• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lord Marksman and Vanadis (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Several things:

Dude, I am not asking someone who has read the novels to tell me their knowledge based on source material set later. Fair that you put up a spoiler tag, but tags are also used for events in a recent anime episode. Since this is a discussion forum for the anime, you probably should add before that it is spoiler based on the source material, because I don't want to have it spoiled despite asking, It was more of something to create discussion rather than an actual answer.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:
Several things:

Dude, I am not asking someone who has read the novels to tell me their knowledge based on source material set later. Fair that you put up a spoiler tag, but tags are also used for events in a recent anime episode. Since this is a discussion forum for the anime, you probably should add before that it is spoiler based on the source material, because I don't want to have it spoiled despite asking, It was more of something to create discussion rather than an actual answer.

Most of what I wrote was cut out of the anime. Only the last few lines are future events, which I have now tagged.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Most of what I wrote was cut out of the anime. Only the last few lines are future events, which I have now tagged.

In any case, DuskyPredator is right: you can't explain a movie (or an anime, in this case) by quoting a novel. Specially when such book is not released in any place but Japan.

The idea of the spoiler[war between the Crazy Eyes and Elen are quite idiotic. Exactly as the previous clash with Tea Maiden and Elen: they cross their blades twice and oh, it's all clear, now we're ok, off to other battle for Tigre]

I mean, they got seven Warrior Maidens, and that's what they usually do:
1) talking
2) talking
3) talking
4) falling for Tigre
3) going somewhere

5) fighting

That is as spoiler[inexplicable as that former rivals Ganelon and Thenardier now are somewhat allied because... well, they can]. Geez, with all the time the narrator spend saying quite obvious thingsspoiler[ ("they got twenty thousand men, leaded by Barbarrossa")] you can take twenty seconds to explain what really is a crucial point of the story.

If the answer is "you should look the LN", then the anime is bad done.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

In any case, DuskyPredator is right: you can't explain a movie (or an anime, in this case) by quoting a novel. Specially when such book is not released in any place but Japan.

The idea of the spoiler[war between the Crazy Eyes and Elen are quite idiotic. Exactly as the previous clash with Tea Maiden and Elen: they cross their blades twice and oh, it's all clear, now we're ok, off to other battle for Tigre]

I mean, they got seven Warrior Maidens, and that's what they usually do:
1) talking
2) talking
3) talking
4) falling for Tigre
3) going somewhere

5) fighting

That is as spoiler[inexplicable as that former rivals Ganelon and Thenardier now are somewhat allied because... well, they can]. Geez, with all the time the narrator spend saying quite obvious thingsspoiler[ ("they got twenty thousand men, leaded by Barbarrossa")] you can take twenty seconds to explain what really is a crucial point of the story.

If the answer is "you should look the LN", then the anime is bad done.

As many have said, it's impossible to squeeze 5 volumes into 13 episodes without rushing through a lot of worldbuilding and character building. Elizaveta has her reasons to pick a fight as I have explained, though I completely understand that it's hard to follow for people who just watched the anime.

Also, Thenardier and Ganelon were not "somewhat" allied. This was mainly Ganelon going "hey, Thenardier, your dukedom is under threat, you might want to take care of that before bothering me". Thenardier indeed sends his army to defend his land, but he kept a bigger army to keep Ganelon in check.

There's been speculation that the publishers didn't want to invest too much money into making this anime because they were simply looking for the most cost effective method of doing an advertisement for the LN. I hope that isn't true, as someone who is a fan of both European history and fantasy I hope they decide to make a 24 episode season 2. Elizaveta has a complicated and sympathetic back story, and I'd love to see that on screen.

With maybe half the budget of UBW or Bahamut, they could have easily made this material one of the biggest hits of the season and do wonders for its LN sales.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Nah. All the money in the world can't fix a botched narrative.

And I say that as someone with a major in History. European Medieval Age didn't work that way.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

It was okay but the episode still rushed a bit. The spoiler[action was nice although some of the tactics were a bit obvious. We also get some cute moments at night between Ellen and Tigre. A nice break is good for them right?]

Really curious to see if some of the other Vanadis will show up again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
Yeah, sorry, I missed the whole plot. I was distracted by the dancing soldiers in the background.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Yeah, sorry, I missed the whole plot. I was distracted by the dancing soldiers in the background.

That was very distracting.

So it came down to red beard spoiler[realising that he lost too many for his full mission, so he tried to play up Tigre even more so that he does not look so bad for running away]? Tigre being a spoiler[third power in the kingdom sounds a little dangerous for possibly wrath from the others].
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
the war part is ok. it looks the story is not going anywhere.

I wish they make an anime about Alexander or Genghis Khan. Nobunaga is nothing about to those two. Mongols' military strategies were use up to world war 2.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
Bertland is a hero from the latest episode. Kinda curious to see how this will be adapted though for the finale...

I expect a big climax.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

Not what I would call a big finale, but it got the job done. It was nice that spoiler[they were able to get someone nice on the throne, increase his standing, broker peace, and have plans to help trade]. Though I feel like this show has so many different names, concept, and politics, that it kind of just gets confusing in only certain scenes being easily clear. What they did a great job of was making battle strategies clear by the use of chess like pieces to show the flow of battle. Though it was missing from this episode, perhaps because spoiler[the enemy had really kind of lost it and was not fighting smart with so many allies taken out].

If I had to choose a favourite part of the series, it would probably be when Tigre wore the bear fur and talked with Ludmila, I did not feel as bit a fan of Eleonora, I liked Tita though even if most didn't. I can say I enjoyed some of the politics, I would say that in some ways it felt it not as distracting as in MAOYU, but I think the characters felt more interesting in that show. I would rate this show as Decent, it can be a good easy watch, but I think it might have really gone down to chemistry that felt off.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Overall I really enjoyed the show. Tigre's pretty cool and all the ladies are quite nice. They all treat him well and even if he accidentally gropes them they just shrug it off. After years of violent tsundere heroines it's refreshing to see ones who keep a level head.

I really liked the costume designs even if the animation was subpar at times. I think the highlight of the series was seeing Elen and Millia take down those dragons together.

I'll definitely be reading the novels.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13/Finale:

Meh, the series has a good momentum and action is decent but the finale was underwhelming imo. The highlight was spoiler[that Tigre was able to shoot down his rival although I find it predictable. Not only that but the action felt dull on most parts.]

The series was also really rushed imo although I do like the visual quality and the OP song overall. It does say 'the end' so I'm not expecting any season 2 in the future or at least yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8