• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime titles to convert a fan?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:37 am Reply with quote
What are some animes you would use to convert someone into an anime fan?

EDIT: Fine, fine. -_- picky, picky, picky Anime hyper.

Last edited by SonicRenegade84 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
RIght, well, I don't know if that opener is really strong enough to keep the thread going but I'll bite.

First off, I would definitely not pick Azumanga. Yes, there is certainly a lot with international appeal but I think someone not familiar with Japanese culture, like someone new to anime (obviously there will be exceptions of people who know about the culture but haven't watched anime but let's exclude them from the argument for now), would miss a lot of the jokes. I love the show but it just doesn't seem the best choice for introducing someone to anime (plus I know a lot of people who it would quite frankly turn off anime).

My go-to anime for new fans would be Trigun, which is one I know has been mentioned before in similar threads. Mainly because it's humor isn't specifically "Japanese" and it has an outstanding dub (IMO better than the sub). It also tells a great story and doesn't get too episodic like another series that gets mentioned a lot for this, Cowboy Bebop.

I also have shown two friends of mine who didn't watch anime much/at all X (TV) and Gunslinger Girl, and while they worked they were picked more because of the specific tastes of my friends and so I wouldn't give them a blanket recommendation when it comes to showing stuff to non-fans.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
For children, it can be the usual DBZ, Sailor Moon, etch type of anime. If they like many of them, you can gauge their taste and later on, you can find other anime similar in themes to expand them.

If one is a fan of adaptations of other works, you can try to find works you think they'll like. One of my early anime I loved was an anime I caught on a small religious network here long ago called "Little Women." I really loved watching that and didn't know it was anime at the time till I started to get a better understanding. Got me interested on other anime adaptations I might like.

Another one I can think of are the "anime that don't look like anime" thing if that person is wary of the anime stereotype. They would probably be more comfortable with things like Hello Kitty, Shin Chan, etc depending on the taste of the person.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
I'll bite as well, but I have a feeling this will get locked.

I think an excellent starter series really depends on who you're introducing to anime.

For an adult who doesn't mind paranormal stuff, I'd recommend Death Note. It's a solid series with a story that is well developed and interesting characters. It has enough paranormal stuff to keep the viewer intrigued and throws several curve balls along the way. The dub is ok but the sub titles are not too fast paced for a new-to-subs person to follow. The animation is nice and the series will probably hold up well over time.

I would recommend Trigun as well. I,too, think that it's a better starter than Cowboy Bebop simply because the plot is introduced more frequently and arcs the entire series together. At times in CBB, I felt like the main story line had completely vanished. I think having a plot that drives the series for a first time viewer is essential to hooking them. If they can step away from each episode feeling like the development for that episode was self-contained, then there would be no reason for them to continue watching, unless they wanted to see more self-contained episodes that feel more like shorts rather than a series.

I definitely do not think that Azu is a good starting point for a comedy genre. I think it's just too strange and alienating for first time viewers who really don't know what to expect of anime. I'm not sure what a good comedy recommendation would be. But, whenever I have people interested in watching some anime and they're new to it, I usually pop in Full Metal Panic Fumoffu and simply explain the general premise before the show starts. They usually have a lot of fun laughing at Sousuke's antics. And, while the mini-episodes are pretty self-contained, they have shown interest in the love theme that ties the shorts together. If they're still interested by the time it's over, I introduce them to the rest of the series and explain that it's a little more serious as it progresses. That's worked out pretty well for me over the years. I've also used Comic Party as a nice "feel good" and short introductory series. I would suggest something more like Love Hina or Ouran, but I'm skeptical of harems as introductory series - unless that's what the person is really interested in.

Card Captor Sakura is also an excellent starting point for someone of any age - it has something to offer for everyone without over developing any one aspect of the show. The main problem is finding this series and that there is no dub for the uncut version. Length is also an issue. If they're new to anime, they may not want to jump right into something over 26 episodes.

Personally, I would never recommend DBZ for someone new. There are too many side stories, spin-offs, and filler. The series stretches on for what feels like an eternity filled with screaming filler. I would think that series in particular could be a big turn-off. Again, that still depends on the viewer. If that individual wants something lengthy and doesn't mind filler and is just looking for some action, then maybe it's a great springboard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Personally, I would never recommend DBZ for someone new. There are too many side stories, spin-offs, and filler. The series stretches on for what feels like an eternity filled with screaming filler. I would think that series in particular could be a big turn-off. Again, that still depends on the viewer. If that individual wants something lengthy and doesn't mind filler and is just looking for some action, then maybe it's a great springboard.

I wonder if nowdays anyone can be turned on by DBZ. I'm a fan of this series, but I think that more than series itself the fans were turned on by atmosphere when everyone was watching that thrilling "violent-and-obscene-chinaese-cartoon". What was going on on the scerren of TV was surely less important than what was talking about it.

And about series for beginners: not once I've written that I hate all forms of "converting" and nothing piss me off more than statement that I must watch something that will change my life forever. That doesn't mean I'm not happy when someone asks me for advice, but in that case I recommend things according to my knowledge of someone's tastes. The most specified advice was given for fan of Art Nouveau who was looking for series with graphic inspirited by this style.
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:27 am Reply with quote
Hmm this sounds interesting.

I think it really depends on the specific tastes of the person your trying to convert. Cater to them. That's the most effective way, in my opinion. So I've kind of built a recommendation system around stereotypes and generalizations.

Fantasy Fans: 12 Kingdoms, Berserk, Moribito
Sci-Fi Fans: Noein, Planetes,
Action Fans: Black Lagoon, Cowboy Bebop, Darker than Black
Filmies: Millennium Actress (Actually everything by Satoshi Kon), Memories
Philosophy lovers:Kino's Journey, Casshern Sins, Haibane Renmei, Monster
etc..

I attempt to keep out anything with fan service, anything sexual, anything too Japanese, anything with crazy animation, etc... I also usually try to stay away from anything that has been shown on adult swim or toonami, as well.

I used to screen anything Ghibli, but with the exception of Princess Mononoke and maybe Nausicaa , they just write it off as Disney stuff and can't take it seriously as representative of anime.

Overall, I've found that the easiest group of people to "covert" are fantasy fans and sci-fi fans, since live action movies and television have pretty slim pickings in the quality department.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote
Despite the epic weakness of the original post, I will allow the thread to stand, as the responses have been good and the topic is a decent one. I am adjusting the thread name, however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I used to think a great title would be a great recommendation to anyone... but then I realized that not everyone enjoys nearly everything (as in genres) like I do.

For me that'd have to be a dark series (regardless of its genre). My converters were Chrono Crusade and Trinity Blood. They start off as pretty light series, but soon start getting heavier.
Back then I watched both about 4 times each in a few months. Chrono Crusade's ending nearly killed me, and Trinity Blood really made me want more (more Trinity Blood would be awesome, indeed).
I don't think they'd have the same effect these days. Not after 400 titles.
Nowadays if I do happen to drop anime, I'd have to be another quality dark series to get me back in. For example, Darker Than Black 3, Berserk retelling/remake/sequel, and so on. Although that's an impossibility.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
My recommendation of course would depend in the individual.

I show almost everyone Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayl OVA. It is one of my most favorite pieces of anime and easily depicts to new viewers that anime is just not cartoons. Trust and Betrayl takes itself very seriously and portrays an excellent story of romance and action. I personally would not recommend the dub though. Violence is very graphic.

Since someone already mentioned Death Note I will suggest Code Geass. It also kind of has a Death Note like feel with how the powers work and it has a solid story. It's also more fighting and action(mech mostly) compared to Death Note's battles of logic. Although I'm a big fan of Jun Fukuyama as Lelouch, the dub also does a great job. The show also starts off with a bang in the first few episodes, really pulling you in.

For a girl I may suggest Ouran High School Host Club. A very enjoyable comedy with an interesting reverse harem set up full of bishonens. Another fun show would be School Rumble which has a very large cast full of enjoyable characters.

Any slice of life/romance fans I'd suggest Honey and Clover. An excellent story depicting all different kinds of love along with the experiance of growing up and maturing through college and life.
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
Some good recommendations there, particularly from EpiC.

Anything with very particular styles; requiring knowledge of anime tropes/culture (with inside jokes); having too much fanservice especially linked with the typical high school setting; too retro and/or childish, - all that should not be shown to new people.
Movies would work well, as EpiC said, Satoshi Kon's works, I guess something like Sword of the Stranger should work, too.

As to series, I would like to add Natsume Yuujinchou. It manages to avoid annoying elements, and be very Japanese at the same time.
hipnox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
Teh Rules wrote:
3) Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, do not post it. Please post detailed answers to questions; lists and one-liners do not contribute.

[EDIT: You, too. Put reasons, even if they're a sentence long. -TK]
poilk92

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
@hipnox

I like your approach but I think there is some anime that is just head and shoulders better for introductions like

Cowboy Bebop (show or movie)

Elfin Lied (they are usually too invested to be scared off by the 9 yo nudity later in the series)

FLCL (never met anyone who didn't get sucked in by this one)

Kino's Journey (This is for that one friend who thinks he is too smart and mature for anime)

Samurai X Trust & Betrayal (There are one or two cringe moments in the dub but this is just amazing and I challenge you to find many who would disagree. This is another good one for friends who don't take anime seriously)

Baccano! (A little confusing but the action is great and its a good dub so there is no language barrier to put people off)

Darker Than Black (Cool and easy to digest)

Gurren Laggan (Very fun to watch though the sudden change of mood in the show has backfired on me when showing noobies)

Trigun (Not the best but its definitely good and likable to a wide range of people)

Full Metal Panic (Everyone likes giant fighting robots!)

Black Lagoon (If the action doesn't hook em the engrish sure will)

I wouldn't show anyone NGE not just because I personally don't like it but also because its a pretty heady brew of strange references and surrealism
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Anything by Miyazaki. Then, you just slowly ease them in with some other things.

If they don't like Miyazaki's stuff, then at least you'll have the comfort of knowing who to avoid hanging out with.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Shows like Eden of the East, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Gurren Lagann have always worked well for me. I think its easier to start people of with movies though. I use movies like Paprika, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Miyazaki films to do this.
I think things Paprika and Gurren Lagann are so well animated, and do a great job of showing people the kinds of things you can do with animation. I could also say the same about Eden of the East because of its awesome opening and closing themes.
I'd say the most important thing is to find really exemplary genre pieces. If someone likes the Born Identity, its a pretty good bet they're going to enjoy Eden of the East. If they like feel good movies, show them a Miyazaki film or The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mister V
As to series, I would like to add Natsume Yuujinchou. It manages to avoid annoying elements, and be very Japanese at the same time.

You know, I completely forgot about this show and I really liked it. I think it could be quite effective. I'll have to try it sometimes.

Quote:
poilk92
Elfin Lied (they are usually too invested to be scared off by the 9 yo nudity later in the series)
Baccano! (A little confusing but the action is great and its a good dub so there is no language barrier to put people off

I tried Elfen Lied more than a few times and it did not work out at all for getting someone interested in anime. However, I've watched a few people watch the first half of episode one before and it garnered, to this day, some of the most amusing faces I have ever seen in my life.

I also tried Baccano! once. I thought it would be a great entry piece until I realized that the first few episodes are extremely confusing to newcomers. My friend was so confused he never watched the second episode even after admitting it was cool.
However, Baccano! has been a great follow up piece to Cowboy Bebop and for people who have a couple of the more mature/complex anime under their belt.

Quote:
wanderlustking
I think things Paprika and Gurren Lagann are so well animated, and do a great job of showing people the kinds of things you can do with animation. I could also say the same about Eden of the East because of its awesome opening and closing themes.
I'd say the most important thing is to find really exemplary genre pieces. If someone likes the Born Identity, its a pretty good bet they're going to enjoy Eden of the East. If they like feel good movies, show them a Miyazaki film or The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Oh Eden of the East, of course! That could work out really well. I wonder about the first part of the first episode coming off as kind of childish though.
I was toying with the idea of Gurren Lagann, but I also think that it may be a bit too over the top. And Yoko...

Does anyone else find it extremely difficult to use comedy anime as a point of entry for comedy fans? I am having trouble thinking of any comedy anime that could work...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3