enough with spy girls (Princess Principle), the one about the sick girl (Clione), Gamers!!, the one about the girls who eat box lunches with their boyfriends (Konbini Kareshi), Stan Lee writes an anime (again!) (The Reflection) you get the idea--they're all premiering over the wkend or next week, so there's more to come!
Shaterri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually a little surprised by all the love for Restaurant to Another World. It was at the top of my list for this season going in - I love sweet slice of life/'healing' shows, urban fantasy, and cooking stuff - but the first episode just left me resoundingly disappointed. It was harmless, it was sweet enough, the food looked good... but it was just so bland. All of the characters feel like empty ciphers (the proprietor) or by-the-numbers takes on stock archetypes (the dragoness, the closest thing to an interesting character the show's had so far). There wasn't any charm to the show, there wasn't any quirk, there wasn't any real hint of conflict (the opening 'brawl' certainly doesn't count); there just wasn't any there there. I'd probably give it a 2 - I don't regret watching the first episode but I just didn't see anything about the show that I'll remember by the end of the season, much less a couple of years from now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 35