• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rurouni Kenshin Gets New TV Anime by Liden Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
If you ever needed proof that cancel culture is a myth, look no further than Nobuhiro Watsuki.

This is interesting news to wake up to on the same day that Louis CK surprise-released a new comedy special. Turns out, cancel culture is a fairy tale both in the East and the West.

Fairy tale is a bit much, but it certainly isn't a permanent blacklist from every being able to support oneself through art.
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
If people want to enjoy art from bad people, they can. People still need to be aware of their crimes or bigotry while they enjoy their art. Charlie Chaplin was a total creep, but he still made some of the best movies in human history. HP Lovecraft and J. R. R. Tolkien are racist not-so-nice-people, but I still love their stories.

There's a difference though. Those people are dead.

They're not benefitting from the influence and money their works give them. They're not actively indulging in terrible things. Watsuki is. You go out of your way to support this man's work, you're supporting a pedophile.

Enjoying art from problematic creators doesn't inherently make you some bad person, but you can choose to not support them, and also stop trying to play defense for the man. Trying to ignore, and or twist factoids to justify you enjoying work from terrible people is a problem.
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Dynamo- wrote:
jlaking wrote:
Or that Aniplex are deleting posts about the author's CP issue.

I doubt it. People on Reddit are complaining about people complaining about it on this site. Not many going after him on Reddit either.
Lol

Yeahhhh, Reddit has never been like the litmus test for human decency. And "not many people complaining" doesn't equal "bad thing is actually good thing". It just means there are a lot of folks out there who either don't care or totally condone supporting a convicted pedophile. Confused

I get that, just pointing out that the average person kinda doesn’t care anymore. Some will continue to bring up it up and argue till their dying breath but that’s a small minority. I’m not taking a side, just stating facts. The Harry Potter comparison is kind of interesting, the difference however being her continuing behaviour but both benefitted by creating something a lot of people like.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Allison Addams wrote:
They're not benefitting from the influence and money their works give them. They're not actively indulging in terrible things. Watsuki is. You go out of your way to support this man's work, you're supporting a pedophile.

That's an assumption you're making. The crime is in the past and as far we're aware he's repented, until evidence says otherwise.

Nor do I believe in a mob society where any ne'er-do-well are branded pariahs for life even after repenting and turning a new leaf. That's not what our criminal systems aim for(it´s reforming and rehabilitation in case of the criminal). Perhaps in the past, but at least not our modern systems.

gedata wrote:
Fairy tale is a bit much, but it certainly isn't a permanent blacklist from every being able to support oneself through art.

Agree. What was he supposed to do? Art is his craft, he must have a right to try earn a living somehow, now that his punishment is over and in the past...
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
That's an assumption you're making. The crime is in the past and as far we're aware he's repented, until evidence says otherwise.

What? We know his sentence was a slap on the wrist. Why should we assume "until evidence says otherwise" that he feels penitent and will not likely repeat his crime?
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Was just looking up Liden films.. most of the titles I’m not familiar with, any examples of some good ones they’ve put out?
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I'll only check the dub out if they get Richard Cansino back its the least they can do for long time fans of the Bang Zoom dub.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
@ Allison Addams,

You've made you point well enough. Anything further will be deemed soapboxing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MyrmidonMamori

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Mixed feelings on this. I've loved Rurouni Kenshin for a long time but don't think Watsuki should be supported. Not sure if I'm hyped or disappointed.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Allison Addams wrote:
The justice system is so messed up. And Japan definitely has some issues if this is a country where someone can get sentenced to years in prison over some minor drug use, but a pedophile that got his collection raided by police and admitted to being attracted to elementary school girls essentially just walked.

Pierre Taki was given a suspended sentence for his cocaine snorting, meaning he did not see any prison time. A slap on the wrist, some might say. He's also getting roles again these days so enough time has passed for him to enter the industry again. It's less about the crime and more about famous people tending to get let off from the law easy.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:08 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Allison Addams wrote:
The justice system is so messed up. And Japan definitely has some issues if this is a country where someone can get sentenced to years in prison over some minor drug use, but a pedophile that got his collection raided by police and admitted to being attracted to elementary school girls essentially just walked.

Pierre Taki was given a suspended sentence for his cocaine snorting, meaning he did not see any prison time. A slap on the wrist, some might say. He's also getting roles again these days so enough time has passed for him to enter the industry again. It's less about the crime and more about famous people tending to get let off from the law easy.

Actually a suspended sentence in Japan doesn't mean it just a slap on the wrist. It basically the cops said:" You are 1st time offender and you are on to you for now so behave yourself."
It is like a trial period where the offenders still been survey by the police and if they break any law during that time their sentences will be increase.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Before anything else, even the possession of that sort of content is an unequivocally evil thing, as its existence creates a direct market for the horrific abuse and exploitation of innocent children. There's absolutely no rational debate to be had there. The fact that the Japanese legal system all but crucifies people for smoking a joint, yet slapped a pitiful fine on Watsuki for this case, is just maddening.

Now, having said all of that, I don't think that the question of "should you watch/support this?" is something that can be reduced to pure black-and-white terms, since at the end of the day it comes down to people's individual relationships with the media they consume. Some may be very conscious of the creators behind works of entertainment, and what sorts of people they are, while others may not spare it a second thought. I completely understand those of you who decided that you'd never support any projects related to Watsuki in the future, or even that you'd no longer continue to watch/read what you already had. That's a perfectly reasonable course of action. I also understand those who acknowledge that what Watsuki did was awful, but are able to dissociate his actions from the series they enjoy. I'm not in a place to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't decide. (What I will never understand are those attempting to handwave his actions because...yeah no.)

As for me? Well...I don't know really. There have been instances where series I've enjoyed had people who worked on them wind up being pretty horrible, but that usually hasn't stopped me from revisiting them. I feel like J.K. Rowling has outed herself as a massive piece of shit over the past few years, but that doesn't stop me from sitting through parts of the near-ubiquitous weekend cable marathons of the Harry Potter films, even though she presumably gets some sort of royalties from the broadcast deals. I've watched Kenshin through the end of the Kyoto arc and greatly enjoyed it, but I only did so through less-than-legal means, so Watsuki has yet to see a dime from me. If I tried to track down copies of the domestic DVDs, they'd almost certainly be secondhand, so he still wouldn't get anything directly. When it comes to this upcoming project, I'd have to think about it beforehand.

And finally, trying to step back from this entire argument for a moment, whatever form this project winds up taking, I genuinely hope it's a continuation of the series and not yet another remake of content that in no way needs it. The Kyoto arc is one of the all-time greats in shonen anime. Let it stand as it is, and finally animate what came afterwards.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Please, people, don't stray from items raised in the article, make personal comments about other posters, soapbox, or ignore mod instructions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:

Yeahhhh, Reddit has never been like the litmus test for human decency. And "not many people complaining" doesn't equal "bad thing is actually good thing". It just means there are a lot of folks out there who either don't care or totally condone supporting a convicted pedophile. Confused

About the only place worse to use as a litmus test for human decency is 4chan.

Personally I love Kenshin, and it remains a favorite shonen for me. A favorite title altogether. I would love to see more.....I just don't want to financially support Watsuki in the process by doing so. Just my personal choice. I am of two minds on the whole you can support the product but not the artist debate. Part of me feels that is true, but another part feels that supporting the show, and thus supporting him, sends the message that consequences are meaningless. I don't think anyone is a bad person simply by wanting to see more Kenshin, or being willing to be on the side of that equation that can separate the artist from the product. There are many other examples we can bring up for similar decisions. Reading the HP novels or seeing the new movies. Listening to Marylyn Manson. Watching a Woody Allen movie. The list goes on.

I think what determines if you have decency or not is if you (still speaking in generalities) bend over backwards to condone and justify the actions of these people just so you can enjoy the product. If you want to watch and support the new Kenshin then that's your choice. Acting is if what he did was not a big deal, victimless, outright condoning it, etc. is not ok however.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Oby

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Johan Eriksson 9003 wrote:
Oby wrote:

You only prove my point with your Harry Potter argument. Fans of the franchise know that the author is terrible but they can't let go of the Harry Potter media and still buying the merchandises and watch the recent Fantastic Beast movies as well as watching the old HP movies in various streaming services which will still give profit to Rowling and support her agenda no matter how hard they denounce her. It's not that much different from Watsuki's case. So, if you're okay with the Harry Potter situation, why not the RK situation?

Reasonably certain that you won't find many people who refuse to support RK in any way but still reads HP. There is just very little overlap between those. (unless they are either very ignorant of what JKR is doing or just transphobic).

I wasn't talking about overlapping consumers between RK & HP in general. I was asking that specific user.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10