• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Jesus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitsune_otoko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I spoke to soon. Laughing

Chill, peoples.

Quote:

I'm guessing you are just having a Hissy-fit because *gasp* someone has a different opinion/take than you. Shock!

Also I'm still trying to figure out how Christians could say that this is disrespectful yet say "you don't believe in what I believe, therefore you are going to hell".
- Fallen Wings

Aren't you having a hissy-fit because someone has a different opinion then you? Double standards much?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
This manga sounds like a more entertaing piece of fiction than the Bible. *zing!*
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:08 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
This manga sounds like a more entertaing piece of fiction than the Bible. *zing!*

Ehh, I found the Bible more interesting. The manga has prettier pictures, though!
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:12 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Anyway, our current artist is Azumi Ryo, and you can see a preview page (textless) from 2008's Manga Mutiny HERE. Manga Mutiny and Manga Melech (both by Azumi-san) can be purchased from Amazon and MIGHT be found at your nearest Barnes and Noble or Borders, but they have a tendency to put us in the "Christian Inspiration" section instead of the manga section Confused, so you may have to search a place you wouldn't normally go. And I hope that doesn't sound like an advertisement, because I know we're not supposed to do that here. I just want to let you know where you can see her work.

Cool, thank you! I own Manga Messiah, but haven't picked up the others yet. I'll have to go looking for them.

I actually like the Jerusalem Bible, which has somewhat old-timey language but isn't as hard to read as the King James Bible. The important thing, I think, is being able to understand it, in manga or print. Wink
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Le sigh. I had actually recently read the first few pages of it, and it seemed like it would be a largely-accurate, or at least an interesting read as far as the New Testament account is concerned. Plus, I was generally impressed by the art. I dunno...

On one hand, I think it would be awesome to have a heartfelt and interesting graphic novel portrayal of Christ-- not only written by a believer and talented writer, but drawn by a realism-oriented artist. Whatever would become "added in" could give more detail to the physical/cultural setting and emphasize qualities that may be hard to pick up on Christ's character upon non-contemplative reading.

Yet on the other, there are thousands upon thousands of readings that can be made of the Bible, and there are different points of emphasis to Christ, even among even Evangelical writers. Plus, as wonderful as it would be to reach a new audience with a graphic-novelization, "manga" (or, to a far greater, the super-artificial "manga style" employed by some American artists) isn't necessary to communicate Christ's message. The Bible certainly stands superbly on its own. And it seems to have been communicated well at least ONCE through pretty much every other media format out there, not to mention through the countless mission trips and out-reach ministries out there.

Still, I'm a great lover of graphic novels. Maybe there's already a superb graphic novelization out there on Christ and I'm missing out...

(Btw-- I probably won't mind reading that Jesus/Buddha manga for chuckles. Its first chapter already got a few out of me)

As for the portrayal in this manga, it probably would be offensive to some Christians, as a preacher's kid, I do think it's kind of boring, especially since Jesus seems to be portrayed as the guy caught in the middle of everything.

Just as a note, Jesus wasn't always "nice". He went into the temple, saw they were selling things, got mad, made a whip out of leather, and then chased them out of there with it. He offended the religious leaders A LOT and that's why they wanted Him to die, is because he ticked them off a lot by constantly calling them hypocrites and false teachers.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

As for the portrayal in this manga, it probably would be offensive to some Christians, as a preacher's kid, I do think it's kind of boring, especially since Jesus seems to be portrayed as the guy caught in the middle of everything.

Just as a note, Jesus wasn't always "nice". He went into the temple, saw they were selling things, got mad, made a whip out of leather, and then chased them out of there with it. He offended the religious leaders A LOT and that's why they wanted Him to die, is because he ticked them off a lot by constantly calling them hypocrites and false teachers

Wait.... so that part of him bringing down the market was left out of the manga? (sorry if that was already mentioned in the article, don't feel like going back to read over...)

Hope that last part is being directed towards more of the general audience and not just towards me. I already understand his not "always being nice;" he's always been the Lion and the Lamb. Heck if anything, the watered down version of Jesus being just a nice guy annoys me as much as any version that's pure judgment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
kitsune_otoko wrote:
Quote:

I'm guessing you are just having a Hissy-fit because *gasp* someone has a different opinion/take than you. Shock!

Also I'm still trying to figure out how Christians could say that this is disrespectful yet say "you don't believe in what I believe, therefore you are going to hell".
- Fallen Wings

Aren't you having a hissy-fit because someone has a different opinion then you? Double standards much?

Er, nope. I'm not.

Obviously you really need to understand what a hissy-fit is. Basically it is when someone throws a tantrum like a little child about something that isn't that big a deal. Aka, "Why do this at all. This is disrespectful. Tigers go om nom nom at your hands" etc

All I did was say, in a very satire way I must admit, that he was acting like a child. Then propose that perhaps his beliefs themselves are disrespectful (I did not say they were - I said I was still figuring it out).

And considering I didn't throw a hissy-fit, didn't even say that his beliefs sucked (not that I believe his beliefs suck - that is against MY religion) - and whatever your belief of "double standard" is, it doesn't apply.

But now I have just done a little hissy-fit to try and explain to you I didn't. Now THAT is irony.

*crawls into bed and orders in Jesus via Internets*
kitsune_otoko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Wings wrote:
kitsune_otoko wrote:
Quote:

- Fallen Wings

Er, nope. I'm not.

Obviously you really need to understand what a hissy-fit is. Basically it is when someone throws a tantrum like a little child about something that isn't that big a deal. Aka, "Why do this at all. This is disrespectful. Tigers go om nom nom at your hands" etc

All I did was say, in a very satire way I must admit, that he was acting like a child. Then propose that perhaps his beliefs themselves are disrespectful (I did not say they were - I said I was still figuring it out).

And considering I didn't throw a hissy-fit, didn't even say that his beliefs sucked (not that I believe his beliefs suck - that is against MY religion) - and whatever your belief of "double standard" is, it doesn't apply.

But now I have just done a little hissy-fit to try and explain to you I didn't. Now THAT is irony.

*crawls into bed and orders in Jesus via Internets*

In that case, my bad. It just sounded to me like there was a little bit of a bite to your post.

Sorry.

We coo? Cool

Edit: I do know what a hissy-fit is. Laughing It just sounded to me like you were a touch riled by the fact that he had a different opinion, hence the double-standard.

No hard feelings, though, right?
REDOG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, the offended christian guy meant he was offended not just by the main manga being talked about here, but by other mangas reminded in the article. The one where jesus come back to life as an hot girl making christians need to love jesus more visceral, and the one with jesus and the buddha as student roomates, and the one with jesus as a vampire.

Now, i don't justify him or not, but, i wonder if it is more clear now?
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote
kitsune_otoko wrote:

In that case, my bad. It just sounded to me like there was a little bit of a bite to your post.

Sorry.

We coo? Cool

Edit: I do know what a hissy-fit is. Laughing It just sounded to me like you were a touch riled by the fact that he had a different opinion, hence the double-standard.

No hard feelings, though, right?

Nah, it is cool :3 Just the internet makes the worst of me Neutral

Sorry for sounding like a douche ^^; My bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3