• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Songs that remind you of an anime character(s)?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't sure which section to put this in as it doesn't have to do with J-Pop/Rock or anime songs, so I figured this was the appropriate place to have this topic.

This thread is about songs you have heard on say the radio, tv, from a friend, etc and while hearing you would think "Hey! This song reminds of *insert name(s) here* from *insert anime title here*".

To start it off, the song Save me by Forty Foot Echo reminds me of Ed and Al from FullMetal Alchemist. The lyrics for the song are here (as I don't really want to post the whole thing): Lyrics. I admit to actually making an AMV of it years ago because it seemed to fit so well.

Here are a few examples from this song that reminds me of certain things I have seen with Ed and Al in FullMetal Alchemist:

Sit around and lose myself, again Ed is constantly losing himself in thought when it comes to science/Alchemy and this line reminded me of him.

Our mistake
Its all I remember
Trying to hold on to all of my ways
Ed is plagued with the horrific memory of seeing his brother's body disappear before his very eyes, because of his belief that they could easily bring their mother back to life if they studied enough Alchemy, and the end result of all their hard work. Ed is also trying to hold onto his belief, sometimes even desperately, of equivalent exchange and scientific facts even when his theories/beliefs are said to be wrong.

So save me, in my life
Just hold on
How could you realize
Reminds me of Al here.

You save me, in my life
Just hold on you got to realize
Reminds me of Ed here.

The chorus makes me think of the brotherly love between Al and Ed. They technically saved each other from being completely broken. Al gave Ed a reason/goal to continue to live on even after their failed attempt to bring back their mother. spoiler[Yes, Ed pretty much made Al go along with the bringing their mom back to life plan, and cost Al his whole body, but Al didn't blame Ed nor hate him for having lost his body. He encouraged Ed to live on till the very end (even punching Ed in the head when Ed was willing to let Scar kill him to spare Al's life).] If Al hadn't been there with Ed, let alone had his soul transferred to a suit of armor, I don't think Ed would have continued to live on after the horrors he experienced. And in regards to Ed, he also saved Al by promising his brother that he would do anything in his power to get his body back (even if it means not being able to get his arm and leg back or losing his own life). All in all, they are both telling each other "Hold on, I will save you! You may not realize it but I will somehow save you."

So my question to all you is: What song, you would hear, would make you think/remind you of a certain anime character(s)? And why?

Please don't put things like "Barenaked Ladies's song One Week reminds of Sailor Moon because they mention Sailor Moon and Anime babes!" as that is bluntly obvious. Razz

Have fun all!

Last edited by Rukiia on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:10 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Demon of Rashomon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
This may seem a little odd, but I always think of Gunslinger Girl when I hear 'Cut here' by The Cure.

It just makes me think of the relationships the girls have with their handlers. It's a sad song about missing all the possibilities the future they can't have together would hold. If I had to think of a particular character it would be Jose, it reminds me of how he misses his sister but also how he already misses Henrietta as she slips away.

Also in the same vein is 'Pictures of You' also by The Cure. It makes me think of Elsa, holding on to that one picture of her handler as she knew how litter he cared for her.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Bach's Air on a G String ALWAYS reminds me of Asuka, screaming out her defiance as she fights against impossible odds against the MP Evas in EoE. Whatever else anyone has to say about Asuka, you can't deny that was her moment of badassness.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote
And I DARE you to listen to Vangelis' faux-Chinese instrumental "The Tao of Love" and not think of a certain overly amorous purple-haired noodle-delivery girl... Wink
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
Okay, I'll bite on this one.

I recently heard Robert Palmer's classic "Simply Irresistible" again and it made me think of Holo from Spice and Wolf. In fact, the lyrics fit Lawrence's reactions to her in the series so well that someone has to do this as an AMV at some point (if it hasn't been done already). If well-done, this could be an enormously funny synergy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
I know that maybe that's not what the OP had in mind, but...

Although I am not watchign a lot of AMVs, but I came accross one done for Eureka 7 Charles and Ray with Seether's Broken as a background. It was so well done, and the lyrics fitted in the character's tragic story just perfect; since then every time I hear it I think of this couple.

Also, whenever I hear Pixies' Where is my mind, I think of Neon Genesis Evangelion's Shinji and Asuka, not merely because that's the exact question I was asking myself when I was watching the last episode.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
And I've always believed that whatever song was AMV'ed to Sana-chan from Kodocha would have to be from the Monkees, before eventually settling on "Sweet Young Thing".
(And not just for the cheap title gag either, although it doesn't hurt. Cool )
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
Whenever I listen to Motorheads Ace of Spades I think of Revy from Black Lagoon. The blending of the lyrics, "Lemmy" Kilmisters gravely voice and the pounding guitar work makes my mind run through all her gun battles in seasons 1 & 2.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I have a few myself Smile First up all of these songs are metal so if u don't like metal don't look them up hehe.

Alucard, Hellsing : Powerman 5000, Danger is go
- It really seems to fit with the kind of mental thrillseeking that is so much a part of Alucard's nature.

Abel Nightroad, Trinity Blood : Silent Force, Once Again
- A song that goes with his determination and patience but also his pain and bitterness.

Goku,Dbz : Hiberia, Tiger Punch
- Just because. Listen to the tune and you will know instantly. I laugh every time.

Revy, Black Lagoon : Turmion Katilot, Veta ja Lihaa
- There is something about the psycopathic thumping nature of this tune that makes me think of revy taking out a bunch of goons =)

Hei, Darker than Black : Communic, Ravens Cry
- Sad, Determined and Sagacic and carrying a baleful rage. I thaught this song suited hei down to a tea.

Hakuoro, Utawarerumono : Communic, Through the labrynth of years
- I thaught this was really representative of Hakuoro's story. For reasons that would only need a big fat spoiler tag.

Nicholas D Wolfwood, Trigun : Trivium, And sadness will sear
- Always makes me think of wolfwood this song. spoiler[I always imagined wolfwood as the little boy who wanted to be a hero but ended up being ground down by life. Until eventually he tried to reclaim what hed lost only to die in the attempt. Terribly terribly sad.]

I could probably name a few more and will if I think of them but those are the ones that come to mind quickly Smile
AnimeFreakOtakuFace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote
The song everything you ever... from dr. horrible's sing along blog reminds me of Lelouch from Code Geass spoiler[in the end when he becomes a tyrannical king over Britania]
watchdog210

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Every time I hear Still The Same by Bob Seger I think of Faye from Cowboy Bebop. The lyrics just seem to describe Faye to a perfectly.

Still The Same first verse:

You always won, everytime you placed a bet
You’re still damn good, no one’s gotten to you yet
Everytime they were sure they had you caught
You were quicker than they thought
You’d just turn your back and walk
You always said, the cards would never do you wrong
The trick you said was never piay the game too long
A gambler’s share, the only risk that you would take
The only loss you could forsake
The only bluff you couldn’t fake

The full song: http://www.poemhunter.com/song/still-the-same/

Tell me that's not about Faye. I have wanted to make an AMV featuring Faye with this song for a long time.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I can't think of a particular song, but some kind of Latin song sung by a women's choir, like you might hear in a Catholic church, would fit Belldandy to a T.

And how can you not think of Ranma when you hear "Dude Looks Like a Lady?"
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I'd be amazed if anyone on here knew of this brilliant song, it's only ever appeared as a download on the artist's works in progress download site. Because she wants to work on it more she withheld it from the alum she just released (Crooked) even though it was originally going to be the title track of the album.

It's a somewhat enigmatic and impressionistic connection but I always alternately think of Michiko and Hatchin from Michiko to Hatchin when I hear this song. Specifically many moments come to mind from the episode where Michiko fools around with the Hair-dresser's husband while Hatchin is getting frustrated with Michiko and having her dual with the local kids. If I had any idea how to make an AMV I'd make one for this song.

Speedbath - Kristin Hersh

in the boiling grip of bad love
i was dizzy with hunger and oxygen
and it was so goddamn cold

and then i can't see my shoe to tie it
eyes full of tears and i'm not a crier
and you were so goddamn cold

and ever since
there's only heartbreaking you
maybe you shoulda let me drown

all i wanted was to swim out to sea
i only wanted us to swim out to sea
maybe you shoulda let me drink
maybe you shoulda let me speed

in a well-lit mexican restaurant
i order badly, so we make out
tequila in our hands
we'll never breathe again
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1