• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do people hate Dubs so much?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
[quote]1) It came from reliable sources (YTV's website, and if I remember correctly ANN mentioned some stuff about it). And it was spread pretty widely throughout the internet. Narutards are just too dense to notice, and unfortunately Narutards are an unusually powerful group in anime fandom who could easily confuse everyone else by sending mixed messages. [/quote

I'm sure many people visit YTV's website. Dozens. I'm sure they're reliable, but they wouldn't likely be the primary source for any information a Naruto fan comes across. I don't remember ANN referencing it, but it's possible.

Quote:
And anyway, editting and dubbing are 2 entirely different issues. Any gripes you have with editting don't belong in this thread.

The points I made relating to the visual editing were only ancilary to my main points, some people happened to pick at them instead of the main points though, since they're apparently easier to pick at. YOU can feel free to stick to my comments on the dubding if you feel staying on topic is so important.

Quote:
I think that the dub pales to the original as well and admittedly Naruto's VA is a bit annoying at times. But even then that's just one dub and shouldn't be used to represent all dubs.

Of course not, it's merely an example.

Quote:

3) It might be normal for Japanese viewers to hear constant repetitive catchphrases. It might also be normal for Japanese viewers to accept inflatable testicles as part of a serious drama and to find mannequines talking to be comedic gold. That doesn't mean that it's good.

Of course not, but if it's fine by the Japanese, then it's fine for the Japanese version to have those things, while if it's not fine for the Americans, then it hurts the American versionto sort of wedge those things into it. It's really hard to explain properly if you don't get the linguistic differences between English and Japanese, which apparently you do not, so please just accept my word for it.

Quote:
If you think it's good, fine, you can dislike dubs. But you seem to be dissatisfied because you seem to be saying "Dubs should be better!", and if your admitting that dubs can never live up to what you'd want just stop watching dubs entirely and don't post in these threads.

The thread topic was "why do people hate dubs so much?", I was giving a good reason why. I didn't start the thread, but why shouldn't I participate when I have information relevant to the thread? I don't think it's possible for dubs of most series to live up to the original, it's a steep up-hill battle for a non-native language version of a program to match the quality of the original, and it's unrealistic to expect it to happen more than once out of twenty or thirty series'.

I don't require that the dubs that I watch be the same quality as the original, because I've already seen the original, and I'm willing to watch dubs if they're on. I have no need or interest in stopping watching dubs, but nor do I see reason not to educate people on what they're missing by relying on them as their sole source of anime.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
So you don't think it sounds stupid and annoying? I do. Oh, and "Believe it!" is by no means a translation of dattebayo.

Okay, so if it's not right, does anyone have something better? Omitting it completely take out a large part of his speaking "style" from the original, and we all know that we want dubs to be authentic. If you want my take on it, I made a post here about the issue, though I don't claim to have more authority than anyone else.
S8C

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
It's personal preference. I prefer subs over dubs 90% of the time.* I prefer subs because for one it is how it is intended to be seen by the people that made it. And two, I feel that alot of the time dubs are very corny sounding. ESPECIALLY after first watching something in Japanese. And lastly, cmon, it's much cooler watching anime in it's native original language. And it sounds 20x cooler.

But in the end, to each his/her own.

*The exception being if i'm cleaning and want to throw on anime as background noise. But if i'm actually watching something, it's gonna be in subbed form.
Efan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote
Just for the record, could someone give me a definition and example of a "Narutard"?
YUGI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
I watch anime as its intended. In its original Japanese language with no subtitles. The creators did not want subtitles in there original vision.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Okay, so if it's not right, does anyone have something better?

As I said, I think "dattebayo" would have at least been a better, if not perfect solution. At least then it would come across as a distinctly foreign gramatical concept, rather than an English phrase that seems completely shoehorned into the dialog. Short of that, they could accept the contextual nature of the Japanese language and instead of consistantly replacing "dattebayo" with a single "catch phrase", they could just add emphasis to each sentence that originaly contained dattebayo in a way that flows naturally in English. For example, instead of saying "I'm going to become the Hokage, Believe it!", he could say something like "I'm deffinitely going to be the Hokage!", or "I'm going to be the Hokage, for sure!", or even, "I AM going to be the Hokage!", just whatever happens to fit in the particular sentence in question.

Quote:
Just for the record, could someone give me a definition and example of a "Narutard"?

Main Entry: 1Na·ru·tard
Function: noun
1 /Na·ru·tard/ :fans of the show Naruto that haters hate on:
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:26 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is about the whole "Believe it!" thing. About 90% of the time it fits just fine, and from what I've seen so far it suits Naruto's attitude quite well.

Of course, I've only seen the CN broadcasts, so I have no original Japanese version to compare it against (yet).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:42 am Reply with quote
Dattebayo basically means, "That's what I said," or "what it is". So Naruto constantly EXCLAIMING DATTEBAYO(!) is appropriately translated into Believe it.

I'm DEFINITELY going to become the Hokage doesn't have the same effect since Naruto is Naruto, since Naruto likes to overreact, exaggerate, and over-exclaim everything. So he'd be more like,

I'M DEFINITELY GOING TO BECOME THE BEST HOKAGE OF ALL TIME! BELIEVE IT!!!!
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:19 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
The thread topic was "why do people hate dubs so much?", I was giving a good reason why. I didn't start the thread, but why shouldn't I participate when I have information relevant to the thread? I don't think it's possible for dubs of most series to live up to the original, it's a steep up-hill battle for a non-native language version of a program to match the quality of the original, and it's unrealistic to expect it to happen more than once out of twenty or thirty series'.

I don't require that the dubs that I watch be the same quality as the original, because I've already seen the original, and I'm willing to watch dubs if they're on. I have no need or interest in stopping watching dubs, but nor do I see reason not to educate people on what they're missing by relying on them as their sole source of anime.

It's fine for you to participate in this thread. I was just misunderstanding you. I thought you were trying to say "I wish dubs were better" (which you were contradicting yourself with in some of your later points), instead of "I generally don't like dubs because of these reasons" (which is more sensible and in fact you absolutely should be posting in a thread like this). Sorry about that. I think we're pretty much even now.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote
YUGI wrote:
The creators did not want subtitles in there original vision.

How many creators have told you this ? Regardless, I can say thatyou're probably right, the original intent of any show is most likely for the viewer to be concentrating their eyes on the on-screen visuals (the animation itself in this case) and using their ears to hear the audio.

Since you apparrently understand Japanese, you're very lucky and can watch anime in its pure, original format.

S8C wrote:
I prefer subs because for one it is how it is intended to be seen by the people that made it.

See above for why I disagree with you.

The problem comes down tot he fact that the average North American can not enjoy anime in its unaltered format. They require either dubs or sub.

A dub should allow them to enjoy the anime in the format closer to what the original creators intended (although I doubt the original creators even thought much about the issue).

In that sense, subtitles would be inferior.

The question is always, "how good is the English dub?" and "how much better is the original Japanese dub?" Most people who think the original Japanese dub is better aren't in any position to comment, because they don't understand it. They're comparing the English dub to what they imagine to be the quality of the Japanese dub.

I must admit, I prefer to watch all foreign cinema in its original language with subtitles. But this is pure preference, not some misguided belief that subtitles are superior to to a properly produced English dub.

This preference extends to anime, but I also watch many anime dubbed. Some of the dubs are very good, some are very bad, and most are somewhere in between.

-t
hanachan01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:53 am Reply with quote
I'm probably one of the few people who do this, but unless I really, really hate the dub, I'll watch both for the first few episodes, then she what I like. Usually, I end up liking both, so I watch both, such as when I watch FMA or Fruba. It also depends on my mood. Sometimes I want to hear Japanese, sometimes English. Of course, there are some dubs I stop watching after the first episode- anything 4kids (I'm a Yu-Gi-Oh and One Piece fan, and I watch the uncut DVDs and fansubs) and Gravitation (The script was very good, but I hated Shuichi's voice in the dub, and I'm a huge Tomokazu Seki fan!) are the only ones I can think of now...but yeah, I'm an equal opportunist Razz
YUGI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Tempest, actually Monkey Punch was exstatic for his works to be in english. I met him in 2004, and talked about his works in a sincere passion. He told me that the dub was pretty good for the little english he knows. He also has a huge mad magazine collection from the 50's and 60's.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

A dub should allow them to enjoy the anime in the format closer to what the original creators intended (although I doubt the original creators even thought much about the issue).

Not true. The show was originally produced in Japanese. The only difference between a sub and the original version is some small words across the bottom of the scene. The difference between the original and a dub is usually at least minor rewriting for timing and mouth flaps, and a completely different vocal performance. That is a much more significant difference in production.

Quote:

The question is always, "how good is the English dub?" and "how much better is the original Japanese dub?" Most people who think the original Japanese dub is better aren't in any position to comment, because they don't understand it. They're comparing the English dub to what they imagine to be the quality of the Japanese dub.

This is also untrue. You don't have to understand Japanese to judge the quality of Japnese dubbing, any more than you need to understand English to judge the quality of English dubbing. Understanding of the language itself is tertiary to the qualities that matter when judging performance. You can judge the vocal performance of someone perfectly well whether they're speaking Japanese, English, or Sim, it much more about timing and emotion than it is about the words themselves.
Amuro_chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Dubs suck because no matter how good the dubs are, it can never be as good as the original. When you go from one language to another, some things will always be lost in translation because not every country share she same culture influences, language slangs, etc. So impossible to translate something with 100% accuracy without losing any of the aforementioned elements.
patch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
YUGI wrote:
The creators did not want subtitles in there original vision.

How many creators have told you this ? Regardless, I can say thatyou're probably right, the original intent of any show is most likely for the viewer to be concentrating their eyes on the on-screen visuals (the animation itself in this case) and using their ears to hear the audio.

Very good point here, I think some "dub haters" disregard this fact.

To give an example, some friends of mine didn't like GiTS: Stand Alone Complex at all, saying there was too much dialogue. The ones who say this I would definitly put in the "dub haters" category. When I ask them to give a dub a try since it is a really good series, they simply refuse. In this case, I do feel that reading the subtitles instead of listening to dialouge and focusing on the amazing animation/visuals, you really are missing out on what the series creators intended. Besides, a series like Stand Alone Complex there is alot of 'communication' going on over the net. Even when there is actual speaking most of the time the characters mouths are not shown so I feel the dialogue is very fluid and natural and the "lip flap" arguement is basically moot.

Again don't get me wrong there are definitely plenty bad english dubs that I refuse to watch over the original japanese language dub, but I guess I would consider myself a dubfectionist -- love the term btw Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11