• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hyouka (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:09 am Reply with quote
It bugs me that we never get to see Oreki's sister's full face. Whut up with that?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Juumoji turned out to be pretty elusive.
At least the anthology was selling really well now.
spoiler[Oreki's sister traded him something interesting.]
Chitanda and her curiosity... ^^"
spoiler[That manga sure brought out a lot of curiosity.
Looks like it had a lot more to do with the Juumoji case than previously thought.]

Episode 17

Juumoji vs Classics club.
spoiler[Chitanda's hosting on a radio show really fired things up!
Well, at least their anthology was selling now.
Even they got hit in the end. There was no avoiding it.
All that didn't sidetrack Oreki one bit. That guy's a genius.
It's amazing how he figured out the real culprit = Tanabe.
Using him to dump the anthologies was brilliant too.]
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
i don't understand what the hell was wrong with Ibara and the manga club. can anyone enlighten me please?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
It's not difficult. The debate was over whether objective quality can exist or if it is in the eye of the beholder. The snooty girl was annoyed that one of the other girls she knew had made a Doujin of exceptional quality without even trying, A Corpse by Evening (or whatever it was called). That's why she was upset and bitchy, and why she fell silent when that very Doujin was used as an example of objective quality. She knew in heart that objective quality exists but she didn't want to accept it, so she pretended it didn't.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
i don't understand what the hell was wrong with Ibara and the manga club. can anyone enlighten me please?

Imagine that you have a strong passion toward some sport or art or whatnot. Now imagine that you spend hours upon hours every single day of your life to try and improve at this particular skill. One day, there is some sort of way to measure your current skill against that of others. The objective results show that after expending so much effort to improve, there is one person who is far and away superior to you, however that person never even takes the matter seriously and was only doing it for fun.

The above situation, and how characters choose to deal with the situation, is basically the crux for the entire Kanya Festival arc of Hyouka. Ibara's conflict with Ayako was over whether a manga can have any sort of objective grade of quality, specifically if a manga could be deemed a 'masterpiece'. Mayaka of course as a lover of manga feels that there are masterpieces, and that a reader would know its a masterpiece once he or she read it. Whereas Ayako curiously boldly states that the only thing that matters for a manga's worth is the reader's reaction to it.

A very odd position for someone in the manga club to have. It's not until the end of the arc that we finally get the information behind Ayako's reasoning. I'll just quote from the episode itself since it does a good enough job:
Quote:
It just won't leave me be. I haven't read [A Corpse by Evening]. I stopped half-way. Do you know why?

You said that I'd know it [was a masterpiece] when I read it, right? You're right, I did. I knew. But who'd want to admit it? What would you do? If you had a friend who didn't really read manga, and she decided to write one, and then she comes up with that. You've got to be kidding. That's why it's sitting in my closet, in a box, at the very back. So I never have to see it, and so I can say that there are no masterpieces. But it keeps coming back to haunt me.

The reason for the quarrel was the same reason behind everything in the arc. It was out of desperation that somebody who didn't even try or cared at all about what they did was able top the very best that a character had expended so much effort to make.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
thank guys. i had a feeling that was what was going on. probably shouldn't have watched this at 11pm. been a long day and im mentally exhausted, so my comprehension abilities are severely lacking right now
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
An interesting point is that has been a fairly big part of the series. Like how Satoshi has been getting so frustrated over Houtarou being able to easily figure things out, but he puts so much effort in and is outdone.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
Yep, it's also pretty much the talk that Irisu uses to get Oreki to slightly alter his energy conserving way of life. It's definitely one of the main motifs that Hyouka has had, but it is most prominent so far during the Kanya Festival arc.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 18

spoiler[Ogi and helicopters - the hidden truth.]
Looks like they're back to their old patterns.
spoiler[Oreki being curious? Now that's a new one.
The library visit with Chitanda was kinda nice.]

That girl sure is interested easily.
Well, at least they found out what really happened.
It was a pretty interesting story too.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 18

Oh no, he must really be sick, spoiler[going out of his way to actually do something, I like the over reaction was kind of expected.] I enjoyed his imagine spots of spoiler[them both riding the bike, he was missing out on something nice, but we know him enough to see that he was not going to let that happen.]

I kind of thought they were stretching the reveal a bit far as it was kind of obvious where he was going when spoiler[they saw the fact there was a problem with rescues that day.]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
It was an interesting tale. I guess the point is that while Oreki doesn't especially care for being responsible, he can't stand being saying something irresponsible, even if it is a relatively minor misunderstanding.

It makes sense when you consider his strong negative reaction to being fooled into writing the end of the movie, as he felt he was irresponsibly misrepresenting the screenwriter's intent, but It seems to slightly clash with him completely lying to Chitanda in the early episode, with his made up story about the secret message on the club board. I guess his reasoning might be since he completely made it up it doesn't actually affect anyone,

The beginning tricked me to a wrong idea though. I thought the helicopter flying so close was weird and that it might have been his globe-trotting sister buzzing the school as a goodbye before wandering off again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 19

spoiler[The announcement thing.
I'm still amazed how they managed to complicate the hell out of it.
Speculating and guessing means nothing unless you can prove it.
Well, Oreki is always lucky enough to guess things correctly in the first try.
He and Chitanda sure had some interesting theories though.
Wonder if he'll be successful this time as well?
Looks like he did it again, just amazing!
Their awkward romantic moment was nice ^^ shame it was so short..]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Come on, bring on the Chitanda - Oreki romance, sez I! It aways cracks me up when they animate Chitanda getting up and hurrying out her chair like she did to stand beside Oreki. I wish he wasn't such a typical Anime Male Character who either never notices when a femme digs him or is too shy/embarrassed/scared to act on it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
See, that one confused me. I know spoiler[Halloween has been getting slowly more popular in Japan and it was dealing with a nice older couple with a shop that caters largely to elementary school students, so I just suspected that it had something to do with the holiday. LIke they were handing out bad treats or they wanted witnesses to something that happened at an event there. But it wasn't even mentioned in passing by either of them.] I kept figuring that Oreki was purposefully making up a wild story and would reveal at the end that he knew it had something to do with spoiler[October 31 being Halloween.] I guess it was just a red herring for the watchers?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
*Done in a sing song voice*
Houtarou and Chintanda sitting in the club room, D E T E C TIVE ING
First come I am curious, then I don't waste energy, then comes the theory sitting in the carriage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11