• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Creator Ken Akamatsu Wins Seat in Japan's House of Councillors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:19 pm Reply with quote
StarDango wrote:
And it still doesn’t change the fact that if we have to set rules in how we can depict fictional minors or child-like characters, then we would always have to set rules for violence. Because both are considered illegal IRL. It’s no different than when discussing the whole “do violent video games/movies create violent people?” argument.

They don't always have to. Sure, if the criteria is e.g. "depicts an act that causes more than X harm to another" then they are hypocrites if they don't apply it to depictions of all harmful acts that exceed X (at worst; at best they have limited resources and are picking their battles), but that's not the only reasonable criteria. One could instead toss into the mix the likelihood of the act actually being imitated in real life e.g. murder is fine to depict because every upstanding citizen knows it's wrong, but rape is right out due to the startling number of men who don't see it as a big deal. Or one could really narrowly focus on just the mental distress/anxiety caused to minors and their parents by the existence of a large number of adults fantasizing about sex with those minors and their younger siblings (and the even larger number of adults defending the right to have those fantasies).

Now, I don't care about those criteria - and boy doesn't that make me sound like an asshole - but it doesn't mean other people don't have reasonable and consistent viewpoints. It just means that they don't value freedom of expression to the degree I do, nor think that restricting it is a really poor and incomplete solution to most problems as much as I do, nor especially think like I do that getting the legal system involved is a really, really bad idea (especially in the US).... and just generally will (and IMHO does) cause more harm than good.

So yeah, I don't see anything wrong in Akamatsu's five policies... other than how they were organized; how are protections for transformative works, better health benefits and compensation for animators and illustrators, and an archive of public domain and out-of-print works one policy? I mean if I squint I can sort of see how it's all about protecting and supporting creators and preserving their works for future generations and posterity, but still...
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:11 am Reply with quote
StarDango wrote:
Not sure about Japan, but I’m pretty sure that in the United States, this is the exception to the rule of fictional content. If it can be proved they the art was indeed based on a real child, that does count as a crime and is highly illegal. And I personally think that’s the best course of action. The art came at the expense of a minor, their identity, and their well being. It should be a crime and (in the US) it is.
Your point here is sound and is related to an idea I was playing with in an earlier post. Basically I was expressing my take on the definition of freedom of expression, which a couple posters here clearly do not get.

So I want to expand on what you said by asking about established artists who typically draw children as their subjects in everyday situations, bathing included. One important thing we have to remember about children being subjects is whether a guardian's consent was given. This effectively removes or lessens the liability against the artist should someone have issues with certain pieces of art.

Isn't this the essence of creative expression? To give artists the ability to use their talents unbounded by possible repercussions of certain depictions. I'm not saying that should give them free reign to produce child p0rn, since I'm not necessarily implying whether artwork depicts genitals or not. And I'm not suggesting any restrictions on anyone's personal convictions on what's appropriate or not for them. That's each individual's freedom to decide as well, but its not the voice of the art community or those who truly appreciate and respect the goal of creative expression. But people who think their personal convictions are representative of that voice truly terrify me.

Edit: no, actually not that scared, because at the end of the day those people are irrelevant.
Blanchimont wrote:
Your description of them is so very much reminiscent of the pro-life crowd in USA who are so so concerned of the unborn ones. But once it comes to issues real babies/children/parents face(poverty, healthcare, education, support for parents etc) etc we don't hear so much as a whimper from them Confused ...
Ha ha, that's really what I was going for. Then again isn't that the same approach Trump's entire base uses for every issue?
FreedomNo1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:03 am Reply with quote
Congrats I look forward to the positive changes there are a lot of areas in Japanese copyright that restrict the freedom of creativity example why no Japanese Vtubers exist etc. We need people in Japan to protect those freedoms and Ken is a great start
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8