• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Attack on Titan Tops Most Disappointing Movie Ranking

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
If you want to make your own story, then make you own damn story. Don't take something that already has a story and "adapt it" to "you vision". If you're adapting a manga, STICK TO THE DAMN STORY. This goes for movies and anime. I'm still salty about BeeTrain violating the Tsubasa manga. And I will never forgive GONZO for Rosario+Vampire.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueZ6tvqhk8U

spoiler[Is Whiplash on there due to Teller?]
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Haven't heard anything at all apart from revenue about the second part, so I sort of assumed it did terribly.
PercivaI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Whiplash? Really? How'd that even make the list?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Tomorrow Land and Chappy are on the list?

Ironically, they were some of my favorite films this year. This year was pretty bad in terms of film though, can't say I'm surprised about the overlap.
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
What the hell? Whiplash!????
Are there a lot of jazz players in Japan, because I'd understood if they got disappointed?

Maybe they don't like devil instructors (oh please Japan is known for ridiculousness)

Or was it J.K Simmons? (he's awesome!)

I don't understand, why???? Hahahha I honestly love the film, along with Grand Budapest and Birdman.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah right, why the hate on Whiplash? That movie is incredible.

Not quite their tempo?
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
The only one on this list I even saw was Tomorrowland, and it was definitely a disappointment. The trailers made it look awesome and then the movie was just...meh.

Even though it sounds like the AoT movies took a really nasty turn, you can pretty much expect that anything that hyped up that already exists in another format to disappoint a lot of people. Avatar the Airbender movie, anyone? (which seemed like a decent enough movie to me, since I hadn't followed the series, but boy were my friends up in arms over that one)
hurafloyd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
If you want to make your own story, then make you own damn story. Don't take something that already has a story and "adapt it" to "you vision". If you're adapting a manga, STICK TO THE DAMN STORY. This goes for movies and anime. I'm still salty about BeeTrain violating the Tsubasa manga. And I will never forgive GONZO for Rosario+Vampire.

I get what you mean mate, but that is why they are called an "anime adaption", as disappointing sometimes they end up. 80% of the anime production in a year (those are my own rough estimates Razz) are adaptations from LN, VN or manga, the rest are original productions or projects that sadly dont put up much of a fight.
Mature-Kun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Whiplash?

Ugh. The Japanese have terrible taste. You actually have to be cultured to appreciate Whiplash.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
@DmonHiro: The problem with making original movie ideas is that they are gambling on something that doesn't have an already established audience. From a business standpoint, that is dangerous. So, it would seem naturally they want to do their their own artist.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen or read any of the Attack on Titan anime/manga and I'm not sure if I ever will. However, based on a discussion about the first live-action movie on an episode ANNCast, I'm really interested in watching those. They actually gave it a decent amount of praise as a general horror film and for what they were able to do with their production budget. I wonder if the production value complaints come from comparing it to big budget Hollywood films, which isn't really fair.

Aside from the obviously weird inclusion of Whiplash, I'm actually most surprised to see Age of Ultron so high on the list. I personally thought the movie should meet any reasonable expectations that people could have based on previous Marvel movies.
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
pluvia33 wrote:

Aside from the obviously weird inclusion of Whiplash, I'm actually most surprised to see Age of Ultron so high on the list. I personally thought the movie should meet any reasonable expectations that people could have based on previous Marvel movies.

Looks at the first Ironman, Winter Soldier and the first Avengers and then looks at this line.

"I personally thought the movie should meet any reasonable expectations that people could have based on previous Marvel movies."

My Answer WRONG!
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
So... People cannot say "Hollywood ruins manga with their dumb adaptations!" since another side of the Pacific is guilty of doing this too. And apparently they are man enough to admit it.

Oh, and Japan, you clearly haven't seen Mortdecai, have you?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:

Oh, and Japan, you clearly haven't seen Mortdecai, have you?

You can't be disappointed by something you have no expectations for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3