• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saban Listed as Promoting Smile Precure to Licensees as Glitter Force

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I find it pretty amusing how different a path anime localization has traveled when we're given an example of a 90's-style dub and everyone's going apeturd over it all, whereas in the 90's, this was ridiculed but tolerated, and something like today's dubs would either be revered as a holy grail or largely ignored because it's weird and Japanese.

Kimiko_0 wrote:
Not only is the episode count reduced from 48 to 40, the running time is reduced from 24 min. to 22 min. too. Unless they cut the OP and ED down to about half a minute each, they'll be cutting into the content of the remaining 40 episodes as well.

That's pretty much the norm for American television. The 22-minute thing, I mean. Most TV channels will set aside a minimum of 8 minutes for commercials. If I remember correctly, there's somewhat fewer commercials per half hour on Japanese TV, so they can make episodes longer.

maoyen wrote:
Right, cause "Smile Precure" makes sense to a second grader. You guys need to understand that this stuff is made for kids. You think Saban is gonna spend money bringing this over just to appeal to a niche group of otakus? They want that My Little Pony money.

Which is kind of ironic as My Little Pony then went the other way: Appealing to little girls and becoming one of those Comic-Con geek kind of shows.

DmonHiro wrote:
I swear to God, I choked on my sandwich when I read "Glitter Force". Wow, it's like I'm back in 1999. Dear lord... 40 episode? I hope in bombs. TOEI doesn't need the money, but I hope Saban goes down in flames. Are they trying to be the next 4Kids?

Probably not. I'm guessing Haim Saban thinks audiences are the same now as they were in the 90's. Tha being said, I honestly have no clue whether this will succeed, bomb, or be somewhere in between.

Dessa wrote:
Given the 40 episodes, there's a good chance the broadcaster is Nickelodeon, given their "2 20-episode season" requirement for each Power Rangers series.

That..actually is a pretty good reason. Still, pretty gutsy to go for Nickelodeon, which was never that receptive to anime even at its apex and is too in love with SpongeBob SquarePants to pay much attention to anything else. (To be fair, so are the kids.)

Veniamin wrote:
They basically removed any tension of a final boss and one of his subordinates felt more of a final boss than he did. I don't know if repetition can cause kids to lose interest but it's worth taking into consideration.

If anything, I'd say repetition is a draw for kids. Kids' brains are hardwired to learn from what they see, and thus they are attracted to repetition because that's the most surefire way to learn something by watching.

You know what I mean if you or a kid you've known wanted to watch the same movie every day for weeks. I know I was like that.

Kimiko_0 wrote:
Akane's family's okonomiyaki restaurant.

Doughnuts. That's what 4Kids calls onigiri at least.

Though with less joking around, the closest western equivalent is savory crepes. I'm betting on that. Or omelettes.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
Yeah, KidsWB just took a pretty good magical girl show that as intended for young girls and butchered it to go after a young boys audience, complete destroying any sort of plot.

You can see the internal logic there though: Pokémon became a gigantic success on the block. Then, Yu-Gi-Oh! became another gigantic success. Both of them are action series aimed at boys, and both are also anime that had pretty severe edits. Nelvana or the WB Network wanted to ride 4Kids's coattails with Cardcaptors.

bloodshotdays wrote:
Japan does not mess around in showing harsh realities to children, it shows that to achieve your dreams there will be some incredibly difficult hurdles to overcome which may or may not involve physical or emotional violence. The girls overcome all that in the end, and that's why it's necessary.

Having good role models overcome harsh adversity is what is missing from the mark here in the states, it's pretty much all just "things will work out in the end regardless". Girls need hard hitting role models, and I don't mean Sailor Moon who clings to Tuxedo Mask, they need to have role models that strive for pretty much anything but seeking a male. It makes it a lot more entertaining for guys to watch too, dual-demographic and it works.

Problem here: You have a lot of parents who will try to hide any hardships from their kids in real life, the ones who make sure their kids always succeed with no difficulty and never fail because they can't bear to see their children unhappy for even a second. They're not going to tolerate a TV show that'll tell their kids otherwise. I see a lot of them.

ivancho wrote:
And then I thought that butchering anime was a thing from the past. I was wrong!!!
If you ask me, there is no point in using that kind of censorship anymore. Anime es getting more and more accessible to people by legal anime streaming sites like Crunchyroll, Daisuki, etc. They offer both subs and dubs and you can enjoy the anime as it is showed in Japan.
I'm going to be honest Saban should dissappear!!!

But will the little girls want to watch? And if they do, will their parents let them watch?

penguintruth wrote:
Maybe Toei should have some integrity and not allow butchering to happen to the properties they sell. I know they want to make a profit, but there's probably a way of doing that without the product being run through the mill.

If the aim is to get little girls in North America as their audience, I don't think there really is a way to remain faithful and do so.

Blue21 wrote:
As far as I know, Italy airs Precure without compromising its content, and it has worked fine for them. Why is it that the US feels the need to localize things to the point of eliminating any element that might identify the show as Japanese?

There is a great deal of xenophobia within the United States. (Look no further than Donald Trump's fanbase.) People get nervous when a popular media is too foreign. Companies like Ford Motors sometimes market that their stuff is made in the USA and nothing else. Parts of South Carolina are getting an influx of Hispanics moving in and it's causing tensions with pre-existing people, where they say, and I quote from a newspaper I read, "They're changing the country." There is a chance that they can hide nothing that it's Japanese and still succeed (like with Naruto, which played up its Japanese-ness), but it's risky.

On the other hand, if they can remove as many obviously Japanese things as they can, there's a good chance these people won't notice and think it's like The Powerpuff Girls or Teen Titans (the first series). And they avoid what happened to Pokémon, where that pastor in Colorado Springs called it the work of Satan.

Primus wrote:
The problem here is the assumption that DiC, 4Kids and Saban Brands were/are part of the R1 anime industry; for the most part, they're not. They're all kids media companies looking for the next huge merchandise phenomenon. Unlike a Funimation or some other R1 distributor, their #1 goal for a show isn't to sell DVDs/BDs, it's to sell the show to broadcasters and licensees (toys, games, clothes, books, home video, etc.) worldwide. Their target audience doesn't watch fansubs and has never heard of the Japanese version. The shows are heavily localized in an attempt to get them on TV and not appear weird to the kids they're going after.

Pretty Cure is a 22-minute toy commercial, and I can assure you that any treatment it gets is something a shonen-22 minute toy commercial has likely faced before. Last year's dub of LBX by Dentsu not only saw random name changes, a new title and soundtrack, it got 44-episodes edited down to 26. Saban's Digimon Fusion dub is pretty shitty as well, though no where near as severe as what I just listed. This isn't some grand conspiracy against magical girl shows.

Thank you so much for explaining this. I felt like I was the only one that figured companies like Saban have no interest in the anime fan market, which is niche, and are just doing it to appeal to the companies that can sell toys for them. Not everyone seeks out fansubs. Not everyone knows about fansubs. For non-fans of anime, they might not even know what a fansub is.

Anime was mainstream once (even that is debatable though), but normal people don't consume media or behave the way anime fans do.

CCTakato wrote:
This isn't about it being a grand conspiracy against magical girl shows. This is about how there's been a long documented bias against magical girl anime in the U.S. where magical girl shows tend to be dismissed as a little kiddy fair to sell Barbie dolls while shonen action shows like Naruto and One Piece are regarded as legit forms of entertainment to be consumed by anime fans even though they're both aimed at little kids...Kids today are more connected to the Internet and the global geekdom scene than ever before. Especially with the fansubs easily accessible, how long do you think it will take kids to Google Glitter Force online, find out about all the changes Saban made to the dub, decide it was a horrible adaptation, and decide to stick to the fansubs instead of supporting the official release?

The Powerpuff Girls, Steven Universe, and Star vs. The Forces of Evil are all magical girl shows that have been successful in the United States. Of course, all of them are also domestically produced and written. In order for a magical girl show to succeed, however, it has to get kids' attention in the first place. That being said, all three also were designed to catch the attention of boys too. (Arguably, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic also has elements of magical girl shows in it, especially from the end of Season 4 and onwards.)

As for kids looking stuff up on the Internet, they could've done that in the 90's too. Many sites were dedicated to explaining the differences between the original and localized versions, and fansubs were easily available to anyone who wanted them. But that would require a certain level of interest, and the Internet doesn't just tell you things. You have to seek them out. If they prefer to watch PewDiePie or Uncle Grandpa than Glitter Force, why would they even bother to do this seeking out in the first place?
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:22 am Reply with quote
I would hardly call the original Powerpuff Girls a magical girl show. It was mostly an action show with some slapstick in it, more along the lines of a 1960s Saturday morning cartoon show than anything anime. Powerpuff Girls Z, though...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
If they put this on Toonami, then they could get away with less censorship. Now, why didn't that happen, Saban?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:02 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
If they put this on Toonami, then they could get away with less censorship. Now, why didn't that happen, Saban?

Even if Saban wanted to run Pretty Cure on Toonami's block, they wouldn't accept it simply for the possible reason that it's "too family-friendly."
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I get this suspicion that Saban thinks kids in the U.S. are either too stupid or too young to know what Japan is, which is absurd since even little kids who play Pokemon know that it's a Japanese property.

I wouldn't be so sure that little kids know or even care where Pokémon originates, but Saban's Digimon Tamers was firmly located in Tokyo (the original TV trailers even named Shinjuku).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I get this suspicion that Saban thinks kids in the U.S. are either too stupid or too young to know what Japan is, which is absurd since even little kids who play Pokemon know that it's a Japanese property.

It is not what Saban thinks about kids in the U.S.

It is what their broadcasting partners are going to allow, that matters.

While not 100%, overall American society thinks that kids need to be protected from reality, so certain things are not allowed and shows are dumbed down. Not saying that there isn't any good children's animation or that some edgy (for children) stuff doesn't make it thru. But for the most part children's animation is a lot tamer and boring than when I was a kid.

Anime rips the still beating heart out of American children's programming, and stuffs it down their throat. That is the appeal and seductiveness of anime.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
"America" is not censoring your kiddy anime. America legally cannot censor any type of creative art under the Constitution. It's the broadcaster, not a darn country. Also, let's not have some sort of amnesia here and assume this is something that US networks and companies alone does or has done. If you think that European countries' broadcasters and licencors don't or haven't done this, you're living in some alternate reality. The history that French and Italian companies have had with anime is terrible. Let's not forget that it was France with the largest anime market outside Japan until recently. Remember Ramna? Remember Dragon Ball anyone? France's track record with Dragon Ball is even worse than the USA's, since almost all European dubs are the French dub but in the vernacular.

@leafy sea dragon: Americans are no less xenophobic than the French and are less so than the Japanese. According to a map that ranks xenophobia by shade, America was a blue and Japan was purple. Opposing illegal immigration is not "xenophobic" since any country opposes illegal immigration. Trump said "illegals" not Mexicans. I must stress that most Mexicans in the US are "white" and that the term "Hispanic" is merely a term used to refer to Spanish speakers regardless of race or culture.

@CCTakato: What does race have do with anything? Also, 72% of Americans are "white" so there's no need to start predicting something that won't happen.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
While not 100%, overall American society thinks that kids need to be protected from reality, so certain things are not allowed and shows are dumbed down. Not saying that there isn't any good children's animation or that some edgy (for children) stuff doesn't make it thru. But for the most part children's animation is a lot tamer and boring than when I was a kid.

Anime rips the still beating heart out of American children's programming, and stuffs it down their throat. That is the appeal and seductiveness of anime.

It is pitiful, since we eventually learn around the age of 10 that, for example, death is inevitable and final (at least when I was a kid that was perfectly normal). "Protecting the children" is such a tiresome, outdated load of crap. Kids these days aren't stupid either, as access to the Internet enables them to learn things they're definitely going to be curious about when they become teenagers. Covering your kids' eyes and ears is completely in vain. I agree with you too, cartoons these days (save for a rare few) definitely are afraid of doing the stuff that made Bugs Bunny and Tom & Jerry famous.

I'm not saying six-year-olds should suddenly start learning curse words and watching violent gore, but watering down everything to insulting levels just shows that the parent interest groups (and by extension, the ignorant busybody parents) think children need to be raised in a plastic bubble where they learn to fear everything that isn't Disney or Dora the Explorer. Of course, Japan isn't totally off the hook since even some of their kids shows have some weird content to them, but I digress.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott, if that's the case, I don't Cartoon Network could get away with TV-PG shows but a show like this would perhaps have to TV-Y7.
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
they're so going to bowdlerize this show because conservatives are idiots... Rolling Eyes
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quote
As if Smile Pretty Cure isn't cheezy enough an English that a Disney MBA may come up with. (Or a Chinese restaurant.)
If it was going to be popular with the youths of N. America, it would've already caught on there a long time ago for Toei.

A lot of branding turn out not to be marketable in N. America and fail - it's a tough market to crack.
They already tried magical girl series in America like Winx Club, and even W.I.T.C.H. published by Disney, adapted by Disney, and aired by Disney (so it's a total Disney property that they have the most to benefit from its success) - and yet still failed.
Even if everything is kept intact, chances are it'll still fail. DBZ was edited when it caught on; Sailor Moon was edited when it caught on. Just because ya can do it doesn't mean the youths will latch onto it.
Good luck convincing TV networks to even pick it up in the first place - they reject a lot more than they put on.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
Holo Wolfgod wrote:
they're so going to bowdlerize this show because conservatives are idiots... Rolling Eyes

This is not a conservative, Republican, or Democratic issue. It is a societal one. “Save the Children” crosses all boundaries and poisons our society (despite how the phrase sounds).

NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
"America" is not censoring your kiddy anime. America legally cannot censor any type of creative art under the Constitution. It's the broadcaster, not a darn country. Also, let's not have some sort of amnesia here and assume this is something that US networks and companies alone does or has done. If you think that European countries' broadcasters and licencors don't or haven't done this, you're living in some alternate reality

That is not entirely accurate. The U.S. Government does censor programming aimed at children. References to cigarettes and alcohol are not allowed by law. Broadcasters are not in the business to protect children or cater to certain special interests, but rather to make money. But they will edit programming for content, to abide by the law, and to ensure they don’t feel the wrath of society and a possible backlash from the State and Federal governments.
Also it is not relevant that the Europeans do it, because it doesn’t excuse the United States and our society for its excesses.
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Holo Wolfgod wrote:

This is not a conservative, Republican, or Democratic issue. It is a societal one. “Save the Children” crosses all boundaries and poisons our society (despite how the phrase sounds).

true but I'm referring to the fact that media watchdogs tends to be conservative (e.g. Parents Television Council)
Chanmanlv

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:10 am Reply with quote
Moment i heard that smile precure would be comming out as glitter force, I instantly flashed back to 2000 and Nelvana & Madhouse wonderful rendition of CCS. With all the words in the english dictionary. An 8yr old could come up with better names then (Cardcaptors & Glitter force)
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
You're missing the point, Tars. I'm not excusing how certain U.S networks have treated anime. I'm just saying, let's condemn both European and American edits. If anything, aren't Northern/Western-Europeans supposed to be more "cultured" than us "stupid" and "barbaric" Americans? Just a thought. I'm not excusing bad practices. It's good to be holistic in exposure. This isn't even an American (U.S) site. The creator of this forum is a native French-speaking Canadian from Quebec. Therefore, if we're going to be using excuses like "This site is from the US and we focus on US activity" well, that's a flawed statement, because number 1, this is an anime site, which focuses on anime, regardless of how it's dubbed or if it isn't dubbed. Anime being from Japan. Secondly, the creator doesn't even speak English as his native language. We have to be international and holistic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10