• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal (ONA).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
As it's running now, they're going to have to either a) add in filler, b) go a new direction, or c) adapt multiple arcs.

Here's how Crystal currently lines up with the manga and the original anime (since, overall storywise, there are no major deviations):

Crystal Act 1 : Manga Act 1 : Anime Episode 1
Crystal Act 2 : Manga Act 2 : Anime Episode 8
Crystal Act 3 : Manga Act 3 : Anime Episode 10

From the preview for next week's, we can add to that
Crystal Act 4 : Manga Act 4 : Anime Episode 22

So, we're skipping a lot of the padding from the original anime, and, most likely, the entirety of the Rainbow Jewel arc will not be here (which, while padding to the anime, actually wasn't too bad).

That being said, if the current pattern is followed, this is how the rest of the first arc will go:

Crystal Act 5 : Manga Act 5 : Anime Episode 25
Crystal Act 6 : Manga Act 6 : Anime Episode 28 (?)
Crystal Act 7 : Manga Act 7 : Anime Episode 28 (?)
[I'm honestly not sure exactly how Acts 6 and 7 correlate to the original anime. I haven't seen all of this portion of it]
Crystal Act 8 : Manga Act 8 : Anime Episode 33/34
Crystal Act 9 : Manga Act 9 : Anime Episode 34/35
Crystal Act 10 : Manga Act 10 : Anime Episode 44
Crystal Act 11 : Manga Act 11 : Anime Episode 45(ish)
Crystal Act 12 : Manga Act 12 : Anime Episode 45-46(ish)
Crystal Act 13 : Manga Act 13 : Anime Episode 46(ish)
[The "ish" is because the climax is pretty different between the anime and the manga]

And... we're at the end of the first arc. And only halfway through the series.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
I finally got a chance to watch episode 3 and again, I thought it was pretty fabulous. I still haven't quite gotten used to the new designs, even if they are pretty much animated versions of the manga designs, but I do like them. I even find the transformation sequences to be pretty awesome now, particularly the fire for Rei's.

I'm hoping we'll get some more character development for Ami and Rei as things go on. That is one thing that manga is a bit lacking in, though manga!Usagi is a very well developed character. Having an episode that isn't dedicated to getting a new team member may do the trick, or at least get things going in the right direction.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Against my better judgment, I am now watching episode 2. This series is clearly for fans of the manga, obviously clear from how badly animated episode two's cold opening was: Animate the hair, move the face/body up and down to simulate a static walk cycle. At least they know their priorities.

Jadeitie with silver stud earrings? The only one of the Four I thought had presence, was supposed to have that? Now he's right up there with Long Hair, Pony Boy {...Girl...} and Look At Ma Cape! They were meant to be the fashionably devious?

Don't worry Usagi, Luna has an ally in mind; Who she can't tell you about and that has her looking pensive for some reason.

Luna can use a computer? A mouse, I can understand but a keyboard?

Ami has an IQ of three hundred with a cumulative score of 500 but then what's the story about 499 and 498? They're just normal geniuses?

Usagi and "Melvin" are the same height in long shots but she towers over him in their combined shots.

"Hello." Ok, good opening. "Are you ok?" Was there a scene missing where Usagi ran into her, where she got hit by a passerby or attacked by a stray cat?

First the rose backdrop, now the "She's cute" with a blush; I did not realize it was that kind of shoujo.

What was the issue with "Would you like to goooo out to a game center?" line reading/cut, nee? I have the same look as Ami with that one.

No f******* way those were handed out as prizes in a game cabinet. Damn, does Luna own the arcade?

"I'll call you Ami-chan and you can call me Usagi." That's it, set up the pecking order right away. I love Best Student Council's response where the Hero tries to belittle her friend in such a way after they just meet; "Right..." No, Ami, just smile and take it, that's a girl...

Midpoint!

I can't wait until Usagi forgot she had friends other than Ami, Rei and those other ones.

...written before everyone had computers they can carry around with them, let alone home computers? They could have tried to update it.

It's the return of Tuxedo Maskless! I wonder if he has an alter ego?

Of course random button presses will work, we got a plot afoot... or something. Wait, there wasn't anything mysterious going on, the studious didn't look that overworked as compared to their real life counterparts.

Sometimes she's a nurse who looks out for your health, other times she's a middle school girl ... who's dressed like a nurse... but really she's a doctor.... skip it. Yes, that was 100% percent essential.

And now... the drum solo of anime!

Some things happen.

And, Encore!

"Douse yourself in water and repent." Are there times ... where you don't feel as fresh as you should?

"She will be our brain" and that's not meant figuratively.

Yes, we know for some reason that Tuxedo Mask has a sword, we don't have to see it. Right now, I guess...

"I wonder how we got those pens from the arcade." Luna, smugly, "I wonder too." And that's the end of that story.

She called her "Usagi-chan", I approve of that. Now, Usagi just has to call her friend "Ami-sama"...

Next time, Rei and the dumping of the rest of her "friends", I guess, save for Natsu until the "plot" doesn't need her. Wait, wasn't Usagi's other other friend also still brainwashed? To the Batcave!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
And... we're at the end of the first arc. And only halfway through the series.

I'm thinking they want to cram the entire two years of the Classic series into one 23-episode series, which causing things to be a bit....rushed.

(Even the episodes don't seem to have time to explain anything, with longer themes and longer TF sequences.
Watching Ep.3, one might ask, why exactly DOES Usagi costume-change into a stewardess? Confused In the original-series episode, she transformed into a bus attendant, as her plan to hijack the bus and get on board.
Here, it was "Okay, costume change, enough of that, let's go!"...Huh?? And still says "The safety of the passengers comes first!", even though it doesn't make as much sense for a flight attendant to say that on a bus.)

Animegomaniac wrote:
"Douse yourself in water and repent." Are there times ... where you don't feel as fresh as you should?

That's Merc's line, from the original series and comic. I didn't write it.

(Although Mars isn't introducing herself as "Mars of the red heels".)
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
My question: how did I get roped into watching something this stupid?

I realize SM is something of an iconic series that I never saw but what are they trying to do here with this remake? Bust through the floor of everyone's low expectations because they can? Are there some clothes on this Emperor that I just can't see?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

I realize SM is something of an iconic series that I never saw but what are they trying to do here with this remake? Bust through the floor of everyone's low expectations because they can? Are there some clothes on this Emperor that I just can't see?

It's supposed to be the 20th Anniversary, to revive the marketing after being silenced for seven years, and the fact that they don't want to show the old SD series on HD channels.

Other than that, umm.. Confused
(I'm with the folks who say "Who cares, as long as we got the old series back on disk!")
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Watching Ep.3, one might ask, why exactly DOES Usagi costume-change into a stewardess? Confused In the original-series episode, she transformed into a bus attendant, as her plan to hijack the bus and get on board.
Here, it was "Okay, costume change, enough of that, let's go!"...Huh?? And still says "The safety of the passengers comes first!", even though it doesn't make as much sense for a flight attendant to say that on a bus.)

Yeah ... there's a reason the costume changing pen eventually doesn't get used much (if WikiMoon is to be believed, it's only used 5 times in the manga and only once after chapter 4). Usagi does change into a stewardess in the manga as well, for the same reasons. Her mind just works differently ... or something.

And the goal of the remake is, I believe, to have a significantly more faithful adaptation of the original manga. So far, this has resulted mainly in a greater focus on the actual plot, rather than a whole bunch of monster of the week filler episodes. Rei wasn't introduced until episode 10 of the original series.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
I don't know how I feel about the show playing the yuri card, though. Sure, Rei is a beautiful girl, but I'm not sure about Usagi swooning over her like that. I wonder how she'll react when Sailor V arrives on the scene, which shouldn't be too long from now at this pace.

Eh, didn't you know?

Every female character in the SM manga is bi. Laughing

I kid. (though some of Takeuchi's art can be....questionable.)

It's more like when a little girl is admiring a beautiful model like "oooh pretty, I want to be just like her!" not "oooh hot, I wanna be her girlfriend!"

Usagi just admires.......well, everyone, actually. Everyone who is pretty, be it male or female. But the only one she wants to have babies with is Mamoru. Razz

Rei's henshin is the best of the three so far. Pretty good effects.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Watching Crystal just reminds me of the problem I had with the manga, the pacing feels way too brisk and fast and characters die just as quick as they are introduced.

Some people complain about all the filler the first anime added, but what they call filler I call development. We got a few episodes of showing how Usagi fought alone before Ami joined. Then we got a batch of episodes where Usagi and Ami interacted and started working together on missions. Ami was an incredibly useful addition due to her intelligence since Usagi was pretty dumb, Then when Rei joins, they get another offensive member, and showcase some team quarreling as Rei and Usagi would argue. So on and so on

Basically it built up the team mechanics quite nice and developed the girls and their relationships and felt more natural. Which is something that always seemed weird when I read the manga later on and suddenly we have 3 girls in 3 chapters.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Some people complain about all the filler the first anime added, but what they call filler I call development.

The problem is that their often wasn't that much development. The episodes with Usagi as Sailor Moon alone are painful for me to watch - in fact, when I did watch the first season of the original in Japanese, I eventually started skipping every episode that was cut from the English broadbast because they just didn't matter to anyone's story.

I agree that the manga's pacing is too fast at times but the original anime was WAY too slow. Which is probably one reason I currently consider the live-action to have been the best version of the Sailor Moon story because it found the happy medium.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
*high fives marie-antoinette for tokusatsu love*
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Good episode. I liked how they introduced some of the main antagonists. I think the spoiler[Sailor Scouts might get some help next time though with Jupiter. The action was okay I guess this episode. It felt a bit fast though. The Tuexdo and Usagi moments were classic.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:30 am Reply with quote
I don't exactly want more filler and I am glad Rei isn't constantly being annoyed at Usagi but I do think the manga storyline focused too much on Usagi at times to the detriment of the other girls development.

Never saw the live action version though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Bad touch! Bad Touch!
The spoiler[reasonably tall and thus most likely older Tuxedo mask just kissed the young girl while she was asleep]. That exact same thing happened in another show recently, and I am quite sure was portrayed as a little creepy.

Also, why was Luna looking at spoiler[Mamoru Chiba? What does he have to do with the sailor scouts? I did not even see him in the episode, the closest person that looked like him was Tuxedo Mask]. I feel like I am missing something.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 4

Bad touch! Bad Touch!
The spoiler[reasonably tall and thus most likely older Tuxedo mask just kissed the young girl while she was asleep]. That exact same thing happened in another show recently, and I am quite sure was portrayed as a little creepy.

It's only a three year difference....plus it happens a lot in shoujo manga, being a popular 'preteen girl's fantasy'....that likely became a thing because of fairy tales like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty.

It was not meant to be creepy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 18