• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2: 2010 N. American Anime Market Worth US$160-200 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I seriously doubt Strike Witches is a tentpole title in the making no matter how many seasons FUNimation brings us.

I thought that show was designed to pitch tents, no? Smile
ItAintEazy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Question: How are Blu-Ray sales in comparison these past years?
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I can't see how the anime market would ever overtake the manga market in Japan when they were already using more paper to make manga than toilet paper in 1984. I mean their manga sales in 1995 totaled between 7 and 9 billion dollars, which at the time was twice the GDP of Iceland. It's as someone pointed out earlier: it's more affordable, and it makes more sense for people who spend an average of 2-3 hours a day on public transportation to pick up a manga or two, or ten, to read.

(Information extracted from Frederik Schodt's Manga! Manga! and Dreamland Japan texts)
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
My question- is this just the dvd market? Or is it the anime market, as in profits from tv and streaming too? If it's the whole kit and kaboodle, that's all the more depressing to see.

http://twitter.com/Comixace/status/26671298896 And from ICV2's Digital Comics conference comes this tidbit-
"Manga market looks to be down 50% over 3 years #icv2"
[via Heidi of http://www.comicsbeat.com ]
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
hussar67 wrote:
Disc and merchandise sales are still important, but it looks to me like the future revenue stream will be based on advertising connected to streaming media.

I recently came across a 2009 ANN article where Crunchyroll hoped to hit 400,000 subscribers by 2012. At $60/year and over half of Crunchyroll's revenues going to the rights holder, if they (or some equivalent combination of subscription sites) were able to hit that kind of subscriber base, that would feed back over $12m to the rights holders.

At roughly a penny a view back to the rights holder for ad-based streaming, that would require 1.2b ad-based views of episodes to duplicate. Divide that by your own guess for episodes per year by free-stream viewer to get how many free-stream viewers you'd need to match, but I reckon it'd be somewhere in the millions.

If the physical media feed back 10% to 20% royalties, they are generating on the order of $16m to $40m in royalties to the rights holder. So while subscription based sites can offer some cushioning of the blow, they are a long way from replacing the $50m to $100m that the North American market would have been feeding back at its peak. And its a lot more promising if its on top of physical media sales rather than in place of physical media.
madhattr999

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
How much longer are illegal downloaders/uploaders going to deny that they are killing the industry? Every day the evidence grows stronger and stronger.

Correlation does not imply causation. This is not proof.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

Assume the industry is in decline (which is not yet conclusive to unbiased experts, not that I am one). To prove that illegal downloads are killing the industry, you must do the following:

First, you need to prove that lost sales are what is accounting for the decline in the industry. Then you need to prove that illegal downloads are contributing to a significant amount of overall lost sales. And finally, you need to prove that lost sales due to illegal downloads are negatively affecting the industry, more than they are positively affecting the industry (advertising and popularly, etc).

Then the evidence will be strong.

Regardless of this debate, BUYING MORE DVDS will help the industry. If fans who care about the industry do that, it will help. But downloading and buying are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited by madhattr999 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
back then anime was helped by the likes of adult swim
Japan has continued charging rediculous licensing fees for their work.
If Japan wants anime to be popular in the US then they need to make their good classic titles available
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
"good classic" titles will barely sell here in the US. Just look at Hajime no Ippo. The average anime fan will want the newest series out from Japan, not the classic stuff.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
hussar67 wrote:
Disc and merchandise sales are still important, but it looks to me like the future revenue stream will be based on advertising connected to streaming media.

Which -- while I'm completely ignorant of the numbers, of course -- could provide some stability for the American distribution industry.

If you define stability as "peanuts with a few left over balls of lint," then yes, it's stability all right.

I agree with hissatsu01, the revenue from streaming still hasn't proven it self to be stable at all. Many people still have this outlandish notion that we can some how make millions off "internet money" (as Canadians on South Park would put it) when in reality the virtual market still has yet grow and mature to the extent that it could support a whole industry. Despite the hype and seemingly break out success of sites like Crunchyroll they still haven't shown enough evidence to back up their claims of huge revenues. And when they finally do release financial info they show us that they can only break even.

I'm not saying that down the line streaming cant be a successful way to support the weight of the anime industry. It's just that right now its simply an added bonus that some companies will offer. And it seems very likely that the only reason why they started offering streaming access was as a way to fight fansubs. Basically to try to get at least some of the lost revenue back from the cheap fans that complain about paying.

And as for the article itself it's kind of disappointing, thought not surprising, that the numbers are so low. What I'm really wondering is what the numbers were for last year. Cause if they were lower than the projected numbers for this year then that's a good sign for everyone involved I'd think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In its Internal Correspondence #73 publication, ICv2 cautioned that its estimates cannot be more precise because the retail store chain Walmart does not report its anime DVD sales.

This makes me very suspicious of the figures. Who else is not included? What about Fry's Electronics? So Best Buy's anime sales is practically gone as we've heard a year ago. But what about online retailers? Amazon? Rightstuf? Buy.com? DVD Empire? Hastings? Even more so, what about individual retailers utilizing amazon marketplace who can have significant impact? I'm pretty sure their finances can't be tracked via amazon (i.e. how much $$ they made in X, Y, Z category of video sales) if amazon was included in this survey in the first place.

And of course this doesn't include the few million presumably brought in by CR.

Mushi-Man wrote:

Despite the hype and seemingly break out success of sites like Crunchyroll they still haven't shown enough evidence to back up their claims of huge revenues. And when they finally do release financial info they show us that they can only break even.

But one thing you need to distinguish is that "breaking even"-- which presumably means being profitable by now if you assume growth after that last press release--only speaks of their costs. It doesn't cover and in fact discounts the money > 50% that goes back to the licensors. So they must be making quite a bit of revenue (mostly from subscribers) just to "break even" for themselves, which implies that a lot must also be flowing back to the licensors as well!
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
"good classic" titles will barely sell here in the US. Just look at Hajime no Ippo. The average anime fan will want the newest series out from Japan, not the classic stuff.

I'm saying they need a decent basic cable anime channel
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
And when they finally do release financial info they show us that they can only break even.
How did that "only" get in there ... you left another page open and it strayed in by accident?

More appropriate for expectations of an online start-up would be, "when they finally do release financial info, they show us that they surprisingly hit break even in under two years".

Unless Crunchyroll's subscribers average at a massive number of streams per month, their subscription revenues will be the majority of their revenue, and the main purpose of the ad-streams is as self-funding advertising for their subscriptions.

Paploo wrote:
My question- is this just the dvd market? Or is it the anime market, as in profits from tv and streaming too? If it's the whole kit and kaboodle, that's all the more depressing to see.
The info cited is from the third paragraph of their online blurb, so there may be more detail on the actual article which seems to be in one of those ink-on-dead-tree thingies. Tomorrow I'll see if I have it via academic database or inter-library-loan.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
And it seems very likely that the only reason why they started offering streaming access was as a way to fight fansubs.

This is the reason why the NA anime industry is worth $200M (my opinion).

madhattr999 wrote:
BUYING MORE DVDS will help the industry.

I disagree. The only thing this will do is sustain an industry relying on an ever-shrinking DVD market. Eventually, that market will reach "0".

Trying to get people to buy products they don't want isn't a business model. It's begging.

Mushi-Man wrote:
Many people still have this outlandish notion that we can some how make millions off "internet money"

This is definitely evident of those who "own" the content, especially when they leave it up to websites to embed 6 ads into an episode to pay for the up-front licensing fees as well as share in any profits the streaming may generate.

It's also a very idiotic thing to do given the history of the internet shows why it's a bad idea to treat content as a product.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
You know...

If 9/10th of every anime title that's been licensed weren't the same mean-spirited and cruel theme hiding in different costumes, the anime industry in the West would make MORE money as oppose to LESS.

I can clearly remember the stunts Kadokawa Shouten tried to pull with Hollywood's unwilling help... Instead of forcing the US entertainment industry to become Japanese for the sake of the otaku-tachi, Japan's anime industry should learn how to assimilate into this country. Lest they don't want to make MORE money. (Which is their "culture" thing, but hey...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4