• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ANN CEO Speaks on Oreimo Episode Leak

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
irosylph wrote:
Fair point - although is time shifting streaming media in the US actually considered a copyright violation (because it's somehow different to TV/VCR and so not fair use), or a DMCA violation (it's not the time shifting that's the problem, it's the breaking of the [usually frankly laughable] encryption on the stream)?
I think that its the DMCA in the first case as well, unless there was already a precedent that videotaping a cable video-on-demand show was not a fair use.

Indeed, I would not be surprised at all if material available on demand but for a possibly limited period of time was carved out in the original time-shifting ruling.

Hurray ~ one more thing to ask the guy with the law degree at school in a term when we teach at the same time. Mind, he's not a lawyer, unless he's passed his bar since the last time I talked to him.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I can't help myself: I'm just like one of those rubber-necking drivers slooowly cruising past the scene of an ultra-serious accident. You know what kind of accident that I'm talking about: The kind of accident where the jaws of life are trying to extract some broken and bleeding body without killing it; and some people are walking around, alternating their wailing with full-throttled screaming; the kind of accident where there are more fire/rescue personnel and police officers around than you can shake a stick at; and, off to the side, there's some TV dingbat sticking a microphone in somebody's face asking, "Your best friend was declared dead at the scene of the accident. How does that make you feel?*"

I just can't help myself. So what follows is a decidedly unsystematic listing of links that I found via Google.

• First up is a pithily snarky comment (#50).
  • Next up: A snarkier posting (#37) that really takes it to ANN.
  • But coming up 3rd is a real piece of work. He's easily the snarkiest one of the whole lot.
  • And finally, batting cleanup, is this unpretentious little ditty: With a title like "Love Your Neighbors... Even ANN" you'd think that it would be snarky to the nth degree. Such an expectation would be quite understandable -- but you'd be wrong. Read this entry and surprise yourself.

Like I said above, this incident has been like one of those god-awful accidents that you just cannot tear your eyes from. You know that averting your eyes is the decent thing to do; but you just can't HELP IT!!!

*Here's a true story: Up in north-central Michigan -- this would have been sometime in the mid-'90s -- some kindergartener was angry with a classmate; so he took his uncle's gun (said uncle was a drug dealer) to school the next day and killed the offending classmate. Here's what's so unf---ing believable: Some big-shot from WDIV-TV (Detroit) went up and asked one of the kindergarteners how he felt now that his friend was dead.

Here's another true story. There was an ultra-serious train accident in D.C. last year. Approximately ten (10) died at the scene -- it took rescue workers a while to gain physical access to the accident scene -- and two or three dozen more flooded all of the local hospitals. Naturally, the media was there in full force. So this Washington Post reporter is getting this tragic story out of some teenager about how she witnessed another woman lying next to herself slowly die. But this reporter was having trouble conducting the interview. No, the difficulty did not lie with the teenager being hysterical about witnessing such unexpected mayhem, destruction and death; and furthermore, the difficulty was not coming from the reporter's end either through inexperience or shock at what she was hearing; no, the difficulty lay in the fact that the said teenager kept losing consciousness during the interview because of the physical trauma that she had suffered from the accident.

Isn't there supposed to be an ethics curriculum that all journalist schools are supposed to teach?
Likewise

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
ANN and Funi streaming are cool I guess... for the US.

If Crunchyroll is your only option (and I live in the Netherlands so I'm relatively luxurious on that part) then yes I will use fansubs for all that's left (and that's plenty, for instance, I really like OreImo). Imagine if you lived somewhere outside of the Crunchy area. Apparently a lot of Americans don't have that imagination. If you say the people outside of the crunchy should support interests with their wallets, it's a real chicken egg problem. Why pay for something so limited?

Directed at most of all ye high horse sitters in the thread. I sincerely hope both ANN and Funi don't license streaming anymore in favour of Crunchyroll.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
Likewise wrote:
ANN and Funi streaming are cool I guess... for the US.

If Crunchyroll is your only option (and I live in the Netherlands so I'm relatively luxurious on that part) then yes I will use fansubs for all that's left (and that's plenty, for instance, I really like OreImo). Imagine if you lived somewhere outside of the Crunchy area. Apparently a lot of Americans don't have that imagination. If you say the people outside of the crunchy should support interests with their wallets, it's a real chicken egg problem. Why pay for something so limited?
What does "outside of the Crunchy area" mean? What brings more streams to an area on Crunchyroll is more subscribers from that country and more views of the material that is available. Rob Pereyda has said flat out that, if 2,000 people subscribed from HK, Crunchyroll could get a lot more content available in Hong Kong.

Indeed, the recent increase in series available in Singapore, Malaysia and the Phillippines seems to be exactly that ... enough people subscribed to get the limited world-wide releases available that Crunchyroll could use those numbers to get more releases.

The only country that is entirely blocked from Crunchyroll is Japan itself.
warnenANN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Just bumping, statement said refunds were going to be given in a few days, checked my paypal account and nothing as of yet. Any word, it's not much but still...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15