• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which Anime Made You Cry?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I've cried a few times to anime, but the two shows that have a special place in my heart for making me cry more than once during the course of the show was Clannad and Cowboy Bebop.

If you read the article then you know what two moments are the clear tear jerker moments in Clannad, but for Cowboy bebop it was when spoiler[Ed leaves the Bebop crew and the ending when Spike says his last word, "Bang." and collapses and we get one of the best ending songs ever put in an anime "Blue" by Yoko Kanno and The Seatbelts while the camera rises into the blue yonder.]
TG72

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'll share my go-to answer.

Toward the end of Figure 17, the two leads have a brutally honest, moving conversation about a certain event and how they feel about each other. It gets to me every time, and the show's end credits give the scene even more weight.

My two cents on Clannad: There are a lot of tear-inducing moments, but the one that really got to me was Tomoya's spoiler[reconcilation with his father.]. When the story began, it looked like that moment would never happen. Realizing his own flaws and spoiler[recognizing his father's sacrifices]showed some real growth and played out more realistically than anything else in the show.
motormind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Air. Just ... Air.

Goal!
D-Rock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Anohana made me shed so many tears.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
God it feels like every anime makes me cry lately, but notably

Terror in Resonance: spoiler[When Twelve was shot. I knew it was coming, but that didn't make it hurt any less.]
Bakuman: spoiler[The finale. Mashiro and Takagi finally realize their dreams and Mashiro runs off to marry Asahi. Happy tears.]
Welcome to the NHK: spoiler[When Kaoru left.]

Time of Eve
Tiger and Bunny
Osomatsu-san even got me welled up a bit spoiler[("Jyushimatsu Finds Love")]
BakuformerAnime

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Akame Ga Kill, Anyone?
And Little Women. Yup. There's a lot of anime with feels.
wastrel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'll share my go-to answer.

Toward the end of Figure 17, the two leads have a brutally honest, moving conversation about a certain event and how they feel about each other. It gets to me every time, and the show's end credits give the scene even more weight.

I was coming into the thread to post precisely this. Figure 17 is the only anime that I can't listen to any of the soundtrack (outside of watching it again, that is). The music takes me right back to that.
Perlita of Fairy Tail

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
To be honest, every anime makes me cry. I'm a really emotional person so whether a scene is positive or negative, I'll end up dropping some tears depending on how touching it is. But there is only one anime that really messed me up and got an endless stream of tears and that was Clannad: Afterstory. The only reason why it hit me hard was that it hit spots where it's personal because the situation with Ushio and Tomoya is something that's extremely relevant to my life and the fact that it was depressingly relatable made it so much worse for me. But I was able to feel a lot better because my mom walked in on me having my breakdown during spoiler[the death of Nagisa]. Anime hyper but there was also the scene with spoiler[Ushio and Tomoya during their little trip and Ushio quoted, "The only places to cry are in the bathroom...and in Daddy's arms."]This was the part that hit me the most and just typing this alone is starting to tear me up. Even when I listen to the soundtrack, I'm hit with deep feels.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
BakuformerAnime wrote:

And Little Women. Yup. There's a lot of anime with feels.

There's a Little Women anime? Shocked Man, I just finished re-reading the book. I gotta' check this out!
Night fox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
Maria-sama s4: spoiler[When Touko finally falls apart], following her extended build-up of self-destructive behaviour throughout much of the season.

Claymore: The bonding of spoiler[Teresa and Clare] was intense, right up to the climactic final.

Great Teacher Onizuka: Ep.10, when Onizuka tries his best to encourage the bullied and somewhat slow Tomoko. I mostly tear up because he cares so much about his students and in this episode lives up to his self-proclaimed "great teacher" status.

Kimi ni Todoke: Ep.6, when Sawako is accused of spreading rumors about Ayane and Chizuru, resulting in a big confrontation. That scene defines what friendship should be like.

Others have already mentioned series like Clannad+After Story, Angel Beats! and Madoka Magica, in which tragedy is a recurring theme throughout the show, so I won't go into details there. Suffice to say, be sure to have tissues at hand when watching these shows.
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:56 am Reply with quote
Not sure you realize what you are asking here....
I saw a great many that got me teary eyed or a decent cry. But only Gunslinger Girl really shreds me (maybe because I have watched it so many times and so the tension builds knowing..) But also not just the below final episode, it is the only show where I full on sob while watching 4-5 of the episodes of a 12 episode cour!

Nojay wrote:
the final episode of Gunslinger Girl (there never was a second series of Gunslinger Girl, OK?)

Actually surprised that when i started reading this thread there were 130 comments and this is the only reference to GG
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
I just felt more like saying personally I'm sick of shows trying to make people cry and like that's the holy grail of good drama and depiction of life and the human condition according to standards of Japanese entertainment. It feels like so many of the so called acclaimed shows have this angle and frankly it's wearisome at this point. There are other way to tell a good dramatic story or have emotional content to something, I just wish Japan would remember that more as would the general fanbase at large.

Anyway no anime has ever made me cry or bawl my eyes out, just not that kind of viewer who is ever that emotional over anything really and do not like the feeling that a show is trying to manipulate me into cryin at all. Really it's one of the things that takes me out of a show really fast more than anything. All that said I have shed a small tear in lament for the fallen hero type that gave his all and achieved something grand at the cost of his life after a long journey. It's just too bad that Japan has a tendency to go for the whole sad manic pixie dream girl dying in snow and while this trope (I consider it one and why it just doesn't work on me remotely at this point so much as leads me to roll my eyes and lose interest in a show fast if it starts looking like it's going to crop up) seems to have a fresh impact on many every single time, again just weary of it all already, would sooner watch a good drama and Netflix and get more of an even handle on the genre most likely.

relyat08 wrote:
Well, like Rebecca, I tear up in almost everything, most recently Grimgar, but it isn't quite as often that I break down seriously crying. Unfortunately for me, the last time it REALLY hit me was while watching The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya in a public theater with dozens of people around me. It was sort of embarrassing, but I managed to avoid awkward stares thanks to my extra large hoodie.

That film connects with me on so many different levels. The gorgeous artwork in motion, by itself in certain scenes, is enough to bring my feelings right to the surface. But combining that with such a potent story about growing up and living life through all of it's unfairness and many hardships, just really knocked me out. Crying or Very sad

I admit that one hit hard at least, particularly with the scene of her looking back on Earth with this confused pensive look as if she'd just forgotten something important and then a look of horror and recollection as she looks back to the moon as if she's being condemned. Again though that movie had a lot of moods, moments of levity and never felt like it was deliberately trying to make you cry or weep all the time. It also understood that there's more to drama and tragedy then some dying girl too.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:

I admit that one hit hard at least, particularly with the scene of her looking back on Earth with this confused pensive look as if she'd just forgotten something important and then a look of horror and recollection as she looks back to the moon as if she's being condemned. Again though that movie had a lot of moods, moments of levity and never felt like it was deliberately trying to make you cry or weep all the time. It also understood that there's more to drama and tragedy then some dying girl too.

Exactly. It didn't feel like it was trying to make me cry, and I didn't go into it expecting to cry. It just happened. It covered such a broad range of emotion that it just felt natural. We were just watching her live life and see her struggle with things that most people can probably relate to, if not literally, at least metaphorically. Unreasonable parental and societal expectations, feeling lost, depressed, anxious, regret etc. But also joy, happiness, nostalgia. It's a pretty great film.
I don't like feeling manipulated, but I'm also the kind of person who feels somewhat freer when I cry. It's basically a form of stress relief, to be honest. It feels really good to connect with other characters going through things that I can relate to and being able to let go for a little bit. If it feels like they were trying to make me cry, it won't have the same impact, but I feel like most of these stories were more interested in sharing something that they felt passionate about. There are obvious exceptions, I've never been a fan of most Key stuff, particularly Air, but I don't think making the audience cry is usually the first priority for most of the truly great drama shows.
OuroborosXxXNinnurta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I've watched countless anime, but the only anime that has EVER made me cry so hard that I was a mess for two days afterward was JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, in Battle Tendency, when spoiler[ Caesar battles Wham and with the very last of his life energy creates a bubble of blood containing his headband and the lip-ring antidote, his final thoughts being of JoJo and how he entrusts everything- and passes on his will- to him. The giant cross-shaped piece of rubble crushing his entire body didn't help either, and when JoJo and Lisa Lisa finally come inside and realize it's too late, and JoJo notices the blood seeping from beneath the rubble, and KNOWS that that's where his friend's body is, and cries out his name-- I broke out in tears, I burst into sobs!! Caesar was one of my favorite characters in the entire show and his death just hit me like a train.]
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I am one of those people who cry fairly easily, when it is about fiction. (The fact that I never cried over the entire weekend when we went to my father's funeral totally freaked my kids out because they are used to me crying over anime on a regular basis.)

The scene on the train when Ushio explains to Tomoya when her grandmother told her it was OK to cry is one of the most profoundly moving scenes I have ever watched. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

Madoka is full of moments, but it is the episode that explains Homura's background that gets me the most.

I seem to recall bawling for a huge amount of time at the end of the first arc of Sunday Without God.

Utena got me at several points. I need to rewatch it again...

Your Lie in April was a surprise for me. I had read the manga; I knew what was coming; I expected to cry huge crocodile tears over the show... But I didn't. I teared up on occasion. Every once in a while I would feel one slip down my cheek, but I didn't really, really cry... Then came the very end... I expected that to get me... It didn't. The credits started rolling and then... they started showing a montage of images of a certain character and I BAWLED! I cried so hard it was pathetic! All the sadness that I knew was coming all the time didn't hit me, but when that little slide show of pictures came on the screen, I was undone!

One more recent show that really surprised me was Yurikuma Arashi. Durring the run of the show, I frequently found comments saying that people had trouble connecting with the characters because they were too symbolic. I recall someone saying that it is hard to get emotional about a metaphor... Then I watched one of the episodes near the end and posted to Tublr that I must be a pretty philosophical person, because I just cried over the death of a metaphor!

EDIT: I anticipate crying tears of joy when the new Full Metal Panic! arrives! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11