• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Can't they use anyone new."

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
"Oh great, him/her again?"
"Not this guy again"
"I'm hearing the same voices over and over"
"God, they always use the same voice"
"Can't the companies increase their talent pool or something. It's Vic Mignogna/Brina Palencia/JYB/Crispin Freeman/Yuri Lowenthall/etc. in everything."

It's a very interesting argument, that being that of hearing the same voice actors in constant anime. And truthfully, it's an interesting one. To an extent the fans have a point. It can be tiring to hear the same voice actors over and over again. I, for one, cringe whenever I hear the dulcet tones of 4Kids Voice actress Erica Schroeder in any anime (oh why do you have to sound like that crappy Luffy voice in every role that you're in?) and even note that it's almost a meme to the amount of shows that DAN GREEN you'll accidentally hear him in.

But first of all, the small response to those is do you even realize how the voice acting industry works sometimes? The voice acting pool isn't enourmous already so, you know, sometimes it's just cheaper to use in-house and stuff

Now here's the long response and where it gets ranty. Why...does nobody complain...about this on the Japanese side?

(note: these examples will all be seiyuu I like very much)

-Do you know how easy it is to recognize Romi Park? If there was ever a complaint of "this voice sounds the same," it would be Romi Park. There is only one voice she does and that is that low boyish tone that always lands her the role of male characters like Edward Elric, Toshirou, Regene, that pervert in He is My Master, etc. In fact, it was to the point that when I found out she was Temari in Naruto, I totally couldn't freaking believe it.

-Takehito Koyasu. A brilliant seiyuu and very cool guy in both voice in interviews, most likely has the highest voice count in anime seiyuu. You will hear this guy in every season at least in three different shows. His profile is so huge that I can't even list specific examples. But then, what's this? You're saying you've heard Johnny Yong Bosch playing too many roles with the same voice? Oh yeah! That totally never happens all the time in Japan. It's so easy to recognize this guy. Just watch Gundam SEED or Wing. He was the masked guy in both of those so you won't forget him after that!

-Digimon, the great children's franchise once was a grand starting point of voice acting. Hell, the original voice of Mimi had that one episode just for promoting her singing breakout (it was the one with ShogunGeckomon). Now, you look at Xros Wars and nearly every single seiyuu (I'd honestly argue all of them) are immediately recognizable by voice alone. I mean, come on, Toei! Increase the talent pool a little.

It's like, total double standards. We get all excited when seiyuu's come out more and more (even though the influx of recognizable ones almost mirror America's. I mean, my god, the new boy and girl in Pokemon Best Wishes is voiced by Light Yagami/Setsuna F. Seiei and Mina Tepes/Korone) but when it happens over here there's constant complaining. Is it just so bad to have repetitive voice acting? Can't we just, you know, judge the acting itself in context instead of having this double standard going on here? I mean, some of this complaints are just getting out of hand to an extent. I almost feel sorry for Bosch with all the undeserved hate he gets sometimes.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't follow or care about VAs. My philosophy on it is: "If they're decent actors (which most are) who the heck cares if they're in a lot of roles." Unless the person's voice is really annoying, I'm probably not going to even care who's in what.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
My philosophy on it is: "If they're decent actors (which most are) who the heck cares if they're in a lot of roles."

We have the same philosophy.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
My philosophy on it is: "If they're decent actors (which most are) who the heck cares if they're in a lot of roles."

Yeah, the 3 of us. Besides, they've gotta eat, too--what sense does it make for people to get angry at people for doing their job?

I also agree that it's not cool how you practically never here anyone complain about frequent seiyuus, while the same can't be said for english VAs. We're a horrible fanbase. >.>

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wrathful

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Yeah, the 3 of us. Besides, they've gotta eat, too--what sense does it make for people to get angry people for doing their job?

I also agree that it's not cool how you practically never here anyone complain about frequent seiyuus, while the same can't be said for english VAs. We're a horrible fanbase. >.>

Apparently I agree with that philosophy, too.

Because those of us who are aware that same seiyuus appear frequently in particular shows knows how stupid and obvious to complain about that.

After being here quite a while now, I'm still not too fond of the majority of anime fanbase. They always find something new to complain about dubbing.
Gentry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't agree. It's boring having the same voices over and over as it hinders you buying into the character completely. Part of you will always be thinking that's "such and such" from another anime.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Gentry wrote:
I don't agree. It's boring having the same voices over and over as it hinders you buying into the character completely. Part of you will always be thinking that's "such and such" from another anime.

Okay, so now see, my question to you is, why is this perfectly okay for Japan to do. Much like hearing Tamaki is like hearing Edward Elric, why is that okay for Edward Elric to sound like Toushirou Hitsugaya and everybody loves it?

Why is that not "boring." Don't those who follow seiyuu always note that it's "such and such" from another anime?
Gentry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Gentry wrote:

Okay, so now see, my question to you is, why is this perfectly okay for Japan to do. Much like hearing Tamaki is like hearing Edward Elric, why is that okay for Edward Elric to sound like Toushirou Hitsugaya and everybody loves it.
Because I can't tell the difference. I'm not Japanese.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Gentry wrote:
That happens to you? That surely isn't the case for me. There are plenty of VAs who can alter their voices to the point where they're practically unrecognizable--if they're good enough, then they can easily take attention away from whatever characters they've played in the past and make you focus on the one they're playing now.

Hell, even when people use similar voices for different characters I don't even get the feeling you described in your post. Sure it's not just you, bro? xD.
Gentry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Gentry wrote:
That happens to you? That surely isn't the case for me. There are plenty of VAs who can alter their voices to the point where they're practically unrecognizable--if they're good enough, then they can easily take attention away from whatever characters they've played in the past and make you focus on the one they're playing now.

Hell, even when people use similar voices for different characters I don't even get the feeling you described in your post. Sure it's not just you, bro? xD.
Nah it's not just me. When a VA's on top of their game then sure I'll never know but the VA only has so many different versions of average american in his locker before the similarities start to creep in.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Why don't so many people complain about the over use of Japanese VA's? Easy, a lot of such fans who complain endlessly about the American anime landscape are weaboos. Japan and the Japanese are Gods and we should bow to them. You know a large group of fans now a days fall into this category. You can see many at your local cons. Now I'm not saying all or most fans are like this. Nor all people who do not like the American VA's. The ones who are though are a very loud and vocal group, but so is the case wth any and all haters. However a large group are really simply ignorant weaboos who wouldn't give the American VA's a chance to begin with. For such "fans" they have a predisposed prejudice and they'd complain about American VA's no matter what. Even if a VA won an Oscar somehow they'd still say the Japanese VA was better. I agree with the thought that if they give a good role who cares how often they're used? Judge the role and show on it's own merits, and judge the VA by their own merits in the show. Sometimes they're not right for one roll but excel at another. I do my best to go into each show with as little pre-disposed judgments as possible.
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how you can complain about something that adds value to the show. If it's a good thing, why not use it? For example, the Aston Martin, the best car in the world. Say, if every third car in the city became an Aston Martin, what would be the result? The novelty would wear off, but a) they make new models, and b) the quality doesn't degrade, and c) there is a sufficient amount of other top brands (read: other great seiyuu) whose cars are rolling in the same city.
The complaint might surface on the American side because there are much less VAs, but then I wouldn't know anything about that. And to me, personally, the diversity of the seiyuu, but also their work together is fun to follow.
Gentry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Why don't so many people complain about the over use of Japanese VA's? Easy, a lot of such fans who complain endlessly about the American anime landscape are weaboos. Japan and the Japanese are Gods and we should bow to them. You know a large group of fans now a days fall into this category. You can see many at your local cons. Now I'm not saying all or most fans are like this. Nor all people who do not like the American VA's. The ones who are though are a very loud and vocal group, but so is the case wth any and all haters. However a large group are really simply ignorant weaboos who wouldn't give the American VA's a chance to begin with. For such "fans" they have a predisposed prejudice and they'd complain about American VA's no matter what. Even if a VA won an Oscar somehow they'd still say the Japanese VA was better. I agree with the thought that if they give a good role who cares how often they're used? Judge the role and show on it's own merits, and judge the VA by their own merits in the show. Sometimes they're not right for one roll but excel at another. I do my best to go into each show with as little pre-disposed judgments as possible.
Sorry but this is complete BS, it's just that the Japanese are simply the best their is at doing VA work, it's a more attractive job prospect which therefore attracts a better array of talent. The more fish in the sea the greater chance there is you'll catch a big effing whale than your average pussy-o goldfish.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Gentry wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Sorry but this is complete BS, it's just that the Japanese are simply the best their is at doing VA work, it's a more attractive job prospect which therefore attracts a better array of talent. The more fish in the sea the greater chance there is you'll catch a big effing whale than your average pussy-o goldfish.

You really don't get how the voice acting industry in either country works at all do you? Especially that part about "attractive job prospect."

It's not BS, it has basis in complete fact (well, not the weaboo part but the rest of it yeah)
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Gentry wrote:

But that doesn't address the original question at all.

I'm not a big follower of seiyuu - heck, there's only a couple I could recognize by name upon hearing them - but even I can recognize when I've heard the same Japanese voice using the same kind of delivery in all too many different series. Superior talent or not, it still gets old hearing the same Japanese voices over and over again - and I don't speak Japanese, either.

(Now, I'll also admit that there's certain English dub voices I hear a bit too frequently for my liking, too, so I'm not playing favorites here.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5