• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Genshiken Manga to Return as Genshiken II in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm in the minority, but as much as I love Genshiken, I feel like the property really ran its course the first time around. That one-off chapter really felt unnecessary to me, and the introduction of the Hato character gave me visions of the Fonz on water skis, if you know what I mean. At best, I'm just cautiously atomistic about this bit of news (not that I won't be at the very least checking out the first few chapters).
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
uLTraCarL wrote:
Holy crap! Shocked Shocked

I am going to jump for joy now Very Happy

Took the words right outta my mouth, comrade. Ogiue and Sue are my favorite characters (though they all have special places in my heart) and I can't wait to get attached to new otaku too!

Just kill Kujibiki and I'll be on cloud 9.
Jure

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
This is totally unexpected... yet, unbeliveably awesome. I just hope we won't have to wait too long for Del Rey to pick it up.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
So I guess that one shot chapter from a few months back is where the new series will start from? Little hesitant that it'll be as good as the first series but fingers crossed!
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Cautiously optimistic. Ogiue was a good character, and some of that BL humour was hilarious, but I liked how the manga ended, and Ogiue can't replace the rest of the cast.
macloud

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority, but as much as I love Genshiken, I feel like the property really ran its course the first time around. That one-off chapter really felt unnecessary to me, and the introduction of the Hato character gave me visions of the Fonz on water skis, if you know what I mean. At best, I'm just cautiously atomistic about this bit of news (not that I won't be at the very least checking out the first few chapters).

Funnily enough i was just about to post roughly the same thing Takeyo.

With this recent announcement i thought that, Kio Shimoku fan that I am, would be over the moon about this announcement.

Yet why do feel a sense of foreboding about this project?

Why does it feel that this wasnt a "planned" release?
- How much of this was motivated by fan pressure, seemingly only knowing Kio Shimoku for Genshiken , and unable to recognise him as capible of writing anything else but that?
- Or was it by his publisher Kodansha being desperate for a new series that can guarantee good to high manga sales, and a steady supply of merchandise deals and Anime adaptation options.
- Or was it inspired by Kio himself who, after his previous two post - Genshiken releases [kujibiki unbalance and Digopuri] were both cancelled after two volumes, In part no doubt by Genshiken fans clamouring for more of the same.
has he finally thrown the towel in and given into fan pressure?

Or am I simply worrying about nothing? Gods I hope I am.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
GAH! Why don't we have a smiley for bobbing up and down giddy glee?

Okay, sure, it might not be as good as the first series (which had a nice wrapped-up feel at the end), so I'm not getting my hopes up too high. But it was a smart, funny series so I'm eager to see what the new arc will bring.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Del Ray, if you have any and I mean any common sense left, use whatever is left and license this.

While I don't like most the series you do license (fanservice is okay, but never buyable unless it's Love Hina) but Genshiken was the one series I did actually enjoy and purchased.

It's no lie that Del Ray really is a average manga licenser, but that might change my mind if you license Genshiken two. I am more than willing to buy the entire series of Genshiken two, even if it's a long wait.

Genshiken was a fantastic series and is one of a kind. I don't say this often (for obvious reasons) but it's one of the few slice of life series that I do consider a masterpiece.

There is more than enough moe/fanservice manga licensed, but hardly enough quality slice of manga that has been licensed. I don't buy manga often (not unless it's Shonen Jump) but I would buy Genshiken II, just like I did with the anime.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, Del Rey hasn't announced a new license in a while and people thought they were on the road to extinction after they laid off someone and canceled a few titles. They did say they will continue to do manga but that may depend on Kodansha's willingness to work with them Confused
Jimbobaka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little lukewarm about this news, agreeing with many of the users here that Genshiken had an amazing run and satisfying wrap-up. Despite my swirl of emotions, I'm looking at this as another series to look forward to.

Hopefully this series doesn't suffer the same fate as School Rumble Z. I'm sure this has a better chance of survival just because Genshiken II is more of a successor to its source material and School Rumble Z was filled with side/what-if stories which were fun to read but grew pretty tiresome after the 4th or 5th chapter.

I'm sure Del Rey knows that they'd be letting a great gem slip out of their fingers if they do not license Genshiken II, but senses tell me they'll play it safe and wait to see if it is something that will last for more than 3 volumes.

Looking forward to that Hato character and more Oguie Smile.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

Just kill Kujibiki and I'll be on cloud 9.

But then how would they have their 432538th "This Week's KujiUn was Awesome" meeting?
matrixdude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I really hope it'll be able to stand on it's own two feet because the first one ended really well.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm too glad that when I saw the tweet I jumped and screamed "Hell Yeah!!!"

For those not as optimistic as me, some wise words from Sasahara kaichô: "I do feel that it pretty much ended once the president graduated."
sykoeent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
Raoh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
I am as excited for this as I am slightly put off.

One the one hand, its a good thing to see one of my favorite series come back.

On the other hand, I know it's only coming back so they can use the fact that they will occasionally be bring back the original characters for stories, which will in turn make most of us read it just so we can get the satisfaction of knowing the characters we like are still doing good.

It's the same thing that always happens with Tenchi Muyo, but, thats not actually a bad thing (Although, that spinoff with Tenchi's half brother actually never had them appear, which was mostly disappointing, I am expecting them to do more with that).

Long story short, this should be pretty good, but until I actually read it, I may reserve final judgement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3