• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Frustrating Anime Cliffhangers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Each of those clauses is added in a grammatically-acceptable way. Actually, a run-on sentence has nothing to do with length. They can be short, for example this is one.

*shakes his fist in anger* Dang it, even when I'm trying to make a point, I end up doing it wrong by doing it right! Now I feel... empty inside.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, thank god I never watched Tokko then. If I wouldn't even have a completed manga to turn to, I'd actually be upset after watching something like that. At least Berserk is still on-going.
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
it's so that said adaptation can make money in its own right.

They don't, though
Look at Nichijou, which sold like 2k but drastically increased sales of the manga
Mondaiji did the same thing
This is how late-night anime adaptations work, they're about raising awareness of an already-existing product
Top Gun wrote:
having an anime series serve as nothing more than a glorified commercial for some other product is extremely creatively-bankrupt

Yep!
But that's the way things are
Obviously there are exceptions but in most cases, adaptations aren't about doing something creative
Top Gun wrote:
At least come up with something resembling a coherent ending.

Or! You could learn Japanese
Just saying
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Kaisos Erranon wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
it's so that said adaptation can make money in its own right.

They don't, though
Look at Nichijou, which sold like 2k but drastically increased sales of the manga
Mondaiji did the same thing
This is how late-night anime adaptations work, they're about raising awareness of an already-existing product

Well then maybe it's time for anime productions to start considering a different model. The current one is certainly increasingly-insular and will be unavoidably hamstrung by Japan's burgeoning demographics crisis. There's no fundamental reason why a good adaptation shouldn't be able to turn a profit in its own right, and to not even attempt to do so is just absurd.

Quote:
Top Gun wrote:

Just saying

Yes learning a language I have absolutely no interest in just to consume some entertainment is totally a practical idea!

(And again this ignores the issue that one shouldn't have to change media in order to get some sense of resolution, even if it is temporary.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Kaisos Erranon wrote:
Obviously there are exceptions but in most cases, adaptations aren't about doing something creative
Top Gun wrote:

Just saying

So...you think people should be fine with it if say, the last hour of the last Harry Potter movie was never filmed and they just left it there, since, you know, they can just read the books? Without even learning a second language!

And I think you'd meet some vociferous objection if you told the cast and crew they weren't doing anything more creative than making an ad for the novels. I think even Japanese anime adapters would be offended if you told them that to their face.

Just saying.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Like when Hollywood decides to make a film adaptation of a certain comic or book series or TV show or what have you, it isn't meant simply as a way to sell more of that original source material (though that's usually a side effect)

For comic books, that really isn't the case.

From what I know, the comic book movie scenario is different. Marvel Studios found a formula. Iron Man pretty much came out of nowhere...and that went on to fund many movies for them. Some of that money is funneled into the comic side of this, which actually doesn't make heaps of money (in terms of profits). Disney purchased Marvel due to their movies.

The comics are a great way to hold onto IP and generate story ideas that could have plot points used in the movies (Cap 2 took from stories that are around 5-10 years old and Avengers 2 is named after an event series that is less than 2 years old).

For a long time, Marvel made most of it's money off it's IP. Cartoons, movies, toys and other merchandise was how it was done. We had a boom in the 90s when a comic series could sell around 1mil per issue, but that eventually lead to Marvel's bankruptcy.

Now, Marvel has control over some of their cartoons and movies. And, they're probably regretting letting the movie rights X-Men and Spider-Man go elsewhere.

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
Srsly guys
Most of the series you've mentioned are adaptations of ongoing LNs or manga and as a result serve mostly as advertisements for those things, so that the intended Japanese audience will go and buy the source material if they wanna know what happens next
If y'all take that perspective, the only really disappointing endings are those of anime-original series...

Personally, this isn't something that I can buy into. Not only as a concept, but literally...there are many times when I can't go out and buy the manga that an anime is based on because no manga license is purchased by a company in the west.

I don't read scanlations (personal preference), so when an anime adaption doesn't have it's source material translated...that's it for me. Leaving me disappointed.

Don't have the time to be spend learning a 3rd language in order to enjoy something that is just entertainment. While some may think that I can't complain because I'm not doing everything I can in order to follow the source material...I think having to learn another language would take the enjoyment away from something that I watch/read for fun and stress relief.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
There's no fundamental reason why a good adaptation shouldn't be able to turn a profit in its own right, and to not even attempt to do so is just absurd.

On the contrary there are many good reasons why adaptations may not be profitable on their own, the first of which is the small niche that constitutes Japanese buyers of physical media. Take Shin Sekai Yori, for instance. I don't know how well A-1 adapted the award-winning novel, but the show itself was pretty darn good. Nevertheless the Blu-ray averaged only some 600 copies per release. With no real merchandising options, how exactly was this show going to make a profit?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
There's no fundamental reason why a good adaptation shouldn't be able to turn a profit in its own right, and to not even attempt to do so is just absurd.

On the contrary there are many good reasons why adaptations may not be profitable on their own, the first of which is the small niche that constitutes Japanese buyers of physical media. Take Shin Sekai Yori, for instance. I don't know how well A-1 adapted the award-winning novel, but the show itself was pretty darn good. Nevertheless the Blu-ray averaged only some 600 copies per release. With no real merchandising options, how exactly was this show going to make a profit?

That's where the idea of "alternative business models" comes into play. Right now the non-family-oriented anime industry has all its eggs in a single basket: create and broadcast shows at a loss, in order to gain a profit from merchandise and obscenely-priced home video sales. It's constantly milking that same saturated fanbase, which certainly doesn't have infinite money, instead of pursuing more mainstream avenues. Why is it that so many series are targeted to those overnight airings when almost no one is watching, which even then require the producers to actually pay for the broadcast? Why not instead go after a more widespread ad-supported model like most Western television, where the broadcasts essentially pay for themselves, and merchandise/home-media sales are just icing on the cake? Obviously not every series can operate that way, but there has to be greater potential out there that isn't being tapped. Basically I'm wondering where the Japanese equivalent of [adult swim] is: a more niche programming block that's still supported by ads and reaches enough homes to pull in good ratings for its timeslots. There just seems to be this fundamental disconnect between the way the industry operates now, and the way in which one finds success in television as an entire medium.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote:
Srsly guys
Most of the series you've mentioned are adaptations of ongoing LNs or manga and as a result serve mostly as advertisements for those things, so that the intended Japanese audience will go and buy the source material if they wanna know what happens next
If y'all take that perspective, the only really disappointing endings are those of anime-original series...

That seems like a really ass-backwards way of looking at an adaptation, though. Like when Hollywood decides to make a film adaptation of a certain comic or book series or TV show or what have you, it isn't meant simply as a way to sell more of that original source material (though that's usually a side effect)...it's so that said adaptation can make money in its own right. And I know circumstances are different in Japan, what with the same production companies overseeing all aspects of a franchise's marketing, and the financials of late-night broadcasts, and what have you, but having an anime series serve as nothing more than a glorified commercial for some other product is extremely creatively-bankrupt, not to mention rather short-sighted in terms of generating additional revenue streams. I'm not interested in manga, and most novel sources are nigh-impossible to find in translated form, so I want the adaptations I watch to be able to stand on their own two feet, even if they don't adapt every part of the original work. At least come up with something resembling a coherent ending.

Only the most popular manga/LN would get adaptation if that happend.

Say goodbye to most tv anime series, because they simply won't be worth the risk. We would go back to the amount of tv shows the '80s got per year, instead of 150+ we are getting now.

Want your favourite anime to continue? buy the BDs, merch, the source etc.. They won't fully adapt something if its not profitable. If you can't do not, you'll just have to settle with the original source, because the late night business model won't get changed to appeal to westerns.

Just a side note, American and Japanese television work differently, you can't compare the 2 like you're doing in your posts. Not to forgot that only kids and family shows can survive on ratings on prime-time television.
scriver058

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Soooo... No one at all thinks the ending of Cowboy Bebop is even kinda ambiguous in terms of spoiler[Spike's ultimate fate? Last I remember, 2 great warriors died at the end, yet only one star went out. I know there's a few things in previous eps and in the final ep to suggest (even heavily) that Spike indeed ate it, but I do think about all the times that Spike should have definitely died in the series and even the movie, so cheating death yet again wouldn't be a surprise. And as been mentioned before, Shinichiro Watanabe has been coy about Spike's ultimate fate, so it kinda seems like to me one of those endings where it's left up to the viewer to decide.]

My addition to this list is an anime I'm all but certain no one will know: Samurai Gun. Despite it's problems, I found it entertaining and the concept intriguing: a secretive anti Shogunate group using automatic weapons that aren't supposed to exist for quite a while longer. The series ended with the main character being carried off somewhere after a tough battle and then nothing. The detailed liner notes that came with each volume illuminated some things about the story and the manga it was based off, but I haven't found anything about it online.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
scriver058,

Regarding Cowboy Bebop: While you may feel that spoiler[Spike's death is ambiguous, your view in in the distinct minority. Short of a doctor pronouncing him dead at the scene, or something equally dramatic, it's made pretty clear that Spike is dead. Laughing Bull was pretty direct with what he told Jet, and the final scene in the credits is a direct reference to that conversation. Also, if it were really ambiguous, then there would be a much more even split in how people view his fate, but there's not.]

You're free to believe what you want, of course, but you should know that you're very much in the minority your viewpoint.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
For the record, the ending of Berserk is fine. In fact, it's downright good. Especially if you basically ignore the first episode. The whole Golden Age arc stands fine on its own. What happens next is fairly immaterial. And what happens during the eclipse is perfectly tonally and thematically consistent with the rest of the series. It's the perfect culmination of Griffith's ambition and his relationship with Guts.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
The end of the Berserk series was like watching Empire Strikes Back, but with no movie after that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:33 am Reply with quote
Sango chan wrote:
Another two annoying Cliff hangers were

Bakuretsu Tenshi (Burst Angel) and Venus Versus Virus.

If its any consolation, Funimation's ova release includes a mini music video thing that seems to show what would have happened if the series continued spoiler[New mechas, Meg in a red jacket driving Django, Amy older in an airport, the guy in front of a castle, some new female enemy, and what looks like a spaceship thing that serves as their mobile base]. That said, its only about 2 minutes long. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqVF1d41XI8 (quality aint great, but...)

I haven't watched it but I heard Shigurui's anime just sorta...ends.

My most frustrating ones are Btoom and Highschool of the Dead. Both crazy action animes, both gloriously animated by Madhouse, both badass, both based on manga, and both animes incomplete. Btoom spoiler[they escape? Or they try to, but we never actually see if they do. And what about all the other players? and the guy in charge seemed to be up to something at the very end.] How far is the manga? And for HOTDspoiler[ badass gun aimed at the camera. so then they made it to a mall. Now what? Dead Rising? Dawn of the Dead?] I don't mind not knowing what caused the zombies though. Whats important is surviving, not really finding the answers.

Gainax also trolled us hard with Panty and Stocking. Unbreakable Machine Doll also ends on a ciffhanger, but that one's new enough that it'll hopefully be continued.

Lastly Elfen Lied. Ironically, I didn't mind that it spoiler[didn't show who was at the door. For some reason what irked me was that Kouta didn't even reach the door to open it. The clock started ringing, he stops, turns, says something, the end. Stupid nitpick, but for some reason I'd feel more satisfied if it ended with him at least putting his hand on the door handle. I don't know why. ]
woah, long post.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:57 am Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
Story of Saiunkoku - only two seasons were made and season two ended up on a cliffhanger. The U.S. only got season 1, I keep hoping that season 2 will be licensed, but I want the original cast who did season 1 to return.

The really sucky part is that while we will probably never get season 2 of the anime, and we'll definitely never get the original light novels, we *did* get the excellent manga adaptation...the one that goes for about 9 total volumes covering about the first season's worth of material and then...just...stops. Why? Why would they do that? Why would they only adapt part of a popular shojo light novel series to manga? Why would Viz release them in English when they have *no intention* of ever bringing the light novels here? Ugh! Meanwhile, there are tons of variations of Alice in the Country of... manga adaptations if anyone's interested.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9