• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Burnout Paradise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
"true fan" = that one guy that only watches shows from a certain TV block or animation studio and rips on everything else. Disapproves with anything popular in N America. Tries super hard to follow the Japanese market just to "you call yourself a fan and you don't know that? Pssh!" on forums and in person. Gets in angry disputes over someones personal choice of audio track. Little things I've noticed over the years.

It's fine to display pride in your hobby but don't take down others in the process :< regardless of how you consume the medium, everyone is a fan in their own way. Adding "true" to that makes you look like you're compensating for something.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:58 am Reply with quote
I swear I had no Idea what a filthy casual actually was until today (I've heard the term but never got what it meant.

As far as Burnout goes I think I've experienced it a few times, but only within certain genres of anime and manga and for that I either look at a different genre or take a break and do something else for a while like play games or watch movies. I try to be as causal about these sorts of things as possible since at the end of the day it's just a hobby of mine. I try to be at least a bit knowledgeable about certain things I hear within the internet fandom, especially since I know very few people in real life I can actually talk about this stuff with but more than getting burn out from anime or manga I get more burn-outs from going on forums.
phifedawg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I agree anime isn't a genre and shouldnt be treated as such.

but if thats true, why is there such a thing as "anime fandom" and a website called Anime News Network?
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
phifedawg wrote:

but if thats true, why is there such a thing as "anime fandom" and a website called Anime News Network?

Having a site called Anime News Network isn't treating anime as a genre.

And I think everyone acknowledges that being a fan of anime doesn't mean you like all anime or all genres within anime.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
phifedawg wrote:

The same reason there are "sports fans" and "film enthusiasts". It's possible to be a fan of a medium. One must simply understand that everything expressed in a medium is not the same, nor should be judged according to the same standards.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
phifedawg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
The same reason there are "sports fans" and "film enthusiasts"

I do enjoy some sports and films, but I wouldn't consider myself either of those things.
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
phifedawg wrote:
VORTIA wrote:
The same reason there are "sports fans" and "film enthusiasts"

I do enjoy some sports and films, but I wouldn't consider myself either of those things.

Okay...

But his point is that if someone says "I'm a sports fan" you don't automatically assume they love every sport. Presumably they follow a bunch of sports, but everyone has likes and dislikes even in something they generally like.
phifedawg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I see the point, but not sure I really agree with "It's possible to be a fan of a medium"

would the opposite of anime fans be the live-action fandom? why is there no such thing as book fandom, but there is a comic book fandom?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:25 am Reply with quote
There is a book fandom, it is just not called that. Book fans are called "readers". In addition, very few comic book fans like all comic books. Just like with anime they have their favorites and stuff they dislike. It is just easier to say comic book fan than to list all the series or genres they like. It is the same with anime.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
Been a while since I've listened to an ANNcast but felt like listening to people that I consider functional sentient human beings talk about anime a little since everyone else I know with half a clue is busy lately.

It seems I picked the perfect episode to listen to cause while I'm legitimately enjoying anime lately it just feels like I have so few people to talk with about the things I do enjoy cause everyone is into to things that I really just don't see much value in like the Monogatari Franchise and the things I do enjoy like Gundam BF, Kakumeiki Valvrave, Yowamushi Pedal, Ace of Diamond (hearing bamboo give these two sports anime a nod was really great cause they're both so good and suck me in so effortlessly week after week yet everybody seems to be ignoring them. Sad I agree that the characters and the growth therein is what really makes these two shows strong), White Album 2 to name a handful from this season either nobody is really talking about, has no insight on or just outright reviles so all you get is shitposting about it.

I don't know if lack of interesting and stimulating conversation about anime one enjoys can be considered a legitimate burnout, but for me it feels that way lately. It also helps that the podcast talks a little bit about that too though and to be honest I kind of feel equally as frustrated with the fandom these days. A lot of people just feel so ignorant, have so little of value to say and it feels like it's moved beyond the content of the shows proper and how we react to and discuss them and more along the lines of representing an ideal or particular clique.

This show is by studio/creator x so therefore it is designated to be the best show of the season by default and will receive nothing but positive comments and all the worlds shallow unconditional praises for this that and the other thing regardless of actual relevance and contribution to the actual quality of the show for the moderately discerning eye. This show is by studio/creator y which has been designated as not a good producer so therefore it will be casually tossed aside and ignored or just outright misrepresented and shat upon by everyone as an utter abomination with no redeeming values.

The problem I find myself in most of the time is that what I tend to enjoy and find the most value and potential for discussion in regularly tends to largely fall into category y with todays fandom so I'm basically just fucked for a good discussion 9 times out of 10 except on the extremely rare occasion that I actually find a show that manages to work it's way into category x and that I can still enjoy like an Attack on Titan or Madoka Magica. It's really frustrating to me because it no longer feels like anything is being evaluated and reacted to based on what we actually get as an end media product and it's all predetermined by studio fanboy politics and "common wisdom" how the fandom at large will react and how a show will be regarded and us older fans (I'm about to turn 30 myself, but don't feel my appreciation for anime lessening so much as growing more open-minded and experimental while it feels like with others the definition of what can be considered good or bad grows narrower and more simplistic by the year) who try our best to consider what it is we are watching, do a little extra reading about what the creators have in mind and the technical qualities of the story as we see them first hand are being sidelined by a culture that doesn't care about these sorts of things at all.

Another thing I'd like to briefly mention that kind of drives me up the wall about the current anime fandom is the idea of sales dictating quality and the degree to which something should be held in esteem and recommended. I never remember seeing this before a few years ago and kind of lament that these numbers are made public because while it's interesting from a statistical standpoint I think no other single instance has contributed more to the general arrogance and condescending nature I see in a lot of so-called fans nowadays cause now it isn't about looking at the shows as the individual sees them anymore, not you can have people saying "Oh well you don't like this show but it was the best selling show of the season so clearly you don't know what you're talking about and everything you just said in criticism of the show is irrelevant", and it's just the dumbest thing ever. Why should what a fanbase thinks in a foreign country, a buyer base mostly made up of people that by shows based largely on aesthetics, included swag, pricing, availability of the product, event tickets and whatever other things creators can come up with to entice viewers have any relevance on how the individual perceives the show itself. It just makes so little sense to me and again feels like another example of how this fanbase is getting away from the things that really ought to matter at the end of the day and hiding behind these numbers. It's even worse when people use it to try to put down other shows and considering it tends to be the more experimental and adult oriented stuff that doesn't attract buyers in Japan as much cause they just don't have enough merchandise and swag behind them to begin with guess who ends up suffering the brunt of this sort of culture the most.

There's just a lot of things that are hard for me to accept about the current fanbase and the standards to which it holds itself and that which it claims to be a fan of. Just not much seems genuine to me anymore about how most people react to anime online and it's enough to make one feel pretty put off.
The_Moe_Dome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I always love the Bamboo episodes. I wanted to share something that might be unique

I have had "Burn-Out" since the Fall of 2012- Yet, NOT on the dub side. I have watched a few shows subbed and I still follow a lot the modern Animes & trends but I find it really difficult to sit down and watch Subbed Anime - even though I have so many memories and years of doing it since 2009.

On the other hand it's easier for me for the watch the same shows DUBBED. I.E. I missed "Campione" & "The Dusk Maiden of Amnesia" the first time around but I devoured them over my lunch hour. I even re-watched "Book of Bantorra: Armed Librarians" and other shows I once saw subbed. I have never had Dubbed "Burn Out" ever since 2004 (when I started getting heavy in Anime).

I also watch & follow Pop Idols like: AKB48, Momoiro Clover Z, Super Girls, Shoujo Jidai, BiS ect and most of that stuff isnt subbed (Raw) or is Subbed and have NO Burn-Out symptoms there.

It's only Subbed Anime....I can't get my groove back. I have spurts but I can't get my rhythm back. It's frustrating. I wonder if it's because the Dub Industry is "Back" & Subbed shows are so readily available that there is no "Urgency" to watch new shows - I know where everything is so there is no rush to collect or watch new shows.

I also think that since "Bleach" ended my rhythm broke because I don't have any shows that I MUST Watch continuously to pair up with newer shows? It's very strange.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9